As reported earlier on the old km forum, there is some problem with using big motds.
When they reach a certain size, some random garbage appears after the last line of the motd.
I thought I'd try something.. I added #c255# to black out the garbage characters.. and instead, it seemed to clear it.
Some time later, I decided to add a couple lines. I guess that pushed it over the edge. The MOTD looked fine. No garbage characters appended to it. But as soon as I tried to login, wcs would crash.. tried it about 5 times and the same. then I shortened the MOTD by a few lines and it was back to normal. No garbage and login worked ok.