gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever May 04, 2024, 11:28:33 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  2.2 patch makes cpu run like crazy for hours
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 2.2 patch makes cpu run like crazy for hours  (Read 1996 times)

Gellidius

2.2 patch makes cpu run like crazy for hours
« on: February 06, 2006, 07:04:16 pm »
I've installed the 2..2 patch and am using 3.54b4; many times a day, winmx (through Explorer.exe) seems to ul a blocklist to winmxgroup.net which looks fine by me, but it takes hours to do it, and during that time uses so much cpu that i can't even get on Internet;  result says: "connection problems?" I have given permission to my f/w for those ul's. Pentium II 233MHz; 191RAM; Win2k; ZA security suite.  During that time, MyNetWatchman is running like crazy as ZA log fills up to 1MB in a short time, which makes it worse. The whole thing is like running around in circles. Anything I can do to have this patch working right ?  Thanks.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 09:51:14 pm »
Could always add the blocks to your FW or PG2/Lyte and run the Pie Patch instead, but im sure one of the guys here will offer a "smarter" solution. :D

KM

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 10:02:22 pm »
well, ignoring the fact that the post looks rather suspicious (the only times i have ever seen anyone call the downloading of the block list "uploading" is within the pie groups discussions, and it was conveniently replied to by knobby with a typical pie advert and i'm almost certain the next post will be "oh, that worked, pie is great, everyone get it")

however if that isn't a staged post and you really are having an issue like that, i very much doubt it it anything to do with the block list but something happening at the same time, any further info? (you are obviously using some advanced tools to monitor the internal workings of winmx to have identified it connecting to winmxgroup.NET for a blocklist, rather than simply seeing a connection to germany.winmxgroup.com which is any any connections will show up as which of course has no indication of either blocklist or winmxgroup.net)

Gellidius

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 10:56:08 pm »
I'm not putting anyone on, it is my f/w that identifies it: connection requests (mistook that for ul's) going to "blocklist.winmxgroup.net, or cache#winmxgroup.com ; (of course i thought they should be dl's ! ) I know also that Explorer.exe tries to send those requests to the above addies, as well as winmx itself sometimes; Maybe those  are only a request to update the blocklist, i am not sure; (don't know much about the way pc's work, i'd rate myself 2/10).  Even if i have given permission in the f/w for this connection: 82.195.155.5 , sometimes it works, but most of the time, the connection is blocked, so the attempt at connection goes on and on... All those are monitored by MyNetWatchman who filters everything, but it does let those pass. The end result: winmx and ExplorerExe and ZA and MyNetWatchman are all working full time, until i decide to shut everything down and restart. Sometimes it works ok, sometimes not. This is the best way i can explain this in my unknowledgeable way. Hope you can help because I would very much like to use this 2.2 patch.  Thanks

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 06:37:33 am »
Quote from: KM
conveniently replied to by knobby with a typical pie advert and i'm almost certain the next post will be "oh, that worked, pie is great, everyone get it")

1. Not a staged post, i would never do that.

2. I have more respect for this site, i wouldnt spam it with loads of Pie links, a courtesy not shown by yourself elsewhere.

3. Please show me on this site where i have ever used a "typical pie advert"

4. Please help this user and quit being a baby

:D

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 08:15:22 am »
/me ignores the quabbling kids...

Gellidius,

there seem to be issues with WinMx and ZoneAlarm sometimes, causing the high cpu usage.
Please try removing WinMx completely from Zone Alaram, i.e. take it out of the list of allowed apps and let it ask you all over again.
Or have you tried turning off ZA for a while, just to see if it gets better?
Alternatively, have you tried another firewall?
Sygate personal uses less cpu and with your slightly old processor might be a better choice :)
It's available here:    

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Firewall/Sygate-Personal-Firewall-Free.shtml

Let us know...
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Gellidius

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 12:40:00 pm »
Nylly444, i  did remove winmx in the ZA program list, but it still did not work right, but I  don't dare shut down ZA. After my last post, only thing i saw that could still be done is reinstall ZA from scratch. So far everything works ok so it must have been ZA that was all screwed up. Thanks a lot all. And, pls don't be too suspicious of posts like my first one, that's what ignorance produces, and headaches too, trying to understand what's happening.

KM

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 01:48:25 pm »
so reinstalling ZA fixed it? well, glad to know it wasn't another staged post (sorry for being suspicious, but they like to do that to encourage flooding - the more flooders they get running the more money they make)

btw the only case i can think of that would cause 100% CPU usage would result in winmx crashing within about 10 seconds, so probably isn't what you experienced

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 09:43:12 pm »
I've seen it myself with Zone Alarm, never figured out what caused it though, I simply changed to sygate :-)
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 06:22:29 am »
ZA is well know for conflicting with Winmx, especially on primary, im not sure what causes this, or how a reinstall would help, best bet, avoid ZA altogether IMHO  :D

Gellidius

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 12:41:04 pm »
a couple of days after reinstalling ZA, everything's running fine till now; so the problem was ZA for sure. I used to see requests for ul'ing the block list, and those were most of the time blocked by ZA even if i had given permission for it. Now, ul of the blocklist just happens in the background and I'm barely aware it's happening. Thanks all of you for the help.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  2.2 patch makes cpu run like crazy for hours

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx