gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 14, 2024, 09:53:09 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  Color code quirks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Color code quirks  (Read 1868 times)

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
Color code quirks
« on: March 21, 2006, 02:12:32 am »
I'm posting this here because I do not think it is related to WCS directly, but does relate to the color codes that the WCS supports [which as I understand it are achieved by exploiting a bug or anamoly in winMX.

As of yet, I see no useful purpose for this quirk, other than exploring weird science for what I stumbled on and am reporting here.  KM may understand what is going on here, but I doubt he would be able to make a useful application of this 'discovery'.

To replicate this, join a WCS chatroom and clear the window.

I think the length of one's nick and the line timestamp, if any, will affect the results.  I tested with the timestamp both on and off, but these specific results were with it off.  I had a 14 character nick between the <1234567890abc_>. 

Next, enter these six lines in the channel window:

0] #c250#250 - abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890
1] #c251#251 - abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890
2] #c252#252 - abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890
3] #c253#253 - abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890
4] #c254#254 - abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890
5] #c255#255 - abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890

If your winmx acts like my winmx, after entering those six lines, all you will see is the bracket line number, 0], 1], 2] - 5] etc.  the rest of the characters are blacked out.

now.. point to the channel window to the beginning of line 0],and start clicking as you move your mouse across that line, from beginning to end:
[Timestamp] <nick> 0] 250 - abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890

Remember, at this point you will not see the red characters - all text will be blacked out.  Watch lines 3] and 4] carefully as you click across line 0].  Your view may vary, but when i get to about mid-line, near the 'qrst' area the text on lines 3 and 4 begin to appear VERY faintly.  They will brighten to the end of line 0.  Then start clicking along line 1].  The text on lines 3] and 4] will continue to brighten.  do the same with line 2].  As I started clicking on the nick of line 3], the text brightened for about 5 characters, then blacked out again.

The next quirk was seen from double clicking that active area.  Double clicking along line 2] for example made line 4] brighter than line 3].  Another single click on the same spot caused line 4] to dim to line 3] level.

Continuing along line 3] seemed to be in the blackout range.  As I started clicking on line 4], the faint text reappeared and brightened as I clicked towards the end of the line, as it did on line 5].  At a certain point, double clicking along line 3] will cause line 4] to black out as line 3] seems unaffected, until further along when even line 3 is blacked out..  This zone seems to be 16 characters long.

At one point as I was entering the six lines, line 2] appeared in a bright blue color.  But then when i entered line 5], it blacked out again.

It appears that brightness level of color codes 253 and 253 are controlled by some mouse position on click, after they have been sent to the channel.

I'll leave it for others to explore the other 200+ undocumented color codes.   :P

Maybe some further tricks could turn that into a whack the weasel game  :lol:

Another bit of useless trivia for metis bots.

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
Re: Color code quirks
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:49:26 pm »
Well im confused.
- Josh

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 08:49:41 am »
Well im confused.

About my behavior?  or the winmx behavior?   :)

or both?   :P

or was it my typo?  near the end the comment should have been color codes "253 and 254" seem to be affected by mouse position when clicked.

did you test it and also find the same effects?

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 05:57:48 pm »
I have done that before and I do the get color change on mouse click.

I think it is a lil cool though.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  Color code quirks

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx