gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 01:04:59 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Video and Audio Help  |  Video Help  |  AVI files won't play
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: AVI files won't play  (Read 4132 times)

Offline gini872

• Forum Member
AVI files won't play
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:10:37 pm »
Hi there.  I have a small problem.  All the AVI files that I have downloaded no longer play video.  I have the sound, but no picture.  Can someon explain how to fix this?  I deleted all the files and have been trying to re download.  So far only 1 has downloaded with video.  Please advise.  Thanks

KM

Re: AVI files won't play
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:25:17 pm »
do you have any codec packs installed?

avi files are a container that can contain many different types of audio/video, and to play back a file you need to have the decoders for both the audio and video files inside it. In many cases the audio will use something common that all computers have the decoders for however windows doesn't come with many decent decoders for video (it only comes with ones that make huge files). So for the vast majority of videos you will need to install the decoders for the video file.

Thankfully there aren't that many different codecs that get used for encoding video, just a handful of decent ones get used - so quite a few people have made codec packs, these are installers with several of the most common codecs in that can be used to play just about any file you download.

There are several common codec packs you can use, you only really need one though as they normally just contain pretty much the same thing

Several common codec packs:
Codec pack all in one
KLite Codec Pack
XP Codec Pack
(just pick one of them, any should do for most videos)

Offline gini872

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 01:15:37 pm »
Thank you so much for the info.  I downloaded one of the ones you listed.  I have a few downloads going, so hopefully they will work.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 02:22:28 pm »
you don't need to install more than one for most files. The special ones have seperate codecs... (eg real, flash,etc)

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline gini872

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 04:16:33 am »
So far the new avi files I have downloaded are working with the Codec Pack I downloaded.  THanks again.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Video and Audio Help  |  Video Help  |  AVI files won't play

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.017 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx