gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 05:00:31 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Other Software  |  What Fake Files? Sherwood back on track!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What Fake Files? Sherwood back on track!  (Read 17161 times)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
What Fake Files? Sherwood back on track!
« on: September 02, 2005, 12:47:23 pm »
Okay folks its here, finally someone has taken steps to put an END to the fakes that are being flooded into WinMX.

Sherwood Project Beta

There are specific instructions on how to install this program and places to report any bugs or problems you encounter at that site also.  If your a Primary user on WinMX we URGE you to please use and test this program.  If your a secondary user help us get the word out to everyone about this great development!

Q: What is it?
A standalone executable, that blocks the Cartels high speed servers from ever connecting to primaries on the WinMX Network.  This program is in its Beta form, and we need people to test it desperately.

Q: Who should use it?
ALL PRIMARY USERS on WinMX should install this in order for it to work.

Q: How do I get it?
Follow the above link, download, and follow the directions given.  There are a few forms of downloads because some operating systems may require extra files in order for this to work properly.

Q: How does it work?
This software works by blocking the Cartels severs from connecting to the primaries.  Unlike other IP blocking programs this one is designed to work with your WinMX, much like an addon, rather then a separate program.

Q: Who created this for us?
A programmer called Robin Hood, accurately named, is a WinMX user just like your self that was sick and tired of the Cartels feeding off of the primary users of WinMX, steeling bandwidth and using DOS attacks to disrupt legal use of this program.  Be sure to stop by the Sherwood Forrest Forum and give a thanks to them

Q: If I use this I wont get fake results?
Not true YET, Because there are literally tens of thousand primary users on the WPN at any one time.  Its been approximated that until 60% of primary users have this software in place, the fake results and DOS attacks will continue.  Understand that a few people using this will have no effects on the flooding, a reason many programmers didn't feel this type of software could work.  Lets prove them wrong and get the word out to all users!

Q: It's 'Beta', is it safe?
Yes, this program is safe, and the more people that are using it and getting feedback to the developer, the sooner it will be an official release.

Q: I am using another program such as PeerGuardian, do I need both?
We recommend you continue to use your PeerGuardian or other P2P protection as usual, may users find its helpful in blocking many unwanted connections, not always from WinMX.  Until we can say that the majority of WinMX primary users have the Sherwood software in place its vital to continue blocking in every way we can.

If you have any other questions not covered here fell free to post them here or on the Sherwood site.  If you get this program and find a bug or have any problems using or installing it, please post them at Sherwood Forrest  Forums so that your feedback can make this program possible.

HUGE THANKS to Robin Hood for saving the day!

:wink:

Josh-toolazytologin

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 02:18:10 pm »
couldn't you just connection to 1000's of primarys and run it?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 03:27:34 pm »
WinMX has no superpeer facility Josh. and even if it did it would require all primaries to filter any secondaries still.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 09:36:47 am »
Im a lil unsure how 2 instal this

can some1 help

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 10:04:44 am »
Sure Zeus  :)

1) Run the Sherwood.exe file from the desktop and input the TCP port you intend to use with WinMX (by default WinMX uses 6699).

2) Now start WinMX and you should see a list of connections on the left side of the Sherwood window , those are the secondary connections that you have , and all is working well  :P  

If you find that the program complains of an error then you will need to get a few extra files from the sherwood site and maybe place these in folder of their own with Sherwood.

http://sherwood.sh.funpic.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1

I really is as simple as it sounds Zeus  :lol:

Remember to get everyone to use this  :)

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 12:29:36 pm »
Ty Ghost Ship

:)

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 12:35:08 pm »
ok everytime i enter the port number i get this message on an error

"An Application is Already Bound to Port #6699. If WinMX is Running Please Close it First"

I dont have winmx running tho

:?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 04:33:28 pm »
Hmm , I have seen that message but not unless i had it running , ill ask the nice guy Robin if theres some extra checks he needs to place in his program, try again straight after a reboot and see if its ok then  :?

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 09:27:06 pm »
Im hosting a room

WCS

Will that be causing the problem?

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 12:17:27 am »
It shouldnt cause a problem unless you have the ports set at 6699 for the wcs...

Have you ever changed your ports for the WCS or WinMX if so what are they now ?

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 01:07:55 am »
Port 3

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 01:51:32 am »
Okay Zeus heres what i need you to do,,

Hop over to the Sherwood Forums and post the problems that your having..

This is the best place so that Robin Hood and others there can help you out and also be imformed of problems..

Lets us know what you find out if you dont mind .. and thanks for using this program!

:wink:

Robin Hood

Firewall
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2005, 02:43:29 pm »
sounds like you have a software based firewall running

try disabling it first, or creating a special rule for mx/sherwood

blu

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 12:10:48 pm »
me here
i was wondering for some time,what the hell all those files,on any given artist at one time was,well Flooders ay,u guys figure out what we need to do 2 keep sharinh alive and well i'll do it .........thanks,blu

blu

I.P. 206.204.51.134 this damn I.P. number is the HACKER
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 12:18:11 pm »
Under subject as we type ,this indiviviual has been for better than three months trying to enter my computer through a port ,they won't realize u can't mess with Dave Raggets boyz so keep tryinf fool u are the kind of slime we are dealing with here.

bez

sherwood
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 04:53:35 pm »
me here
Im usually connected through a secondary connection, but I'm willing to give this new sherwood thingy a try. Whats the diff b/w primary and secondary connections? Whats the benefit of being on a primary connection? (Pardon my ignorance)

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 05:09:42 pm »
Being on a primary is usually beneficial in that you are able to get better speeds for both uploads and downloads..

Right now we desperately need primaries as since the crash many users that arent in the the chat rooms are not aware  that we are even back up and running
So yes primary right now is a VERY huge help to the network as long as your ports are set and its allowing secondary connections ...

ie: P=9 S=13  <<

:>

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
1.1.1b
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 07:02:08 pm »
New Sherwood out folks  :D

http://sherwood.sh.funpic.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1

This new release is obviously built on the knowledge gained from the earlier releases  
Thanks  Robin  8)

Offline burrito

• MX Hosts
sherwood project
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 08:02:43 pm »
i will add this sherwood file as soon as my m8 comes and replaces a few things on my puter if it will help keep winmx alive. which should be in a day or 2 . and will pass the word to other primary users. and thankx to all who got us back online .

Redmage

winmx isnt working for me even tho i installed a patch
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 11:55:55 pm »
what am i doin wrong?

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Other Software  |  What Fake Files? Sherwood back on track!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx