gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 07:10:01 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Fake Files  |  Fake Files.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fake Files.  (Read 3811 times)

Afterlife

Fake Files.
« on: May 17, 2005, 08:47:42 am »
:?: This may or I may sound really STUPID :oops: But,,Can someone please tell me what is a "fake file".I am thinking,is a fake file just a renamed files,ie-Artist name change and song title,or is it something more evil :twisted: .I am in the process of learning how to use winmx to the max,even though i have been using it for a long time,but i just had a small operation {hostipal}so i am in front of the p.c. :D .So i am taking this chance to learn more about winmx.

Can all you smart users help me please.

Found this site a few days ago and will call it home for me now.
Hope i can contribute as i learn more.

Cheers all
 8)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Fake Files.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 03:23:42 pm »
Its great to have folks like yourself aboard Afterlifw,,  :wink:

To answer your question about fakes...
The fakes we used to speak of on WinMX and other p2p networks were actally more like incorrect files.. but for lack of better terms were deemed fakes... ie.  wrong file name.mp3 .... :roll:

The fakes we talk about now are "Fakes" in the truest sense of the word.

These are actually bogus bits of data generated from programs run on High speed servers.  They are usually un-downloadable or you get about 2700 bytes and it stops and causes a file mismatch error.  These Fakes can also not be qued for.

These bits of data are generated for pre-decided searches.  So they choose what artists/titles they want thier programs to respond to.  When a search is made for one of these it sends out soo many fake results that it also causes primary connections its running through to be dropped, a over load of that part of the network.

This is the reason many poeple are experiencing connection problems even though they are NOT searching, downloading or even uploading.

So, these fakes that your hearing about now are "fakes".. there is no file, or its a part of a file with corrupted end.

Hope this helps ya a bit to understand em.. and other users as well.

Just Me

Flooding and abuses on OpenNap
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 10:56:22 pm »
I get told the network is being flooded yet there is no place to report abuses especially ones that look like they could be flooders.

I have repeatedly spend days trying to get files from this user only to lose it when I get near my turn. Yes, I know this happens but not for weeks on end.

I did a who is and found that on every network this user is on there are 0 uploads and 0 downloads. The user name is Iarumas and he is on many networks.

I also am getting very angry at the ppl who play games such as unsharing their files or change to a diff network.

I would be glad to register to closed networks if I could find some decent ones and they gave instructions on how to do so that I dont need a programing degree to figure it out.

This could also be a viable way to defeat the RIAA. But there should be some way for legitimate users like me to have leechers like him/her off your networks.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Fake Files.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 02:31:04 am »
Just Me , if I may clear up a small point, we are users of the network like yourself and suffer the same as you do.

WinMx is a decentralised system, what that in effect means is that no one has control of any of the activities that occur across is so much as we would all like to eject persistant leeches and fake file flooding systems oreated by the music Cartel, its just not possible.

I believe your talking about open nap in your post and agree it would be good to join a closed network along with any of the public ones, variety and availability usually decide which is best.

Now to finding details about joining some of the private nets, often many open nap servers have information for those wishing to join nets not public in their server messages, so its a good plan to look at these in the open nap page.
Often a polite message sent to open nap based users can gain you similar information, as long as your sharing good quality items I think you,ll have no problem finding a network that suits you.

kez

Fake Files.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 10:28:19 am »
:x im really mad cuz some1 off opennap kindly sent sum spyware within the film file of Mr & Mrs Smith i downloaded last wk. I finally managed 2 delete the file by disconnecting from the internet and cutting the links. So i thought id brave another attempt at films and tried War Of The Worlds, the file i clicked on said 2005 so i assumed it wud b the new 1.  NO!! id spent alnight downloaded the 1960s version.  WHY OH WHY do people do this????? :evil: People were downloadin it from me while i was downloadin it so i apologise if you wanted the new1!

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Fake Files.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 02:14:43 pm »
Hi Kez,
I feel your pain, its always been a problem on most p2p networks that people share files that are not titled properly, and its always worse when you spend alot of time downloading it only to find its not what you wanted... :cry:
I highly suggest that you give VideoLan a try.  You can prieview movies you are downloading with it to make sure its what you think it is.  Its also a great player to use and requires no codecs to work on virtually all formats of video files.  
You can also do this with albums by using Alba Extractor

As for as the spyware goes, well I have to say honestly I have my doubts that the spyware actually came from a file you recieved on WinMX or OpenNap directly, although yes there are files that get ripped that have not been de-encoded properly and want to dial out to a internet address or have DRM systems encoded.  In my years on WinMX I have not ever heard of anyone getting spyware from a file directly, however yes there is always the danger of downloading viruses on WinMX.  This is usually avoidable by knowing what your downloading, what the sizes should be, and what the HASH ID number shows up as in a search for altenatives.

Its always a great policy to scan your incoming folder with a antivirus program b4 sharing then back into the network.

I hope you wont give up on WinMX for getting files you want, if we take precautions to avoid the trouble, the WinMX Network is officially one of the top p2p networks available and is the safest way to get files, of any p2p system known.

Be sure to check out more information on Avoiding Fakes

As always...

Happy Hunting :wink:

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Fake Files  |  Fake Files.

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx