gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 11:59:39 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  /banip doesn't hold the ban in wcs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: /banip doesn't hold the ban in wcs  (Read 4754 times)

/banip doesn't hold the ban in wcs
« on: March 11, 2006, 07:12:42 am »
I'm an admin with some ban issues in the wcs based chat room. We have a serial pest who continues to mock us by entering the room immediately after he's been banned. The command used is /kickban <username> <Ip (or partial IP)>. The kick removes him from the chatroom but the IP ban doesn't keep him out. He is able to re-enter immediately. His IP remains the same. When /listban is run his IP and partial IP is listed in there, but he's able to get in regardless... with the same IP or partial that we have in the banlist.

I have been advised that Peer Guardian 2 or an IP ban placed in the room holders firewall will keep him out, but this doesn't solve the issue of a /banip command being basically non-functional.

FYI.. the chat room is passed around several admins who have varying OS and ISP's, ranging from ISDN, DSL and Cable and the IP ban isn't working for any of us who are holding the room.
PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

KM

Re: /banip doesn't hold the ban in wcs
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 09:30:30 am »
type /help in to the room, it tells you the correct use of the commands :-)

Available Commands:
 /help - this
 /me <text> or /action <text> or /emote <text> - Guess
 /login <password> - Log In (to gain admin access)
 /access - View current access level
 /channelname - Get the channel name
 /bot - Enable/Disable bot mode (for use by bots)
 /opmsg <text> - Send a message to the admins
 /message <user> <message> - Send a private message to someone
 /colour - View a list of colours available for coloured text
 /exile <user> <room> - Redirect a single user
 /kick <user> - Kick a user
 /ban <user> - Ban a user
 /banip <IP> - Ban a specified IP Address (partial IP valid)
 /kickban <user> - Kick a user and Ban them
 /listbans - List the current bans
 /unban <user> or /unban <IP> unban a user
 /topic <topic> - Change the topic
 /setmotd <MOTD> - Change the MOTD
 /redirect <roomname> - Redirect users to another host/room
 /stats - View channel stats
 /stats <user> - View user stats
 /who - List users in the channel
 /limit - Change the channel limit
 /reload - Load the server config file
 /forcelogin <user> <password> - Force a user to login (acts like they logged in with that password)
 /setaccess <user> <access> - Change a users Access

erm, i should have used a spell checker on that sooner... oops, lol

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 01:33:40 pm »
So   /banip needs a username with it, that it?
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 02:56:00 pm »
Thanks to both of you... firstly I've used the command help and got it correct (if i don't I get unknown command or access denied) so that's not the reason, and secondly, I don't ban the nic cos he changes it to come back, I know who it is through his IP so I need to get the banip command werking right to keep him out.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 03:51:03 pm »
Have you considered blocking the ip in your firewall? This has the advantage it will survive room restarts. or you could create a custom list "banned IP addresses" on your pc & add it to peer guardian..
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 04:27:17 pm »
the banlist of wcs is permanent, so theoretically it *should* work..

* nylly444 blames KM  :P :P :P
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 05:21:31 pm »
I keep them out of my room by doing an /banip <ip> then doing a /kick <nic>

That usually works for me. I dont like the /kickban command.......It never works for me.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 05:45:32 pm »
I keep them out of mine using either, but then I host on Ouka.....
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 01:12:02 am »
Thanks for all your input. Some of our admins don't have firewalls and we are considering the viability of PG 2. Kickban only seems to drop him out of the room, the ban doesn't keep him out.

Will try the double banning next time he tries it out in our room (i.e. ban then kick)

KM

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 02:16:24 am »
when you do a /listbans what exactly does it say for the ban that it's not applying?

there were issues with the bans not working that were brought to my attention a while back, those got fixed... or at least nobody mentioned it until this thread anyway (which at first mentioned entering the command incorrectly... just came back and read the other replies since)... the last bug that was fixed (in theory at least) i didn't know about for ages as nobody bothered to tell me so it never got fixed, the couple of rooms i keep an eye on seem to ban OK and nobody else seems to like telling me things judging by how long it took them the last time... lol

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 09:44:20 am »
When I run /listbans I see....

<Banned users>:
<IP Based Ban>
<IP Based Ban>

Those are both known net masks ... the command entered to put that IP in the banlist is both /kickban <IP that appears on entry> and then /banip <net mask>.

All our admins have the same IP Partial listed in their banlists as well. Regardless of who is holding that IP is able to gain entry except the one admin who has added the IP Net Mask to his firewall.

KM

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 05:45:26 pm »
so you weren't doing a /kickban <username>? (which is the correct use of kickban) - although a /banip should work with a partial IP some people did report it not liking them, although in what you just copy/pasted the first one would have no chance of working as it has an extra space in front of it :-)

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 06:09:30 am »
 My apologies for the incorrect appearance of the IP's. I included a space where there shouldn't be one. The procedure to banip was /banip 60.240. (using the option to ban a partial) with one space after the 'p'. All IP's that we have banned are able to return, (including nic bans) it's just this one which has become a serial pest.  Are you saying that the nic must first be banned ? If this is the case, a change of nic, but same IP will always be able to return to the room.... and this is what our pest has been doing. /kickban has worked for us, but only for the nic. The IP just isn't being banned for some reason. Is there a grammtical error maybe ? eg. use or lack of a '.' in the ban procedure ?

KM

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 09:56:17 am »
does an exact ban on the IP work? ie. putting the full IP Address in, although some people have differing results on partial IP banning

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 11:01:53 am »
We have both full and partial IP's in the banlist, with neither being kept out of the room. It seems to be failing totally to ban IP's.

KM

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 12:44:07 pm »
OK, just went over the code that handles bans (haven't looked at that part of it for ages) and i noticed a glaring mistake on my part which would have caused partial IP Banning to have not worked - of course the thing i found most surprising was not the fact that i made a little mistake and the partial IP banning wouldn't work because of it... but more how the hell have some hosts been banning partial IPs? the code was completely wrong! lol

just working on an updaqte... small flaw in that i seem to have misplaced the 1.7.3 source, and just went and applied the fix to 1.7.2... looks like i'll have to re-do the 1.7.3 changes again, DOH!

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 07:44:39 pm »
OK, just went over the code that handles bans (haven't looked at that part of it for ages) and i noticed a glaring mistake on my part which would have caused partial IP Banning to have not worked - of course the thing i found most surprising was not the fact that i made a little mistake and the partial IP banning wouldn't work because of it... but more how the hell have some hosts been banning partial IPs? the code was completely wrong! lol

just working on an updaqte... small flaw in that i seem to have misplaced the 1.7.3 source, and just went and applied the fix to 1.7.2... looks like i'll have to re-do the 1.7.3 changes again, DOH!

Lost the source code?!!!!!!!!!!!!  maybe time to distribute it to some trusted agents for safekeeping :)

as to /banip, does WCS tolerate/support the winmx /banip format?

iow: /banip [nick] <IP> [time]

I like to use the nick field for adding comments, so the reason for the ban can be noted.

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 07:51:56 pm »
It would be awsome if WCS can ban for a time limit like WinMx and all those other ones.

That way i wouldnt have to change bot scripts.

KM

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 08:00:33 pm »
i actually have no idea why the source code isn't in the usual place, oh well i have already re-done the changes (as well as fixing the banip bug, and a few other minor tweaks) - i think i might have been on someone elses computer when i did 1.7.3 and forgot to send a copy of the source home - because when at home i would have worked on it from my main programming directory, and the latest in there was 1.7.2

just doing a few small other changes to it now... the one thing i won't be doing is trying to change the usage of commands, because then people who perhaps didn't know the command was now used differently would find it suddenly not working, however the possibility of adding an additional parameter on to the end of the ban and banip commands to take a comment couldn't be ruled out, but that would mean a change to the format that the ban list is stored in (ie adding an extra field) which would cause slight complications with the auto update and using an old ban file to load the bans from...

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 08:36:49 pm »
i actually have no idea why the source code isn't in the usual place, oh well i have already re-done the changes (as well as fixing the banip bug, and a few other minor tweaks) - i think i might have been on someone elses computer when i did 1.7.3 and forgot to send a copy of the source home - because when at home i would have worked on it from my main programming directory, and the latest in there was 1.7.2

just doing a few small other changes to it now... the one thing i won't be doing is trying to change the usage of commands, because then people who perhaps didn't know the command was now used differently would find it suddenly not working, however the possibility of adding an additional parameter on to the end of the ban and banip commands to take a comment couldn't be ruled out, but that would mean a change to the format that the ban list is stored in (ie adding an extra field) which would cause slight complications with the auto update and using an old ban file to load the bans from...

I've been using the winmx /banip format all along.  dunno if it worked, apparently not :)  but it did take and store the infos afaik

15:31:18 <IP Based Ban>
15:31:18    s#!%&run-spammer-suker01__56_32923 82.50. 255
15:31:18    s#!%&run-spammer-suker01__56_32923 82.49. 255
15:31:18    Bigot-DestroyTheGayAgenda,SaveAmericaNow!!!!738_45643 71.255.35.242 255

but i understand recording the ban on the banlist, doesn't mean wcs will parse and enfoce it properly

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  /banip doesn't hold the ban in wcs

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx