gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 26, 2024, 08:37:50 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Peerguardian? bad now?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Peerguardian? bad now?  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Metalcore

• Forum Member
Peerguardian? bad now?
« on: September 22, 2006, 10:46:03 pm »
 I have no problems with pg2 seems to be working fine block same old crap...

This message from xmgroup dosent make any sence to me at all....
what dose this mean? and why? why cant i just uncheck that list? i use pg2 to also block ip's an ranges along with other prog..

this message just dosent make sence to me--------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning to peer guardian users
"Bluetack" who maintain the lists for Peer Guardian have been comromised by an unknown anti-p2p organisation. Anyone using their block lists (any peer guardian users by default) may find serious problems attempting to use p2p networks.

It is urgent that anyone using this compromised program remove it immediately, failure to do so may result in extremely poor performance of any and all p2p applications. Including WinMX.

WinMX Users are advised to run the latest WinMXGroup patch from www.winmxgroup.com which will block flooders and filter their flooded fakes and protect the network from anti-p2p groups attacking it. If you run WinMX without it then you may be breaking the law, as well as helping those trying to shut down WinMX
---------------------------------------------------------------------
So? use sherwood? im still using both sherwood an pg2 and other firewalls? what should we do?
tyvm for everything us mx user do ;)
Metalcore
:D

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Peerguardian? bad now?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 11:05:36 pm »
Hi Metalcore, due to a shift in peer cache IP's we that was made earlier today its now vitally important that you are not using PG if your using WinMx as for some reason they are blocking all the winmx peer cache servers and also many unprotected host file users.

The problem is PG obtain their lists from Blutak and they are the ones who have placed the cache IPs, on their lists.

I have made a post on the Blutak forum and am waiting to hear what the problem is but for now my advice to you is disable it while using winmx or manually edit out the blocked ranges that are used by the caches, you can find them here.

https://www.winmxgroup.com/check3.php

I hope that clears up the mystery, please post again if you want more details or info.

Offline Metalcore

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 07:45:33 am »
my cache's are all ok it says even with pg on and sherwood
the ones that failed are "Other Known (Unused) Caches"
if so need to edit those ips...
good? bad? I dont think my pg has updated and i use mostly my lists ive made...
it is only a small firewall prog.... but if not using pg what is recommended?
tyvm ghost
Metalcore

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 10:44:48 am »
i would recommend the 3.0 patch, which takes care of ALL needed blocking for winmx
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

KM

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 11:03:58 am »
look at how many MILLIONS of IP addresses peer guardian blocks - most of those being potential sharers of a file you want

and erm, what do you mean about it being OK? you mean the web page where the web server checks the caches says they are online? that has nothing to do with you being able to access them... currently anyone using the bluetack lists in peer guardian is not able to connect to any of those 4 caches as all of them are on the block list

they seem to have justified blocking them all by stating that some completely unrelated IP Address that has nothing to do with anything and nobody has said anything about has "MusicNet Inc" listed in the whois contact... which makes a lot of sense - btw you are evil, because the IP Address 4.3.2.1 is allocated to Level3, that is basically what they are trying to claim as justification for blocking all of the winmx caches

I have added a warning page alerting users to the fact that peer guardian users should remove peer guardian as it would seem that they are refusing to stop blocking p2p networks - their response is to now claim anything that is anything to do with winmx is clearly anti-p2p because it says something bad about bluetack and therefore they will block anything they can in an attempt to prevent peer guardian users being able to read it... aren't you glad that you gave them control over what you are allowed to read? i think they have failed to realise that their own messed up lists are preventing that though, because most users have HTTP allowed due to being completely unable to use the internet with HTTP blocked (as bluetack also block the vast majority of websites), and therefore they do not have the ability to censor HTTP properly

Removing peer guardian is strongly recommended, the latest winmxgroup patch blocks all of the flooders on winmx (those who have nothing to do with winmx clearly do not get blocked as there would be no point) and also filters the flooded results, this is all the blocking that is needed - blocking millions of potential download sources is hardly helpful

Offline Metalcore

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 02:23:30 pm »
Well to me it seems that one back stabs the other to me.....
I have full faith in mxgroup
but i still want to be assured protection so my question wasnt answered
id rather use mx for everything, i use it to even transfer files to my other computers.
ive always used mx since 1.0 and id like to keep it that way :)

ps: how can winmx be a anti p2p?
them pg ppl gotta screw there head on strait or something lol jezzz.
If there called "peerguardian"
so shouldnt it be that.

tyvm and whoever is against mx wont be in my good book!
Metalcore

Offline Metalcore

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 03:11:07 pm »
Metalcore

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 09:14:41 pm »
Metal core I see you mention using WinMx 1.0 this is on my list of most wanted files , do you have a filed away copy of this much sought after gem ?

Offline Metalcore

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 02:34:58 am »
you know whats funny i actually do i burnt them to a cd like 8yrs ago from another comp that had win 95 on it lol
I'll look i have it somewhere maybe i can upload them for u...
Metalcore

mark r.

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 11:09:54 pm »
didn't know if this link would be helpful or not. i know some people use linux and different dc apps.

http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=PEERGUARDIAN

i was also curious like metalcore. i use the http block and maybe that's why i couldn't ever get to the message when i clicked on the click here in mx. when i clicked on it the timer would stop in winmx and things would freeze. so if i wanted to edit pg i would use these ?https://www.winmxworld.com/files/block_list.txt
https://www.winmxworld.com/files/allow.txt

i havn't noticed any issues yet on mx with my pg on until trying to click on pg users click here in mx,but will turn it of for now. are there any suggestions for the editing and for peeps who might also use dc+ ?
thanks in advance for the great info in winmx world from everyone

KM

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 11:53:27 pm »
There are 2 things that peer guardian claims to block:
1. those who attack p2p (macrovision etc) - those are not blocked by peer guardian, the only ones blocked are the ones that are attacking winmx that they took from our lists, none of the others are blocked - so for that purpose peer guardian is completely useless for any p2p network apart from winmx, and for winmx it is useless compared to the patch
2. those who want to send out threatening letters - it does nothing to prevent that, 1. they don't have to connect to you to make threats, so blocking them doesn't make any difference, 2. it doesn't block them anyway, just blocks a couple of their publicly advertised IP Addresses (you think they use those for actual work?) and of course also blocks their local church in case they decide to do it from there :roll:

there are currently no reasons to use peer guardian with their current block lists that are run by suspected RIAA employees - and they plan to change to an even worse system for block lists shortly (where it becomes completely impossible for a confirmed macrovision IP Address to be added to the list)... in fact the only thing that peer guardian can be useful for is a lightweight firewall purely for blocking specific IP Addresses - for example if you host some form of server (chat room, website, etc) and wish to block a specific IP Address/ISP connecting, and of course for linux the best way to do that is iptables which comes enabled on most (all?) distros so needs no extra setup

Offline burrito

• MX Hosts
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 08:23:52 pm »
i cannot get the new patch , but one day i got on my puter and winmx had put the patch in 4 me somehow and it also said those with peergaurdian click here . well i did and got rid of peergaurdian 2 cause i had the patch . i had to restore files and lost the patch and also had uninstalled peergaurdian . how did u put in that patch 4 me ? and could you do it again i dont have the patch or peergaurdian 2 now ?

KM

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 09:20:24 pm »
www.winmxgroup.com and click "Download WinMX Now!"... shouldn't be any reason you would be unable to install it (not with peer guardian removed anyway)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Peerguardian? bad now?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx