gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 03:14:01 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Riaa suggest MIT student drop out of school to pay their extortion cash!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Riaa suggest MIT student drop out of school to pay their extortion cash!  (Read 1425 times)

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/6338/RIAA+Suggests+MIT+Student+Drop+Out+Of+School+To+Pay+Fine

The RIAA has made quite the business out of shaking down folks they accuse of uploading music. This has been covered at length before, but they basically send a "settlement offer" with each lawsuit. The offer says (more or less) "pay $3500 and this goes away." They also make it clear that just taking the case to court will likely cost more than $3500 in legal fees, suggesting it's not even worth fighting it -- which in some parts of the world sounds very much like extortion.

Plenty of people have done the math and suggested that this little business of suing their biggest fans has turned into a nice little profit center for the industry. Digg is pointing to the case of one woman, a student at MIT, who is trying to talk to the RIAA after being offered just such a settlement. When she points out that she's a poor college student, the RIAA rep kindly suggests that perhaps dropping out of school will make it easier to pay off the fine.

As well as the obvious Extortion, the Riaa have now added career advice for its victims to its bow, how thoughtful.

KM

very helpful of them, perhaps they could give me some advice on how to best avoid their extortion? should i quit my job? oops, work already made that decision for them

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  Riaa suggest MIT student drop out of school to pay their extortion cash!

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx