gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 02:05:33 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  Protocol Discussion  |  The limited number of dhsred files
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The limited number of dhsred files  (Read 7198 times)

Radames001

The limited number of dhsred files
« on: May 27, 2006, 08:21:30 pm »
Hi! This is a well-known option that user with secondary connections will be seen with maximum 3000 shared files, user with primary connection will be seen with 5000 shared files.
Is that possible to brake that borders? Can you implant in WinMX a new option which will give the user Rights to share as much files as he wants? Somebody talked to me that I need to place/share a text. file with the titles of all my files over 3000 or 5000 and the others will than can see what I have to offer. OK, but during connecting to the server and sending HASH-data's, are all the files above 5000 sent to the server, or not? If not, than the text. file will become useless, also, because nobody can find all my files even using an implanted search engine. Do something, please, because I have to many excellent classical music files, rarities, live performances, series, rare items...etc.
Waiting for your answer, thank you for your attention.
Best regards
Radames001 from WinMX from Serbia/Europe

KM

Re: The limited number of dhsred files
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 05:18:31 am »
there is no way for you to get around that limitation, users with lots of files just have to use primary and put up with the 5000 limit

Radames001

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 09:03:17 am »
Dear King Marco! Who asked you about this: "there is no way for you to get around that limitation". Who said that I want to get around...etc, etc.
First of all I asked, are there any programmers able to reconstruct WINMX in that order.
Second: I asked what will happen with my shared, hashed, but not in queue list placed files? Are they present in the server or not....etc, etc.
I don't like when somebody is giving me 10% of answer on my questions. Reed it once more and try to understand what I have been asked. Think first, than reply me.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 11:56:21 am »
One by one:

1> No you cannot exceed winm's border no matter what you do. Not that it it imposssible, but that i think it is very difficult, for any programmer. The source code of winmx was never released, so you cannot do anything to 'change' winmx in any big way, you can do minor (relatively) things, like the patch like Km has. But you cannot implant any options in the way you say.

2> I think what the person told you was to make a catalouge of all the files you have and share that catalouge. that way, if a person wants something you have, then all he has to do is to see the catalouge. Works in theory anyway. The person must want it badly enough so that he would download your catalouge (no pun\critisim intended or indicated). You can try that by giving it a name like
'__~!@#$$$%% This is my catalouge. Please search for any songs that you might want'
That way, it will stay on top of the list. I have purposely included those symbols to put the file on top if the list.

3> Obiviously the hash ID's of the other files are not sent as then it would mean that the othjer user could see those files :) One more important thimg, I don't think that all the hash ID's sre sent anywhere. Merely, you get Id requests on the basis of file name for the file in question and then the result is sent back. There are no servers in winmx, you are connected to other primaries in winmx.

4> No offence, but you could make sure that your rare files are the ones that are shared and that the other ones are there in the catalogue which you will make. That way, you rare files are more likely to get shared and hence their numbers increase to become not so rare.

Lastly, KM answered your question number 1. he didn't explain the way I did, because he may have not had the time. he has to answer many questions, morderate, manage the site.....etc,etc,etc.
HE IS THE HEAD PROGRAMMER IN THIS SITE. I THINK HE KNOWS ALL THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT WINMX.
he made the patch and hence knows best. Please be more respectful to everyone and the message you have posted may apply to you as well. Think before you ink.

Better that 10% of your question was answered rather than 0%
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Radames001

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 01:56:05 pm »
Nice, thank you, samseesam. Exactly that is what I expected. I made my catalogue of my shared files earlier, put some extra characters at the beginning of a file-name, so it is always on the top.

When WinMX is started and connected - the green light is on - inside outgoing bandwith I can see outgoing informations. The amount of sent information is in direct function with the number of shared files. Am I right? Must bee, because in the beginning, when I had same 100-200 files only, the sent info was very short. Now it is long about 90 seconds, of course, depends on network flow. Therefore it must be in correlation with the number of shared files.

Well, to be very exact, you must know that my home collection contains up to now more than 25.000 classical music files. 90% of them are unknown for 99.99999% of WinMX users, Torrent users or eDonkey users or whatever. That's the reason I want to distribute them, that files. So... 8)

Thank you again for your nice replay and let's continue the discussion if you want.

Best regards from Radames001

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: The limited number of shared files
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 03:00:29 pm »
The file list is only uploaded to a primary if your a secondary user, primaries just share the information in response to network searches etc, and hold all the secondaries lists along with its own.

Radames001

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 03:22:31 pm »
Yes, of course, GostShip, thanks a lot.
Have a nice day

slice-mice

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 08:56:20 am »
Oh, nice! I realized immediately that nobody owns a source file. That is the problem and not how to implant into the basic program the possibility to increase the number of shareable/browseable files. So, guys, find a good programmer. Don't tell me that nobody exists around this Globe to solve the problem. That is nonsense.
Hugs.

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 10:54:58 am »
there is no way for you to get around that limitation, users with lots of files just have to use primary and put up with the 5000 limit

or run winmx on 3 computers :)

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 11:02:07 am »
You mean 6 :lol:
Patch link :

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 11:27:12 am »
You mean 6 :lol:

My electric bill is more than my internet bill just running 3 :)

I think he was given good advice about sharing a catalog file.  Then he could load 2500 files, with a broad variety, and leave 500 files to temporarily add on request from his bigger listing of off-line files.

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 11:37:36 am »
***Then he could load 2500 files, with a broad variety, and leave 500 files to temporarily add on request from his bigger listing of off-line files.

The new library share function of winmx v  3.54 beta 4 facilitates this.  All 30,000 files could be listed in the share library, and if well organized in folders by type of music/media and author/artist, each folder or file can be activated or deactivated with a mere click.  The file-level share permissions also allow for blocking files in a 'shared' folder.  You are not forced to share everything in a folder as with earlier versions of winmx.

On one of my boxes, the shared folders have 13,000 files, of which currently 2800 are selected for sharing.  If someone asks for some offline files, I can add another 200 files with a click or 2.

Radames001

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 01:13:39 pm »
OK, I can understand the whole story, can understand every notice and advice. It is clear that I may share below 3000 and leave some spaces free for additional sharing on request based on my listing from my catalogue.
By the way, the most important objection was made by user 'slice-mice' 8)
All is in source file...but...nobody has it...what a pity
Anyway, I am very satisfied with your answers and reactions.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 02:42:19 pm »
Just a normal question, how much power does a computer guzzle i one hour with the moniter closed?, ie only the CPU
Patch link :

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 12:00:56 am »
I had a p4 that shut itself off regularly after a while running from overloading a 500 watt PSU, admittedly it had lots of drives etc..
As to running multiple computers to do it, there's no reason other than CPU load & available RAM why they couldn't be vmware (or similar) ones.. running stripped down minimal OS & winmx only, multiple instances of windows & winmx on a single hardware box...
If I was doing it I'd use windows 98 lite, & have several machines address one virtual hard disk for the OS (to save even more space) & assign each the minimal RAM etc for winmx to perform satisfactorily... & I'd probably do it with many secondaries, rather than primaries, it would save a great deal of port mapping & bandwidth.
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Radames001

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 10:17:45 pm »
Did anyone try to run 2 WinMXes at the same time on the same p.c.? It sounds idiotic but...can be done with some changes in settings 8)

KM

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 11:34:34 pm »
it can be done, if you are looking at doing it for multiple users (ie. 2 people use the same PC and both want winmx running) then if you are using the windows XP "fast user switching" then it will work fine, otherwise there are a couple of programs in the winmxworld archive (eg. plusmx, multimx) to run multiple copies of winmx - just remember if you are running 2 copies of winmx, use different TCP/UDP ports for each copy :-)

Radames001

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 10:53:15 am »
Yes, Yes, Yes, that's it. I just wanted to know does anybody made that before? I created on my own p.c. 3 accounts. Of course, all 3 are myself:) As I have XP, I can switch from one to an other user with quick switch without shouting down the running programs 8)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  Protocol Discussion  |  The limited number of dhsred files

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx