gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 06:52:41 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  WCS Upgrade
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WCS Upgrade  (Read 3295 times)

Faithless_Sniper

WCS Upgrade
« on: March 12, 2006, 09:20:13 pm »
As a very loyal user of KM's WCS (WinMx Chat Server) i read a topic here at WinMx World about WCS advanced, the first thing i thought was someone had ripped KM's work off and it was not going to be as good as the original. I Believe that KM is a bloody good programmer, but what puzzles me is that KM did not think of the idea of the extra's that come with WCS advanced.

I Tried WCS advanced and it was a very good version of WCS allthough it crashed alot.

This post is not a moan and groan session for anyone but please KM consider adding these features into your version, as one of the problems i have is never trusting someones work unless you have heard good things about it and also try someones work untill it lets you down.

KM You have never let me down yet please amaze me.

KM

Re: WCS Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 12:59:16 am »
lol, actually there was a simple reason for not putting them in to the main WCS - because then WCS advanced wouldn't be needed, and string would give up and never bother, and possibly be so badly effected by the lack of sauces that he'd not ever try it again with other programs :-)

Offline String

• Core
    • winmx.p2pforum.it
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 01:01:52 pm »
KM thank you for giving me a toy to play with ... :lol:

Anyway a wcs update is really needed. This server is getting very old and so many people are going to use
a better one (like FXS). Very soon wcs will disappear from the wpn network.

The extra features in the "Advanced" edition are maybe a good hint.

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 01:27:43 pm »
I am forever a WCS user.

FXServer is too confiusing for someone like me......lol

KM

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 02:59:59 pm »
oh come on, you didn't just do what i think you did, did you?

I've been using that excuse for ages, now what excuse am i meant to use?

it's not fair...

* KM goes and cries in the corner for a few hours (yes, a few more hours of not having to update WCS)

oh well, i have to do a small bug fix anyway, might add a few things as well while I'm at it...

Faithless_Sniper

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 12:27:06 pm »
yey

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 07:06:36 pm »
See the WCS 1.7.4 thread folks for the latest release  :)

Offline Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK

• WANABE WINMX CHAT SERVER HACKER
  • Forum Member
    • The Rebelion
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 03:57:59 am »

So which things were added please KM? seems you added nothing, fixed 1 bug, and made wcs advanced now start to appear bugs in...

im lost at the benefits of this new version except to fix 1 bug in it

Could you please clarify for some of us?
[ìíÍIí¯Iì·´¯ìÍ]Íì•íÌí¯`·íI¯ìIÌì í]¡í¯ìIÎ Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK ÎIí¯ì¡[ì íÍIí¯Iì·´¯ìÍì•íÌ[Ìí¯`·íI¯ìIÌìí]

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 08:17:25 am »

So which things were added please KM? seems you added nothing, fixed 1 bug, and made wcs advanced now start to appear bugs in...

im lost at the benefits of this new version except to fix 1 bug in it

Could you please clarify for some of us?

KM's responsibility is to fix and improve HIS work.  And more than 1 bug was fixed in this new release as the webpage describes.  If you have bothered to read much about WCS advanced, you would know KM seems happy to have string add his creative efforts, so it is doubtful he would intentionally sabotage it.  But it is not KM's responsibility to tweak his program to maintain backward compatibility with 3rd party plugins.  The authors of the plugins have to keep up with KM and the changes he decides are needed for his program.  Otherwise it would be the tail wagging the dog.

You've made the problem known.  Whether it was some inadvertant change in 1.7.4 that caused it or some needed change of function isn't clear just yet afaik.  Relax and give them time to sort the matter out.

Offline String

• Core
    • winmx.p2pforum.it
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 02:45:07 pm »
KM is free to change whatever he wants in his programs.
(Hopefully the latest wcs should support the same Modt of fxs server).

So KM is also free to change those things that, having nothing to do with bugs or improvements,
are just intended to break down any 3rd party plugin.

Offline Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK

• WANABE WINMX CHAT SERVER HACKER
  • Forum Member
    • The Rebelion
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 03:50:56 pm »
This is noted String but he has praised your work in developing the add on and has encouraged additional add ons from other 3rd parties so to break them down now is a confusing step...lets hope it was accidental =D

And just to note...at GnarlySnarly

Quote from: http://www.kingmacro.net/
WCS 1.7.4 has been released, just a couple of bug fixes,

+   Fix bug with banlist
+   Add extra cache hostnames (it now uses all 30 of the winmxgroup hostnames to locate caches)
+   Increased maximum size of MOTD (i'm not going to give an exact size before it messes up, but i did have a test MOTD that took 5 seconds to load...)
+   A few modifications to increase performance

That to me is 1 BUG fix and 3 improvements not bug fixes so when i say "1 bug fix" i was actually correct,

Quote from: GnarlySnarly on Today at 08:17:25 AM
And more than 1 bug was fixed in this new release as the webpage describes.  If you have bothered to read much about WCS advanced, you would know KM seems happy to have string add his creative efforts

So if you had bothered to read his homepage you wld realise the updates made are not all "bug fixes"

But thank you for attempting to correct me nice to see someone on the ball

=D
[ìíÍIí¯Iì·´¯ìÍ]Íì•íÌí¯`·íI¯ìIÌì í]¡í¯ìIÎ Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK ÎIí¯ì¡[ì íÍIí¯Iì·´¯ìÍì•íÌ[Ìí¯`·íI¯ìIÌìí]

KM

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 05:30:36 pm »
the MOTD was a bug fix, fixed crashing with long MOTDs :-P

i also re-did the 1.7.3 changes because 1.7.4 was based on 1.7.2 so had to have the 1.7.3 stuff re-applied to it, that's why WCS Advanced doesn't like the reload button, because the ID for it (which is just a number picked at random and means nothing) is different to 1.7.3, simply changing that in WCS Advanced would fix it to keep it compatible with 1.7.4 - although it doesn't break WCS Advanced at all, just makes it look a little odd

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 05:57:14 pm »
Seems we have a conflict of opinion here, one group says why has it been changed and others ask why has it not been updated in so long, your doomed KM  :lol:

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 06:17:10 pm »
I would believe KM about his own program then anyone else!!

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 08:31:53 pm »
And just to note...at GnarlySnarly

Quote from: http://www.kingmacro.net/
WCS 1.7.4 has been released, just a couple of bug fixes,

+   Fix bug with banlist
+   Add extra cache hostnames (it now uses all 30 of the winmxgroup hostnames to locate caches)
+   Increased maximum size of MOTD (i'm not going to give an exact size before it messes up, but i did have a test MOTD that took 5 seconds to load...)
+   A few modifications to increase performance

That to me is 1 BUG fix and 3 improvements not bug fixes so when i say "1 bug fix" i was actually correct,

Not so fast.. actually you are not correct.  The size of the MOTD thang WAS a bug fix.  I discovered the bug a long time ago, and tried to get it fixed.  But at the time, KM couldn't put his finger on the problem and his attempts at fixing it made matters worse.  Seeing that, I stopped bugging him, fearing his continual attempts might eventually reduce the MOTD size to 256 characters :p  I don't know when i first reported it, but it was before this thread from last June:

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=173.msg613/topicseen#msg613

So it was clearly a bug.  Just one that few experienced [since most others don't tend to do things that don't make sense], which had a workaround [self limiting] and it was not a 'critical' issue.

Quote from: GnarlySnarly on Today at 08:17:25 AM
And more than 1 bug was fixed in this new release as the webpage describes.  If you have bothered to read much about WCS advanced, you would know KM seems happy to have string add his creative efforts

So if you had bothered to read his homepage you wld realise the updates made are not all "bug fixes"
But thank you for attempting to correct me nice to see someone on the ball   =D

I think it was obvious I had read the webpage and details.  :shock: I make it a practice to do that before I decide to update to a new version.  8)

I had just been trying to update my MOTD when the old errors reappeared, and I noted some quirky behavior when trying to revert to a smaller size MOTD.  When KM mentioned he was going to work on the banip bug fix release, I sent him a reminder about the MOTD bug, with some fresh details about its strange behavior.   :?   He asked for a copy of my MOTD breaker command, which I sent.  This time, being able to see first hand the abberant way I was using the MOTD command, he quickly found and FIXED the problem, which he later told me was in a part of the code he didn't look at before.

So, in the future, I suggest you be a little less snarly  :x with KM.  That's my job!   :lol:

I discovered some other quirky behavior regarding the display of colored test yesterday also..   :o  but since it's just quirky and not 'mission critical', I ain't gonna bother KM with it at this time.  He gets 5 days off for good behavior fixing and releasing v1.7.4

KM

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 04:42:16 am »
I discovered some other quirky behavior regarding the display of colored test yesterday also..   :o  but since it's just quirky and not 'mission critical', I ain't gonna bother KM with it at this time.  He gets 5 days off for good behavior fixing and releasing v1.7.4

as long as you aren't going to report clients being able to send the raw data for colour codes to allow double colour codes which has a known issue with winmx clients displaying them (note: bug fix from ages ago with double colour codes when wcs produces them)... just figured that one out myself while playing with something else, well, actually while laying in bed trying to figure out what the problem was after seeing odd behaviour playing with something else

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  WCS Upgrade

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx