gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 09:34:09 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World  |  Site Feedback  |  Odd comment on homepage?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Odd comment on homepage?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
Odd comment on homepage?
« on: February 16, 2006, 02:57:01 pm »
To whom it concerns:

Some users of another forum have today been irresponsibly claiming the WinMX sky is falling in, it is NOT.

Whilst it is true there are some problems these are not new and stem from their own selfishness in not previously asking their patch users to block flooding, which is the actual problem some folks are experiencing.

We would ask those who are causing panic to stop their activities and use the winmx internet explorer panel to contact as many of their users as they can to ask them obtain protection, this will drop any problem down to managable levels once again.

To any Primary users who use a pie/host file to connect please make sure you are denying your machine to flooders at Macrovision.  
Usage of Peer Guardian2 is encouraged for this purpose.
Information on  installing PeerGuardian
Those who have the WinmxGroup DLL file are already protected and need take no action at this time.
Thank you all - Ghostship

If you are refering to my post here:

http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=39454#39454

Some folks may or may not be aware of the current Winmx usage figures, i wont bore you to death, with them, but primaries are a little low at the moment, and hence an reminder to all users to run primary where possible seemes appropriate, there is no suggestion of "the sky falling in" and this isnt about Primarys not blocking etc etc (insert same old crap here) as i have said this is a drop in actual primarys, its most likely just a glitch, but it never hurts to remind folks:

1. To connect Primary if they can

2. To use PG2 if they are using pie patch

This is all clearly in my post.

If you are referring to my post please explain to me the irresponsibilty of encouraging users to run protected Primarys, also please futher explain how i have led anyone to believe the sky is falling out?

Ghost:

If these comments are legitimate concerns of yours why not contact me and i would be happy to address the situation, my msn will be on shortly i i will need to discuss another matter with you. I trust this isnt just some anger fuelled attack at Vladds site, as that would not benift anyone, and you have been down that road before.

If your referring to something else, accept my apologies and please explain?

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 03:45:53 pm »
There is no anger Nobby, your figures are incorrect and you yourself made no attempt to confirm them with any of the other cache operators, surely a sensible move before starting a panic that will overload the help rooms with anyone and his dad whos download may just have timed out.

While I look at your own post in a reasonable manner I find the actions of prominent members of the the forum you mention in going room to room in an effort to cause alarm, wholly irresponsible.

You do not I notice address the simple measure mentioned to you on the frontpage of using the IE box to help the network, a much more useful measure of reducing the network traffic.

Bridges where burned yesterday Nobby and I along with many others find this sudden lack of primaries after banning those who could reasonably question the assertion suspicous to say the least

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 04:23:58 pm »
Ghost, there is no need to be suspicous, its simple, i was in Help Channel this morning and happened to be chatting with Sabre, discussing the current usage stats (a subject i want to discuss with you in msn, refered t in my last post.) Sabre then mentioned he has noticed a slip in primarys recently, I could have done nothing, but instead i posted a reminder to all folks to ensure they are on Primary if possible, and using PG2 if using Pie/hosts. I also posted link to tutorial.

As i have not quoted any figures i see no way for you to know what my figures are or how accurate they are, needless to say right now, the amount of users connected primary is down, i addressed that, nothing more.

As for your suggestion to add a message to the bar, thats not at all a bad idea, but hardly warrants a big text announcement on your home page. A pm to me or Jim woulda done the trick.

As for bridges burned, as you well know those were ashes a while back, nothings changed i have no idea what conspiracy is in your mind?

Simple, i dont chat with Sabre very often, our paths crossed this morning in channel, we exchanged comments, i had some concerns over what i was hearing (not the sky falling in for sure!) just a little concern and i took action to help rectify the situation.

thats all there is too it.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 04:42:26 pm »
I did mention the great idea a few times in msn to certain folks Nobby, try asking them, but regarding the frontpage I suggest you start your own forum if you dont like my opinions.

I fail to see how you not even being able to put a figure on this miraculous loss of primaries lends it any credibility, the reverse in fact.

Once again I have been honest and told you my simple concerns regarding panicing users and you are intent on covering your own position, do you not ever feel you should think of the users for a change.

Whilst members of the v44 room are spamming the other chat rooms with disaster stories the frontpage will remain, there is no other choice but doing the right thing.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 05:34:37 pm »
Quote from: GhostShip

I fail to see how you not even being able to put a figure on this miraculous loss of primaries lends it any credibility, the reverse in fact.

Once again I have been honest and told you my simple concerns regarding panicing users and you are intent on covering your own position, do you not ever feel you should think of the users for a change.

I can put figures out if i wish to, but to the average user they would have little basis of comparision, the issue was to ensure users were aware Primarys had dropped a little and they needed to get their primarys up and running, this was accomplished by a simple forum post. This is thinking of the users and the good of the network.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 05:51:58 pm »
Your post is more than reasonable Nobby if true.
I am of course not the average user and find it strange that an unmentioned percentage of primary users being online or off is thought to be so cataclysmic to the network, while the flooding was not worthy of similar effort.

Lets get to the point here, why is spamming this mediocre news though 1600 + chatrooms so important  ?

I actually received complaints from users who are banned from Vladds chat room about his room members spamming their rooms.

You could acheive a much better result using the method I mentioned, any answer to these simple questions ?

Obviously a sensible reply could see the frontpage change.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 07:41:06 pm »
Your post is more than reasonable Nobby if true.
I am of course not the average user and find it strange that an unmentioned percentage of primary users being online or off is thought to be so cataclysmic to the network, while the flooding was not worthy of similar effort.

Lets get to the point here, why is spamming this mediocre news though 1600 + chatrooms so important  ?

I actually received complaints from users who are banned from Vladds chat room about his room members spamming their rooms.

You could acheive a much better result using the method I mentioned, any answer to these simple questions ?

Obviously a sensible reply could see the frontpage change.

There is no doubt my post is true, its simple even if lets say Primarys are up not down its still sound advice to add some more clean primarys with pg2 isnt it?

I thought it a little strange too but so far have not come up with any other reason for it other than perhaps a seasonal change, having no data for % changes on winmx from previous years it impossible to analyse, but up or down the advice is sound.

As for spamming rooms, as far as im aware theres no pie decision to take this action, just as i decided it would be right to post i guess others decided to take a trip to the rooms. Not something i would do for what is as you point out mediocore news, but indeed mediocore news that made your homepage :D

Complaints? hmm well what can i say, hosts/admins are free to control spammers as they see fit, i have had 1 channel host contact me, to check if a change in her channel topic to highlight the issue was sufficiant, i thanked her and said it was great, now users entering that channel may be kick started into starting up their primary which may otherwise have been doing nothing, other channels may just prefer to kick, lol

And yes i agree your suggestion is on the face of it a good one, i dont know the technical requirements, i will pass the suggestion on ofc.

KM

Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 07:56:12 pm »
sabre... that would explain it, here are several other facts that he has stated to me that are all true and nothing he ever says is wrong...

a channel name on winmx can not be longer than 35 chars, a 40 char channel name is illegal and winmx will not allow you to do it
not sharing files helps the network, as does users disconnecting from the network (i bet he had a good laugh when you actually believed that one and started spamming it everywhere)
only he knows how to make a peer cache, nobody else could possibly make one but he could (still waiting for his, seem 2 other people do it but still not him...)
he made an entire OS by himself, but in the same conversation admitted he knows absolutely nothing about programming and can't even write a simple hello world program in any language without having to look things up
that there were 20 secondaries for every primary shortly after the "shut down", although admittedly this was the only thing i've ever heard him say that was based on any sort of truth, but was of course based on flawed figures and the true figure was that there were 20 flooders for every legitimate user - the closest i've ever seen him come to saying anything true

and now we can add that there are too many secondaries (yet again, he said this before, see the above) to the list of sabre facts?

the network is very tolerant to variations and exact primary:secondary ratios don't need to be enforced, as long as the balance is "close enough" the network will run fine, however if anybody does something to drasticly puch the balance either way then the network will collapse, and yes the network would fall to pieces with too many primaries, as searches would become effectively useless, the channel lists would stop working properly, and users would just start leaving because the network would no longer work properly

we've been down this road before, funnily enough that was due to sabre making things up to try and sound good and getting people to spam them all over forums as well...

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 08:28:38 pm »
ive given sensible answers to your Q's the rest is just mountains outta mole hill stuff.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 04:39:13 am »
I was in fact reffering to this post Nobby not the edited one.

I find talk of a crisis irresponsible and ask you and your friends in the v44 room to think hard about causing a panic that is unnecessary.

I have also been seeing much spamming of the pie site address across the web and chat room listings perhaps this was just the latest publicity stunt ?
If so I believe it is in poor taste.

Let me be clear again, your post was read and acted upon, with or without your knowledge by v44 room users and that was the point of my front page, to halt panic , being flippant with me regarding this matter will only see your status drop in the eyes of your fellow users.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 05:24:43 am »
Nobby,

Keep in mind I knew about the post you made, read it.. didnt like your wording and since I talk to KM regularly and he didnt see any need for a dramatic push for primary, was concerned.

When I started getting my msn and pms lighting up with panic stricken folks because members of v44 room where entering rooms and sending this message:

<ßôzânâ¤tTÞ¤> VERY URGENT TO ALL WINMX USERS! PLEASE READ: http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?

So, we added the front page message.

This combined with words like 'crisis' 'urgent' and so forth did cause panic among folks that had been through the fall days.  Hey we have some highly aware, highly enlightened folks these days.. they read.. they want to do whats best and most of all they are worried that at any moment they will find MX down again.  This is exactly why my point long ago that the flooding protection could make a feel-able difference if campaigned.

I do have to agree that your advice is good, as far as getting folks onto a primary if need be, getting pg2 etc.. Its not been said here it wasnt, but so would Ghosts points that this much energy directed into protecting us from RIAA connection problems would be kewl to see also..

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 02:00:59 pm »
There really is nothing to debate here, your response to my original post got my attention and i removed the word crisis, the same would have been dvia a simple pm with no front page headline and fuss required.

As usual a smear campaign is your response, so be it, as you said its your site and your point of view, your sentiments are good, your methods poor, no change there.

As for Boki, or anyone else spamming room, if its such a big deal, go take it up with them, i did no such spamming.

As for talking to KM, i did so myself last night for a couple of hours, said my peice, he had plenty of opportunity to take me to task over my post, instead we spoke on some other interesting topics as that one as you have already said is distinctly mediocore in importance, i still find it hard to beleive it made your front page.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 03:21:16 pm »
Nobby you also had an opportunity to pm myself regarding this but you chose a public route and tried to remove your poor judgement by editing it.

I have downgraded the frontpage threat already to medium and it will be removed when I am satisfied that all is quiet, possibly in the next day.

I am a little concerned as to why you thought KM would have made a special issue of something here, this site is after all controlled by Me Here and  myself  :?

Your vitriolic comments regarding this thread are unwarranted, I have been polite enough to provide proof and reasons for my concerns you have only a vague conversation with Sabre to fall back on for causing a potential panic.

A reasonable person would have offered those who where distressed by your post and the subsequent distribution of the alarmist information a simple apology for making an erroneus post but following a tradition you choose to blame those who spotted your mistake.

PS: on a personal note just get out of the war frame of mind Nobby, I,m not out to defame you and recognise your only doing what you think is right but your position comes with responsibility so all I,m basically saying is to exercise that responsibility before posting, as usual we are always  on hand to help with real emergencies, dont feel worried in making us aware of anything that concerns you, we are after all using the same network and I hope all working towards its continued existence.

This thread will be locked in 12 hours from now so feel free to have the last word and please try to make it something I can respect you for.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 03:36:38 pm »
O....Kay..
There really is nothing to debate here, your response to my original post got my attention and i removed the word crisis, the same would have been dvia a simple pm with no front page headline and fuss required.

First of all, I am not debating.
Second this is YOUR thread.
Third as I have already said the front page was done because of the spamming messages being posted in WinMx rooms, Not your post!
I appreciate you have changed your wording, but your correct, your post alone was NOT front page news.

As usual a smear campaign is your response, so be it, as you said its your site and your point of view, your sentiments are good, your methods poor, no change there.

Ditto!  This is not some smear campaign, no names mentioned, just words to let folks know that the network is not going down again.  Your turning this thread into a smear campaign Nobby and there is no reason for it.

As for Boki, or anyone else spamming room, if its such a big deal, go take it up with them, i did no such spamming.

Err no one said anything to you! and again this is your thread.  I had several pms, Msn messages and a few emails about this.. it went on the front page because people read that, not to insult you or anyone else.

Where have I heard this before: Go post what ever you want on your own site. This is our site Nobby!

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 04:40:47 pm »
PS: on a personal note just get out of the war frame of mind Nobby, I,m not out to defame you and recognise your only doing what you think is right but your position comes with responsibility so all I,m basically saying is to exercise that responsibility before posting, as usual we are always  on hand to help with real emergencies, dont feel worried in making us aware of anything that concerns you, we are after all using the same network and I hope all working towards its continued existence.

.This thread will be locked in 12 hours from now so feel free to have the last word and please try to make it something I can respect you for

The most sensible comment in the thread, other than mine ofc :D

I would have pmed to discuss it with you, but i really DID NOT see it as that bigger deal, it was simply a reminder to folks, nothing more, my choice of the word "crisis" was a mistake, when i re-read the post i realised it was more enphasis than was warranted and was edited out.

I do need to discuss a few things with you, perhaps next week.

lol this is quite funny really we have ended up having words over nothing at all.

If hosts get spammers they tell you guys and you put a warning up on the homepage? Damn, some of the rooms i goto get spammers daily, with threat of room crashing, end of winmx, i even heard one Room host spreading panic that in 17 days KM was gonna shut winmx down with a virus, i didnt realise i was supposed to report these spammers here.

:roll:

PS. that last paragraph was sarcastic humour, please take it as such.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 04:51:00 pm »
Further to my previous post i have added the following post on the thread:

Further to my original post, it has been bought to my attention "some" users are panicing that winmx is going down. This is a ridiculos over reaction, no such thing is happening, its just simply a slight drop in Primary users has been noticed, it seemed a good oppotunity to remind folks to connect up primary, with PG2 and help the network out, thats all.

If you think you should be able to run primary but seem to be unable to please visit: Vladd44 Help Channel_87A10051138D we will help you get the problem fixed and online as a primary.

Also please note if your running Pie patch and Primary, please ensure you are running PG2 this will greatly help keep the network clean and free from fakes:

http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6924

Also you can get Winmx, Pie Patch, PG2 and other stuff and info at www.mxpie.com

DONT DELAY GO PRIMARY TODAY!!!!

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
Odd comment on homepage?
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 06:13:52 pm »
'nuff said..  :wink:

Thread Locked

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World  |  Site Feedback  |  Odd comment on homepage?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx