gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 26, 2024, 09:39:48 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Other Software  |  WinMXGroup Beta Test
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WinMXGroup Beta Test  (Read 10200 times)

Aka Evil Hatch

Re: WinMXGroup Beta Test
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 06:01:26 pm »
Good to see your still on things km , havent seen ya for ages , hope things goon well since i seen you around , i see your still a big part as usual to mx and chat clients and such and a few others i havent seen in a whille like Tokers , anyways best of things that few of ya are around here  peace m8 :P

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 06:25:06 pm »
To garnly

I got many results on searching elvis. No problems with that. Could also download the file. Also could connect quicker than before. Clicked disconnect and reconected, everything roaring. Primary is up and running. All downloads, loads of uploads and many results.

To KM

COOL SPLASH SCREEN. COOL PATCH. THANKS THANKS AND THANKS AGAIN

Great work.... please continue it. :twisted:
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 10:06:16 pm »
*** running the 3.0 uninstaller will remove it as you would expect, and no it doesn't make a backup of the hosts file - why? because it doesn't touch it, the patch modifies that at run time in order to allow parts to function properly, something that has been in it for several versions.

Since it is expected that the hosts file WILL be trashed.. the installer could and should prepare for that inevitability and make a backup.  If the hosts file is read inly protected, a backup is made, so it can be done right?

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 10:12:27 pm »
the patch in operation effectively upgrades an incompatible patch which should have been uninstalled first anyhow... uninstalling it returns your machine to standard, so you re patch..
if you upgrade msn from v6 to 7.5 then uninstall you expect msn to be GONE.. not to find msn 6 there.....
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Essex-tacy

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2006, 10:13:47 pm »
Ermm not bad but crashes alot more than it use to on both primary and secondary, any reasons to why? Also is it a possibility the new IE7 Is causing the crashing problems?

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2006, 10:26:33 pm »
To garnly

I got many results on searching elvis. No problems with that. Could also download the file. Also could connect quicker than before. Clicked disconnect and reconected, everything roaring. Primary is up and running. All downloads, loads of uploads and many results.

As I said, I too later got WPN hits on 'elvis' - its just that for some reason it was not working earlier.  hits were flooding in from opennap servers, but not a single hit from WPN.  I tested several other pop searches and none got any WPN hits.  it was intermittent as after I made several other scenario and DLL changes, it started working.  If I hadn't got any opennap hots, i would think maybe it was some net blockage.

I know that often when doing a pop search, few if any results come in then they stop.  some seconds later I lose connection to the primary.  Maybe that's another factor i failed to mention.. my tests were as secondary.  anyway.. i ran several searches and got not a single hit during that period.  Could it be the primary was not sending me the WPN search results?  IIRC, i had a stable connection to primary at that time.

Later, the patch seemed to work as expected - though i had trouble finding any fake chaff files being listed to test the filter.  Anyone know any current file names being flooded to test this more?

KM

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 10:45:11 pm »
Ermm not bad but crashes alot more than it use to on both primary and secondary, any reasons to why? Also is it a possibility the new IE7 Is causing the crashing problems?

any information on what you were doing at the time? was it whilst using winmx, or whilst you were awar from the computer for example, if whilst using it is there anything you were doing during each crash? also are any third party addons being used with winmx?

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2006, 10:50:52 pm »
Try the simple word "test" Gnarly, hardly copyrighted but it seems that 4 letters match up with an Alicia Keyes release so they feel its ok to attack your internet connection. 

Essex-tacy

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2006, 12:10:49 am »
Hmmm I have Bend MX added on but that doesnt work like i remember it did on 3.53, and no no other programmes, sometimes i dont even get the WInMX screen up it just tells me it crashes before it has loaded fully.

KM

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 01:16:58 am »
try using the MultiMX installer and selecting winmx 3.53 see if bendmx likes that any more...

...just trying to find a computer that bendmx will actually work on so i can try it with the patch to see if there are any problems there as it has been mentioned twice now, I've never had it work even without the patch before on here, lol

Offline Scyre

• Forum Member
  • <Insert nothing here.>
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2006, 07:00:19 am »
SIMPLY AWESOME
Once again you have done the entire WinMX Community a great service KM :)

The new patch is working great on my 2kPro system, and even connects a bit faster it seems. So far, not a single bug to report, but I am trying to beat the snot out of it to see what I can break lol

Thanx for all of your selfless effort in providing yet another tool to help us keep a secure network, and to get rid of the crap traffic that the tyrants are pouring into our little world.

btw: I have finished patching up your inflatable midget. Feel free to pick it up at your leasure.
lmao

Be Good and thanx again buddy
Sincerely,
the enigmatic ubiquitous son of a goat eating leprichaun,
Scyre
A cat will almost always blink when hit with a hammer.

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 06:39:16 pm »
Try the simple word "test" Gnarly, hardly copyrighted but it seems that 4 letters match up with an Alicia Keyes release so they feel its ok to attack your internet connection. 

You coulda warned me..  I got nearly 16000 hits on 'test'

And as you indicated several were chaff files.  Some for 'alicia keyes', some for 'Cars', and more for 2 apps 'movie clone' and dvd43, which i am guessing just might be dvd rippers.  I didn't see a legit copy of either - all fake.

lots of the chaff files had URLs in the file name, like letoutedonkey.com and emule-mania.com.  are those legit site they are trying to trash?  or are they fronts for mpaa/riaa?  both seem to be in French, which i am rather rusty with.

after perusing those 16000 hits, i decided to test with "movie clone".  when i did a raw test for that [connecting with my hosts file as primary, i got over 5000 hits - 99+% fake.  When i added -user to the same search, i got only 21 hits, all of which looked legit, not not related to the dvd ripper program if that's what its called.

Then i installed v3 beta patch and the test results were similar to my -user test, with < 30 hits avg for 4 searches.

It seems the patch is as effective as adding -user to one's search words.

I spent a couple hours testing other scenarios, but found results erratic.  It seems that search effectiveness is very poor.  I searched for some files I had shared on my other system and should have got between 50 and 200 hits based on my search criteria, yet I didn't get a single hit.  I did these searches over 10 times and never did it list a single hit from the files i had shared.  O don't know what might be effecting searches so much, but it seems very much to lack reliability.  I don't search or download much, mainly just run my systems as file servers, so I wasn't aware that searching was so poor on wpn :\

Offline Maxe

• WMW Team
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2006, 07:15:05 pm »
No problems to report with the beta patch so far. Installed it on the day of release.
And to Gnarly:
I searched for some files I had shared on my other system and should have got between 50 and 200 hits based on my search criteria, yet I didn't get a single hit.
Km will correct me if I'm wrong on this but searching for files, even if on another computer but using the same internet connection will still resolve back to the same public IP, so WinMX will probably not display them.

KM

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2006, 07:19:39 pm »
It seems the patch is as effective as adding -user to one's search words.

if the flooders for that search term are using a path with "user" in it then either would filter them - however 3.0 does not depend on them doing that (they are already flooding some searches with random drive letters), and of course using -user also filters legitimate users (default XP username of "user", and default MX shared directory contains the username...) using -user is a temporary thing just as -c: was before that, they can easily change to a system whereby only 3.0 could filter them and not the exclusion of certain words (use random paths...)

and for searching for files you share - go browse someone in a chat room then search for a file you know they have, most of the time you will not see it, searches are not global

Offline GnarlySnarly

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 07:30:25 pm »
No problems to report with the beta patch so far. Installed it on the day of release.
And to Gnarly:
I searched for some files I had shared on my other system and should have got between 50 and 200 hits based on my search criteria, yet I didn't get a single hit.
Km will correct me if I'm wrong on this but searching for files, even if on another computer but using the same internet connection will still resolve back to the same public IP, so WinMX will probably not display them.

Each of my systems has its own IP.  In the past, I have seen results from my other systems.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2006, 09:40:54 pm »
Quote from: GnarlySnarly
lots of the chaff files had URLs in the file name, like letoutedonkey.com and emule-mania.com.  are those legit site they are trying to trash?  or are they fronts for mpaa/riaa?..

I am sure you can imagine the purpose here.. They are not fronts as far as we are aware this is designed to add legitimacy and to blacken names of known sites/groups in order to deter using them in the future.

In the past I have even seen WinMX Room Tags in fake file names..  :?

KM

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2006, 12:03:18 pm »
OK, from the feedback from testing there was 1 reported crash that no further followup details came from, and a few reports of bendmx issues that were found to actually be unrelated to the patch (those reporting the patch breaking bendmx also found it doesn't work half of the time anyway, with or without patch) therefore, it is time...

3.0 final has been released, downloads on https://www.winmxgroup.com/ (those observant of you will note the same download URLs as the beta installers, although the files have been updated)

Thanks to everyone for testing - and an even bigger thanks for not comming back with a huge list of things that I needed to fix ;-)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Other Software  |  WinMXGroup Beta Test

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx