gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 02:25:09 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Latest Patch
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Latest Patch  (Read 2374 times)

jjoo7

Latest Patch
« on: November 23, 2008, 02:47:02 pm »
I just clicked on the link to the latest Patch which appeared in the "moving update bar" of my WinMX program, and the info about it said to remove all other patches and install this new one. It's supposed to speed up connection times and eliminate fake files.

My question is, am I really supposed to uninstall all former WinMX patches which I also got via the WinMX Community site over the years? Or does the instruction possibly refer to other patches obtained for these same purposes, via some 3rd party offering maybe, which should be uninstalled before installing this new one?

Offline jj007

• Forum Member
  • HUH?!!
Re: Latest Patch
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 02:51:39 pm »
Me again, jjoo7, just to let y'all know I'm not a "guest", I just didn't log in properly prior to posting my query apparently.

OK, that's all, now let me hear from anybody who's knowledgable about this new patch installation process! Thanx!

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 03:02:10 pm »
Hi jj007

The new patch is writen by a mutual person. This patch still does everything and a little more. The new installation will remove everything from former patches that have been placed on the winmx folder.

All it is simple folder that needs to be downloaded and excuted. All with winmx of of course and that is it. 

If you have any problems please post abck or come and visit us at WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:47:04 pm »
I think that you mean "neutral" person, tig. Unless EaglE has multiple-personality disorder!  :o
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:58:59 am »
lol opps sorry eagle... and tahnks for pointing that out.
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 09:58:08 am »
This page was created to address most patch queries and I hope you,ll find the information you seek here.

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/patch_information.html

Please let us know if there is anything else you wish to know Jjoo7  :)

Offline jj007

• Forum Member
  • HUH?!!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 04:51:09 pm »
Two more quick questions --

1)  I noticed this latest patch is only offered for WInMX versions 3.53 and 3.54b4. But I have version 3.31. What should I do?

2)  Info on the download page about the patch says "These installers will patch existing installations or reinstall/upgrade WinMx". Does "REINSTALL" mean that if I didn't have the program on my system at all, this "patch" would also work to install the entire app fresh? Or must one first install an original version of the WinMX app and then apply this patch?

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 05:50:32 pm »
These installers will do exactly what it says: they will either reinstall and apply the patch or in case you do not have winmx installed already they will do a fresh installation of a working WinMX.

WinMX 3.31 is not supported anymore for several reasons, it's simply outdated by now.

That's why you should simply get either WinMX 3.53 or WinMX 3.54beta4 (which really only is called beta because WinMX got shutdown before it was released, it's perfectly stable and has a superior library system) from that page and just use the installer to do everything for you.
It should do all the necessary changes on your system to have you up and running in no time, including do port forwarding automatically with uPnP :)
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline jj007

• Forum Member
  • HUH?!!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 06:56:22 pm »
Okay then, looks like I can discard the last  ver 3.54b4 full install of WinMX I downloaded but have yet to install on my new HP laptop. Instead I'll simply install this latest patch/full version (a bit confusing, you must admit, being a patch as well as a full install of the program).

Re. updating my 3.31 version, I'm rather leery coz the oooold laptop on which it's installed is totally full-up with no HD or RAM to spare, running on Win98 SE btw. So, if the newer versions require more RAM or take up more space on the HD, then I'm kaput. I'm operating on just 64MB RAM because my addl 128 stick (2000 laptop, maxes out at 192MB RAM) burnt out, or rather the compartment did, so I'm stuck with just the permanent 64MB stick that came with the system.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 11:18:44 pm »
WinMX has always been lean with your resources and I,m not aware of any changes made that will change its operation in any major way, we are asking folks to upgrade for their own benefit, the older 3.31 client has many failings in terms of allowing several well known buffer overflow attacks some we saw used in late 2005/2006 to knock folks offline, the majority of users are on the beta 3.54 as its built like a tank in my opinion with some protocol improvement not in the older clients, but for those who like the older library style 3.53 is ok to use.

Give it a whirl  :-D

Offline jj007

• Forum Member
  • HUH?!!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 01:16:19 am »
OK, gonna go for it and upgrade WinMX on my old laptop, hope all goes smoothly.

Thanx for the specs re. the improvements in newer WinMX versions. FYI, I have indeed been knocked off a music download mid-song and suddenly put in queue. Always wondered why that happened!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Latest Patch

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx