gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 07, 2024, 12:22:31 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Current Version of MX?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Current Version of MX?  (Read 14540 times)

Offline tfrost2002

• Forum Member
Current Version of MX?
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:50:12 pm »
It would be helpful if someone would list the current version of winmx that we should be using including any patches necessary and when changes are made there should be a place to look for those changes.  Does that already exist?

I'm having problems but I would like to be sure I have the proper versions installed before asking questions.

Thank you for your consideration.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
Re: Current Version of MX?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 02:05:38 pm »
3.54 is the "latest" version, many use it including me, but some have had a few troubles with it and have reverted back to 3.53.

You can get Winmx and .dll patch here - https://www.winmxgroup.com/

alternatively you can go here http://www.mxpie.com/  please be sure if your using this method you also install PG2 available at same site with instructions.

If you have any troubles connecting etc, please post back here will details and you will get the help you need.

Mr. Chjitz

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 06:14:12 pm »
I am a little confused between the use and realtionship of the following items:

Install-2-2-noMX.exe
olepro32.dll in the C:Program Files\WinMX directory (or equivalent)
Pie 2.9
w2_32.dll (in WinMX directory)

Specificallly after a complete uninstall of WinMX 3.53, I used Install-2-2-noMX.exe to reinstall it.
I was able to connect !!
But I saw Pie 2-9 and thinking this was latest and would perhaps provide an improvement I installled it.
Pie 2-9 installation prompter me to remove or NOT remove olepro32.dll.  It suggest NOT remove.  So I accepted that.

Some questions are:
1. Was it really an improvement to run Pie 2-9 after Install-2-2-noMX.exe?
2.  I can connect, but should I do or undo anything?

Hope someone can explaing the relationship of the pieces mentioned above.
If I understood how these things work togther, I would not  have to ask so many questions :-)

Thanks.

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 06:32:44 pm »
The Install2.2 is the winmxworld/group patch. The PIE 2.9 is the MXPie team patch. It doesnt matter what one you use.

olepro32.dll in the C:Program Files\WinMX directory (or equivalent) - Is used to patch WinMx v.3.53
w2_32.dll (in WinMX directory) - Is used to patch WinMx v.3.54
Install-2-2-noMX.exe - Is the WinMxWorld/Group Patch
Pie 2.9 - Is the Pie team patch

Pie and WinMxWorld/Group are two different groups that have created patches. I dont think it will hurt anything to run both. Although you only need one. If running PIE only then you are encouraged to run PeerGuardian2 to help block the flooders.

Hope this clears some things up.

Mr. Chjitz

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 06:34:36 pm »
I also wanted to mention in the previous post that I disabled DNS Client services in Windows XP prof.
After reading https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=886.0.html
I am thinking that I should NOT have disabled this service or else how could the HOST file do its thing?

Should I re-enable DNS Client?

Is the PIE 2.9 reversible? How?  I gather this just changed the HOSTS file.  How do I restore it to the Windows install default?

For those starting from scratch, should they first install PIE-2.9, then WinMX 3.53?
Or should they just use Install-2-2-noMX.exe which will install WinMX and ceate the olepro3.dll which apparently does NOT require HOST file stuff at all.
If you use Install-2-2-noMX.exe do you need to leave DNS Client enabled.  Or is it better to leave in diabled in XP-PROF?

Hope you can respond.
Thanks

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 06:41:26 pm »
Hi Mr. Chjitz,

Ok, lets see if I can do this politically correctly.

I am not sure how you came to have both, although its not uncommon.  I will simply explain what you have.

Install-2-2-noMX.exe - This is a patch to connect WinMx, it contains two versions. 
a. Olepro32.dll - Works for 9x systems like Windows ME/98 and only works with the WinMx 3.53 version.
b. Ws2_32.dll - Works for NT Windows systems like XP/2000 and works with either version of WinMx.

Install-2.2.exe - This is two complete versions of WinMX, 3.53 and 3.54 beta 4, along with the above mentioned patches for thier respective Operating systems.

That said, this patch also automatically blocks the RIAA IPs that are damaging and causing problems on the Network with flooded fake files.  Its our fix option for your Winmx, and I believe the better fix.

Pie Patch is a hosts file fix that redirects your Winmx to the new caches by changing your system hosts file and has to be reinstalled if there are ever any cache changes, which happens more then we would like.  You also will need to run seperate software to block the RIAA if you use this fix, but it is just that another fix.

So effectively what you have done is to install the Install-2.2-noMX.exe fix, connected and then removed that fix by installing the Pie Patch fix instead.  The Pie patch will disable our fix, and visa versa.

So which ever fix you choose you need to install last.  Just rerun the Install 2.2.exe and you should be fine.

=======================

Response to second post:
Yes I would re-enable your DNS Client
The Pie Patch should have a file labled Uninstall Pie Patch in your program files, however as mentioned above you can simply re install the Install 2.2 to reverse it.
Starting from scratch my advice it so get this file:
https://www.winmxgroup.com/Install-2.2.exe    - As mentioned above, includes Winmx and the Patch.
I can see no reason to disable your DNS Client in XP for either fix.

Mr. Chjitz

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 06:43:43 pm »
Omega, thanks for your quick response.  My last post actually crossed yours !

You helped clear a lot of this up.
I wound up running both groups patches.
I installed WinMX 3.53 not 3.54 as part of the Install-2-2-noMX.exe

Should DNS Client be enabled or disabled?  Windows XP-PROF machine on a home LAN, using WORKGROUP.
The link I posted contained the fact that the .dll method inside the WinMX directory is a better sollution, I think, because it does NOT effect other programs.  Is that correct?
If it is I guess I am best served with the olepro32.dll which PIE 2.9 gave me the option to leave intact (which I did)?
But did PIE 2.9 mess with my HOST file?  And should I restore that to the Windows default (could you provide how to do this ... just delete what? ... where is the HOST file?)?
If the olepro32.dll inside the WinMX 3.53 directory is the better way to do this, then I guess I do not need the HOST file modification that PIE 2.9 installed??

Thanks again.

Mr. Chjitz

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 06:52:44 pm »
Me Here (and others)

First you guys are great, and I appreciate your quick on target responses.  My last post crossed yours.

Second me BAD.  I should have said that I first used Install-2.2.exe (NOT the noMX version).  I chose the WimMX 3.53 install that comes with this.
I did wind up with olepro32.dll in the WinMX 3.53 directory.  Just like you explained.

So is the olepro32.dll modifies Winsock better than the PIE 2.9 HOST method then I guess I should revert back to the Window HOST file default.  How do I do this?
Or, should I leave the HOST file as modified by PIE 2.9?
Does PIE 2.9 provide a copy of the BEFORE HOST file changed someplace?

Thanks again ... I will try and type faster :-)

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 06:58:05 pm »
Ok my best advice is this

Install this file:
https://www.winmxgroup.com/Install-2.2-noMX.exe

Restart Mx.. problem solved :D

As for a better explanation of whats doing what lets get you fixed and I will post the answer to your other questions in a few moments

Mr. Chjitz

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 07:22:57 pm »
Me He wrote, "... lets get you fixed and I will post the answer to your other questions in a few moments ..."

No rush.  I have been able to connect to WinMX network and download BEFORE I posted here.
I posted because I could NOT understand why I did both groups fixes and what they did.  But you have cleared that up!
--------------------------------
Me Here wrote, " ... So effectively what you have done is to install the Install-2.2-noMX.exe fix, connected and then removed that fix by installing the Pie Patch fix instead.  The Pie patch will disable our fix, and visa versa."

As I said I mis-spoke when I said I had used the noMX.exe.
I used the Install-2-2 with WinMX 3.53 and that put olepro32 into the WinMX 5.3 directory.
When I then (redundantly) used PIE 2.9, the install procedure spotted olepro32.dll, and suggested I NOT remove that .dll.  I believe PIE 2.9 provided a check box to NOT remove olepr032.dll.
After installing PIE 2.9, I checked the WinMX 5.3 directory and olepro32.dll is there!
--------------------------------
Me Here wrote, "... (Install-2-2.exe uses our method and) blocks the RIAA IPs that are damaging and causing problems on the Network with flooded fake files.  Its our fix option for your Winmx, and I believe the better fix. ..."

Does your fix have the abiltiy to make changes as RIAA methods change?  That is does the olepro32.dll in the WinMX 5.3 directory need to be changed in future just like the HOST method used by the other group?
----------------------------
You were correct that there is an unistall file with PIE 2.9.
It MXpie_Uninstaller.exe
I will run that and I guess will be exactly where I should be with my original HOST file (whatever that was?), and your groups ole32pro.dll
I did NOT see a backup of my original HOST file, so I wonder how MXpie_Uninstaller willl put it back?
-----------------------
As I said, I have been able to use WinMX, even though I had not  understood that I had managed to install two competing methods.

Thanks for all your help.

I followed the PIE 2.9 install advice

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 08:08:46 pm »
So is the olepro32.dll modifies Winsock better than the PIE 2.9 HOST method then I guess I should revert back to the Window HOST file default.  How do I do this?

The olepro32.dll and the ws2_32.dll redirect your WinMx.  Uninstalling Pie should replace your original Hosts file that came with your operating system, if not you can get one from here:
https://www.winmxworld.com/files/original_hosts_file.zip
Unzip that to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ folder

Does your fix have the abiltiy to make changes as RIAA methods change?  That is does the olepro32.dll in the WinMX 5.3 directory need to be changed in future just like the HOST method used by the other group?

Yes we are flexible and watch the RIAA closely.  You can read more about the Block list and our methods here:
https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php/board,3.0.html

No, the olepro32.dll reads a file list of the IPs and the IP list or Block List as we call it are updated,  the file in your WinMx directory wont need updating for such things, also if there are any cache number changes this file will automatically grab those changes and will not need to be updated for those either.

For those reasons I feel that your better off with the WinMx Group patch.

Offline tower

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 03:46:46 pm »
Hi All, just to let you know I am using WinMX V3.54 with Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
default Port and UDP settings and it is working just great.   The PC is two years old now and pretty well populated with Music and file share software,  I use Systweak software to repair and defrag my registry every now and again and that is about that.

Firewall is Norton Internet 2006 and Cable connection with no router.   Hope this helps others.

Kind regards,   Tom.

Mr. Chjitz

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 02:39:58 pm »
Thank you, Me Here, for explaining all of this.

In case my experience might help otheres, I will summarize.

Everything appears to be working OK.  I get a green network connect in WinMx 5.3 and can download some files.

As you pointed out, I did not originally realize that there were two (competing?) WinMx fix groups.
My efforts began when I could no longer use my WinMx 5.3, and I did a Google search and frankly was confused by the mulltiple solutions, not realizing that there were two competing groups.

I first uninstalled and deleted the WinMx directory.
I know I did NOT have to do this, but that is water over the dam.

In the spirit of "more is better" :) , I first used Install-2.2.exe (NOT the noMX version) and used its WinMX 5.3 install option.
That caused olepro32.dll to be installed into the WinMx directory.

Next I spotted the PIE 2.9 fix, so I went ahead and installed that too!
The PIE 2.9 installation screens announced that olepro32.dll was in the WinMX directory and gave the option to delete or NOT delete this .dll.
PIE 2.9 suggested NOT to delete olepro32.dll, and only if you continued to have problems with WinMx, to go back and delete this .dll
So I let PIE 2.9 do its thing,  using its do NOT delete olepro32.dll installation option.

For now I am in the mode "if it is not broken do NOT attempt to fix it".
And WinMx seems to work.

I do have a few questions:

1.  I looked at my HOSTS file, made I think by PIE 2.9.  It only has two entries.  Here is a snippet:
#  MXpie patch Revision: 2.9
127.0.0.1       localhost
212.227.64.159   www.winmx.com

I also see a file backup_of_hosts, which I assume is the orig HOST file.  It only has two entries.  Here is a snippet:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
127.0.0.1       localhost
212.227.64.159   www.winmx.com

The are the SAME.  Should they?
Also, I know the basic concept of the HOST file is that it does re-direction of IP numbers and names.
But does the re-direction occur for only incoming connections, or only outgoing connections or both?
I notice when I key wwww.winmx.com into my IE6 browser I get no page found.
But when I key 212.227.64.159, I get the WinMX group site.
Does HOST re-direct the number to the name or the name to the number?  For incoming, or outgoing, or both?

Why only two entries in HOST?  I thought that was the major place that PIE 2.9 used to do its re-direction.  When the PIE 2.9 saw the olepro32.dll did it decide that it did NOT have to add entries to HOST?

I know you wrote that olepro32.dll is the better way to go.
I understand that by using this .dll in the WinMx 5.3 directory, that normal surfing will NOT be slowed down by the overhead of a long HOST file.
You said that olepro32.dll automaticallly benefits from any new IPs that need to be blocked.  Does that mean this .dll somehow connects to your site when WinMx 5.3 is run?  What site does it connect to, and isn't that a potential danger for interception?

Ok, enough question.  Back to some soothing music :). I hope you can and will answer these remaining issues.  Keep up your good work.
Thanks.

Mr. Chjitz

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 03:52:06 pm »
In case it helps your efforts here, I also noticed that my patched WinMx 5.3 sometimes shows a bitrate of 416 when searching for MP3.
I think I read somewhere that such high bitrate is fictitious and indicative of some spoofing or flooding?

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 05:28:54 pm »
OK, let me try to explain a bit what happens when you look up a domain like winmx.com.
Basically everytime your pc wants to connect to www.somename.com it sends out a request to the name server (DNS) of your isp and asks for the corresponding IP address, i.e. 123.456.78.9.
If that IP changes you can still reach www.somename.com because the name server will always have a current IP. Also it's possible to use multiple IP addresses for one name, i.e. several mirror servers for instance.
On the other hand it's possible to host several domains on one IP, meaning one server can run several websites or services.
Now the entry in the hosts file means whenever your pc wants to connect to www.somename.com it will read the entry from the hosts file and it will not get lookep up on the name server.
The entry for www.winmx.com in your hosts file is there to provide you with the text in the bar at the top, i.e. "Currently blocking Flooders"
Originally winmx wants to look this up on it's own website, these requests are being redirected here to KM's server which will give you the message. This entry was made by KM's patch (winmxgroup) so you can be notified of available updates etc.
The fact that there are no other entries probably means that by setting the pie installer to keep the olepro.dll you prevented the hosts file from being changed, a modified hosts file has lots of entries with IP's and corresponding cache servers.
The dll however uses domain names like ireland.winmxgroup.com and germany.winmxgroup.com so if there's a change of IP adresses for cache servers it will still connect you.
This means in fact you're only running one patch after all. :-)
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Mr. Chjitz

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 09:21:08 pm »
nylly444, OK ... thanks.  The home page here would be more helpful IMHO if it mentioned the two competing groups, and NOT to install both fixes.
For instances this page, https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/ , talks about "Installing PeerGuardian" as the very first step.
Should I be doing that?

Anyone have an explaination for the 416 bitrate for some MP3 search results.  Is that a real number?

Thanks for your efforts.

KM

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 10:37:59 am »
it doesn't hurt if you do install peer guardian, although it's not required if using the winmxgroup patch - but those not running it would need to install it

and the best indication of fake files is when 90% of the results show as available with free slots, then i just go down to the bottom and get the file from someone with a short queue instead

Mr. Chjitz

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 11:27:07 pm »
The entry for www.winmx.com in your hosts file is there to provide you with the text in the bar at the top, i.e. "Currently blocking Flooders"
Originally winmx wants to look this up on it's own website, these requests are being redirected here to KM's server which will give you the message. This entry was made by KM's patch (winmxgroup) so you can be notified of available updates etc.
The fact that there are no other entries probably means that by setting the pie installer to keep the olepro.dll you prevented the hosts file from being changed, a modified hosts file has lots of entries with IP's and corresponding cache servers.
The dll however uses domain names like ireland.winmxgroup.com and germany.winmxgroup.com so if there's a change of IP adresses for cache servers it will still connect you.
This means in fact you're only running one patch after all. :-)

Let me see if I understand this.  You are saying that WinMx.exe has code that causes it connect to the NAME winmx.com.  The entry in my HOSTS file is "212.227.64.159   www.winmx.com". This redirects my machine, and it does NOT send out "winmx.com", but 212.227.64.159, which is winmxgroup page.  I'll bet there is some other stuff included in the line sent by winmx.exe to 212.227.64.159, which causes the protected for flooding message to be displayed inside of winmx.

When I type 212.227.64.159 into my IE6 URL address box, I get a winmxgroup page that refers to download fix links.  Not a protected for flooding message!
When I type winmx.com into my IE6 URL address box, I get page not found.  Why?
That is, why doesn't the HOST file mechanism redirect my winmx.com entered into the address box, in the manner that you descibed how HOSTS works.  Does HOSTS only work for running programs and NOT manual entries into the address bar?  Yes, I rebooted my XP computer to refresh any caches.

KM

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 12:02:50 am »
it loads the URL (depending on winmx version) from https://www.winmx.com/v353/mainbar/index.html that entry in the hosts file means instead of doing a DNS lookup for the server that handles www.winmx.com it instead overrides it to 212.227.64.159 (btw, that value can change, that entry in the hosts file is updated every time the patch starts to allow it to go to any IP Address)

then the update bar (which is an internet explorer window) at the top goes to load that, it sends a request for that page to the web server running on 212.227.64.159, which then sends back the web page containing that text (and some formatting+a hyperlink)

Mr. Chjitz

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 02:21:20 am »
I previously wrote, "When I type winmx.com into my IE6 URL address box, I get "page not found"  Why?"
According to your explanations the HOST file entry "212.227.64.159   www.winmx.com", should bring up https://www.winmxgroup.com/
It does NOT.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  Current Version of MX?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.01 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx