gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 14, 2024, 09:47:29 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  Downloading New WinMX client
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Downloading New WinMX client  (Read 2643 times)

Flush

Downloading New WinMX client
« on: June 09, 2006, 12:54:09 pm »
I have been encountering a weird problem.
Going to www.winmxworld.com using normal browser gives me option to download version 2.2
If I follow the link within WinMX to update, I get the same dns address for the same page, but I get version 3 download.
AVG however seems to think this is a trojan downloader.  This may of course be a false positive, but i am confused and concerned about the differnce in the two website which appear to me to be the same.

Flush

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
Re: Downloading New WinMX client
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 01:26:20 pm »
Version 3 is the latest dll patch that is there. It is not a trojan, some other users have this problem too, it is a false positive.
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

KM

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 07:49:11 pm »
it has been reported 3 times of AVG reporting it (only AVG)... however most AVG users seem to get an all clear, which is odd to say the least, but yes it is a false alert and the file is fine

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 09:26:50 pm »
I don't use AVG myself, so i'm unable to test, does it employ heuristic scanning? if so, is there, as there is in my AV software a setting for how paranoid that is? & could having that set high be the cause of those few alerts? or does anyone know if it's a version specific thing, perhaps an older/newer version has a less accurate mechanism for determining this? just some thoughts, if someone is checking this out.. if it turns out to be an old version thing, the answer would be obvious... update to the latest..

I'd advise Flush to do a quick check at AVG's site that they has the latest available version at least if it's the free one in use.
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

KM

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 03:37:37 am »
actually ghostship was the first person to report AVG detecting it - lol, he was using the latest AVG i believe, so i went and checked with the same version and the same updates, and i got an all clear... which is extremely odd

AVG have been sent a copy and we are waiting to hear back from them regarding why it was detected as such, then either they can update their filters to be more accurate, or of course i can look at working around it - it's only a very small number of users, but stopping AVG alerting it still potentally 1 or 2 users that might otherwise have turned away from MX

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 04:16:25 am »
Quite apart from the fact posts asking about alerts look damn bad to the typically paranoid user....
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Technical  |  WinMX Client  |  Downloading New WinMX client

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx