gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 11:36:25 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  Chat servers and winmx users
gfx
gfxgfx

Poll

Has WinMX got to many chat rooms and not enough users?

Yes
5 (83.3%)
No
1 (16.7%)
dont care
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Chat servers and winmx users  (Read 2755 times)

Chat servers and winmx users
« on: June 30, 2006, 01:38:54 am »
Hi everybody

What is your opinion on this little question of mine

Has WinMX got to many chat rooms and not enough users, and have chat servers become allot easier to get hold of so any tom, dick and harry can host a room?

If u look at the channel list on WinMx u can see 1800+ rooms daily and if each room has at least 4-10 ppl (i know that isn't exact), that is a fair few heads bobbing around our lil network.
What if we take a step back and make room servers a little harder to get hold of so ppl cant split the chat community even more? (yes I'm nuts)
Since sept when everything went tits up, the users that was able to bounce right back seem 2 have become hosts of chat rooms now and all the people that r coming back 2 WinMx seem to be wanting to host as well. This just drives us further and further apart don't u think?

U probably just think I'm nuts but if we cut off chat servers 4 a while and see if ppl bond 2gether as a comunity again we may have a chance of getting some ppl back on winmx (new and old) and they may stay!

Whats your opinion

No flamming plz its only a topic of conversation and trying to find out other peoples opinions

P.S.   I apologise 4 my spelling i know its poor

:lol:

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
Re: Chat servers and winmx users
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 02:01:02 am »
I just wish the rooms were honest about user count.. I don't mind lots of choice so much, but I do mind rooms claiming 65 users which only have 5 or where 30 are some form of "room filling" gimmick
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 04:31:09 am »
"room filling" gimmick

I saw that happen with me a couple of day's ago I nice looking movie room with just over 530 users. Went in and saw seven. That does make it a lot harder to count the number of peole who have comeback into the chatrooms.
All of us have better things to do rather than go to each room and check the number of users there :|
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline Stevi

• #1 DJ
  • MX Hosts
  • Ooops! I blew up the commercials!
    • WinMX Radio
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 04:48:03 am »
I have to agree with Zeus. There are way to many chat rooms and not enough users. If you stopped giving the chat servers out just for a while then i think that you will see more ppl in less rooms rather then more rooms and less ppl.

That is just my opinion and not a order. lol

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 05:02:10 am »
Agreed that it will be better, but it could trigger a backlash too. what will stop people from saying : "well what a crap network, i can't even host a room. Winmx is not the same as before.... I'll shift." Though fewer rooms will be good, but what's the matter if people are there to host it?

Plus, winmxworld could end up being the only ones who won't give out chat servers. What's going to stop people from asking room admins to give them the servers? Then it could give the site a bad name, which already pie are. Why add more fuel to the fire.

Thinking the other way, with so much variety, it could intice more users to stay and thus,  increase the network population, which i think is for all winmx users, the most important priority.

Man proposes, winmx disposes :(
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 05:57:21 am »
It's a self correcting problem anyhow.. hosts who can't get their rooms populated soon give up running them.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 05:59:31 am »
Well I am your lonely No vote thus far, let me tell ya why...

In a sense I see what your saying about too many rooms however, I disagree that hosting is easier now, used to be you had only WinMX to host with,, way easy to hit a host button and go, anyone with bendmx or robo could preform admin duties easily.  Hosting was way easier then, just less attractive to do so.  As you know rooms now have huge text art motd's.. tons of extra features and lots of things to work out to make them selves unique to the newbie visitor.. its not easier.. just more fun.  I might also add this is no new debate, since I started haning out in the WinMX Community Clan rooms I heard them saying...'God who cares if you can host, there are too many rooms anyway'...lol  Disagreed then..still do...

I would also like to point out the hosts and room guests ARE the ones that saved MX.  I watched this community for the most part hold it together and provide the needed time, user base of connected Primaries, and test set ups to actually make this work on the new caches.  If the chat community hadnt been here to keep holding connections and spread the word, I am not sure we would be here to debate this issue now.  Before the crash I might add, there were avg 2200+ rooms on WinMX and that was on off days.. lol there were days my list had 2700+ rooms.

Lets do the Math shall we, 10 ppl per room avg, 1800 rooms is only 18,000 users.  I dont have any exact numbers of users, but a safe estimate would be to say that is only 10% of the user base on WinMX at any given time.  I also think thats too low, I would like to see more users utilize the help and community spirit that WinMX offers, most serious p2pers that are still using mx will tell you this is what gives WinMX its charm and the reason they just cant quite leave.. its way more then just a file sharing application, it IS a community of ppl, that for the most part are seriously dedicated to its survival.  Before the crash too, it was nearly unheard of for rooms to work together to the common goal, it was much more like each room for themselves, since all this I have seen room hosts helping other rooms hosts, members of many rooms being members of other rooms and its great!!

I say each of us has a right to host a room, and to make a place called our own on this network, I would like to see folks try to find other established rooms to be members of before they just go hosting and not realize that IT is a responsibility that you take on when you do this.  I feel like room hosts and admins have a responsibility not just to the room and member but to the entire WinMX community to help keep it safe and fun environment for users to come, new and old, and enjoy. 

I cant see us here or any serious help sites discouraging new uses of WinMX and strengthening the community even more.

Great topic Zeus  .. :wink:

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 07:02:20 am »
Actually Me Here I'm keeping you company on the didn't votes, & go back hosting to when a host had to be on their toes.. chasing down patches for various exploits.. in some ways it's got easier to keep a room online, Ive got nothing at all against anyone hosting, I just get annoyed by hosts who try to trick users in with false occupancy figures, or a slew of fake users in their rooms, to be a success requires people in there who are friendly & above all TALK.  A room full of room filler bot might look impressive, but it's not really much contribution to the community you speak of.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  Chat servers and winmx users

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 26 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx