gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 12:27:54 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New data compression system, 14 movies onto a cd rom!!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New data compression system, 14 movies onto a cd rom!!!!  (Read 1205 times)

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
New data compression system, 14 movies onto a cd rom!!!!
« on: April 12, 2006, 10:51:47 am »
http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2006/04/10/firm_squeezes_films_into_a_download/

By Hiawatha Bray, Globe Staff  |  April 10, 2006

A Concord company called Euclid Discoveries says it has invented a video-compression technology that could spawn a lucrative new market for Hollywood or a major new crisis.

The firm says its EuclidVision system can compress digital images to make them much smaller than today's most common compression technologies, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4,which were created by the Motion Picture Experts Group. MPEG-2 is the compression system used on today's DVD movie disks. MPEG-4 is a next-generation system that can reduce the size of a movie even further.

Sounds interesting.....

Euclid Discoveries says a full-length movie that requires 700 megabytes of storage when compressed using MPEG-4 would use just 50 megabytes when compressed with EuclidVision. At that size, 14 movies could fit on a standard CD-ROM disk. As for video downloading, it would take an hour for someone with a 1.5 megabit-per-second broadband connection to download a 700-megabyte file. But 50 megabytes would take less than five minutes.

Im excited now......

'It would solve a big bottleneck," said Christopher Chute, senior research analyst at IDC Corp. in Framingham.

Understatement of the year......

Just think about it KM, you would be able to massively reduce the amount of BW you need to allocate for your live cam shows with Vladd.

KM

Re: New data compression system, 14 movies onto a cd rom!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 12:19:23 pm »
and when will the free encoders/decoders for this format be made available for general use? all this bandwidth I'm wasting...

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 12:38:58 pm »
and when will the free encoders/decoders for this format be made available for general use? all this bandwidth I'm wasting...

Well im not too sure, but after a little look on their site, i did come accross a Windows xp version of soemthing that looks interesting, but the text with it may as well have been written in jap, perhaps you will have a better understanding km:

http://www.eucliddiscoveries.com/information.php

Either way, looks like a free Demo DL  :D

KM

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 12:53:31 pm »
erm, it's not japanese, it's just managerial babble - when managers want to sound good... i can kind of understand it

EuclidStudio™ accepts video files or camera input and executes one or more video algorithms on the input. During the execution of the algorithms, visualizations of the algorithmic operation are displayed along with graphs of data.

i think that means it just analyses compression, it's not a compressor for that format

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New data compression system, 14 movies onto a cd rom!!!!

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.018 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx