gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 06:23:35 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  primary? bandwidth
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: primary? bandwidth  (Read 1837 times)

aniccia

primary? bandwidth
« on: February 24, 2006, 12:26:05 pm »
How do I know if I m connected as a primary or secondary?
What are the advantages or disadvantages between the two?

Tried to adjust my bandwidth to upload 7000 as suggested- but it jumps automatically to 14000, even with the tick in it the box.

What a wonderful program - if I only would know how to work it!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Aniccia

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
primary? bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 01:12:27 pm »
Hi aniccia,

Welcome to the site..

There are two ways to know if your connected as a primary:
The Networks page > Near the center you will see the two options, Connect as.. If primary is ticked you know thats you.

The other way is at the top of your WinMx screen, if you see
P= S= spm= then you know your primary, this is also a good way to know if your primary is functioning correctly.  If you have P=7 S=0 there is a problem.
Secondary will say at the top <Online hours:minutes:seconds>

Advatages to Primary:
-You are able to help support the network traffic and be a huge part of the system.
-You usually get faster speeds dling and upling
-You have more control over your WinMx settings
-You can host a room using WinMx.
-Some users get better search results, and download better.
-Can share upto 5000 files
Disadvantages to Primary:
-You are responsible for helping to block the RIAA, either by usng our patch or using Peer Guardian with a hosts file fix.
-Supporting network traffic uses more resources on your machine, slowing orther programs up for you possibly
-For some configuring ports in router, firewalls, modems can be difficult in order to make primary work correctly(S= a number)
-Most primary users dont get good channel list results
-If secondaries are not using the filters to search, your primary connection could be DOS attack (knocked offline) because of the massive amount of flooded files on WinMx now.

Secondary Advantages:
-No need to forward ports in the router or firewalls to make it work
-Better room listings
-Less resources used, therefor sometimes even better speeds for WinMx.
-No need to use special programs in order to block the RIAA from the network
Disadvantages of Secondary:
-Often and frequent disconnections, you rely on your primary to stay connected, if they drop so do you.
-Rooms lists, Search results are slower to finish loading
-Can only share a max of 3000 files
-Can have problems connecting to other users on Secondary if one of you does not have ports set properly.

Your bandwidth settings should be set according to your speeds of your Internet and also according to what your using ie: primary or secondary

If your running as primary limiting to 7000 is very low, and your allocated bandwidth is kicking in and allowing more upload speed i suspect.

Whether you run primary or secondary is going to be whats best for you, your right this is a wonderful program for many many reasons I think its the best p2p out there.  Its very flexible tho, and can have some advanced settings needing to be made to run best for you.  Every machine is a different case and WinMx allows for you to customize your settings for that reason, this can also be a bit frustraiting for new users and old alike getting yourself just right.  So play around with your settings some, see what works best for you, and then we can talk more about getting the bandwidth set right.

We can help you but first we need a bit more information, like are you going to try to set up a primary  that works best for you?
Would you prefer to set up a secondary that works best for you?

With those choices made then we can get you set up the best for you.  Set up for bandwidth and uploads, downloads .. etc.. are dependent on if your primary or secondary..

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
primary? bandwidth
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 07:30:53 pm »
Thats possibly the most detailed reply ive ever seen, Mehere, perhaps you should reference it into volumes 1-10 and laminate?  :D

bughunter

primary? bandwidth
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 01:39:39 am »
having read endless logs of vladd44 so called help room, i cant decide if its really a joke room or just full of ppl who have little in the way of real knowledge.
as what they perscribe as technical help is a joke, unless there standard response to what ever problem a user has is delete everything and install the pie patch to fix what ever ails you is any form of fix for anything.
thou i will give vladds help room plaudits for at last recommending blocking.......pitty this wasnt done four months ago....would have saved alot of fighting and bads feeling on both sides....
if me_here,s explanation is to much for you to absorb, perhaps she can brake it down into kindergarden talk for you....but even then it would be over your head...
but perhaps you feel more comfortable discussing anal retention subjects which seems the norm for YOUR so called help forum http://www.vladd44.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7247
this happins to be a real help forum and winmxworld.com is a real help room where real technical assistance is given to all users regardless of patch or politics...
so by all means stick around you may actually learn something

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
primary? bandwidth
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 02:45:26 am »
oh dear bughunter, i guess humour is lost on you, your like a broken record, same speach each and everytime, i have commended the work done be KM, Ghost, Mehere and plenty of others many timeshere and on other sites, i dont always agree with their methods, but i dont doubt their hard work and committment. My comment to Mehere was intended as part compliment, part acknoledgement of such a detailed response, and part humour.

One things for sure, im glad you have alligned yourself to them, they must have patients of saints to put up with your constant effort to reignite past situations.......  :roll:

As for your swipe at the humour found in the Cesspool area on vladds site, perhaps its best you dont visit, as you clearly are incapable of having a little fun. Perhaps you should visit this link in your quest for enlightenment:

http://www.store.yahoo.com/pttranscripts/unhu.html

Bahhhhhhhh humbug!!!!

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
primary? bandwidth
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 02:49:26 am »
Hey now you two,

this isnt the place to do this.....take it outside

aniccia

primary
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 04:02:52 am »
hi mc
Very much appreciated your detailed explanations!!

you stated - If you have P=7 S=0 there is a problem -

I have P=6 S=0
what now - what does it mean? :?  :?
a

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
primary? bandwidth
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 12:15:54 pm »
Aniccia,

As Bearded said in another post of yours, this means you have ports blocked somewhere, either router, dsl modem possibly, or firewall.

https://forum.winmxworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=1898

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  primary? bandwidth

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx