gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 02:04:39 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  port 7943 what is it
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: port 7943 what is it  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
port 7943 what is it
« on: October 19, 2006, 01:50:21 am »
Hi, asa very proud runner of cache i was looking at my active connections and i noticed that their was alot of connections to this supposed dead port, any advice at all as to wtf its all about, i mean its obvious its winmx wid 99.9% of em being 6257 but im just abit lost and im going to allow the stupid port just to stop them clogging up me firewall lists lol, i have removed ips etc and i clear the screen every hour or so unless im sleeping, I DONT KEEP LOGS if anyone was wondering, i think its invasion of privacy just incase anyone asked. just that screen hold my active and blocked(You dont stay active for more than a few secs anyway lol. So yes what is it lol
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline Josh

• Forum Member
  • Thinking about tomorrow...
    • http://www.winmxunlimited.net
Re: port 7943 what is it
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 02:06:16 am »
i never noticed that when i ran a cache. But i dont run one anymore after what it did to my poor pc :(

i think 172. is aol
- Josh

Fun Guest

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 06:12:26 am »
No josh. Port 5190 is aol.

The network table doesn't show port 7943. I guess some nosey hacker picked that port randomly...

Faithless_Sniper

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 07:22:36 am »
To be honnest i would say that you have nothing to worry about if you look at the Cache status of WinMx Group you will see the nearest port to 7943 is 7942 and this is someone elses primary. Another thing that i see from that screenshot is that you are the source and the port 7943 is the target machines port so unless they have something to say dont worry.

KM

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 10:36:18 am »
it is an unused duplicate port in patch version 2.0, the original purpose was to allow for patch version detection based on queries however it is not used and the caches do not listen for it (and it was removed in 2.1)

and i am seriously reconsidering this users running caches thing, purely because every single one of you has so far come up with some form of "when i was watching the traffic i noticed... what is it?" question, any further monitoring of the traffic for anything except trying to diagnose a problem and i will stop directing users to that cache, if you were meant to be monitoring traffic then the cache would be displaying it all for you, rather than displaying nothing to you as it currently does

Faithless_Sniper

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 11:03:58 am »
I agree there KM, there is no need to be monitoring anything because in my eyes if you offer to host a cache at least use a seperate PC and that way there is nothing to worry about.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 06:12:43 pm »
well when my firewall reports that that port is being hit it will show up in my logs, otherwise i havent got a clue, but wid my log filling up very quickly every hour on a dead port i wondered what that was, i was curious, i dont actually log the inbound traffic that is accepted, i just wondered if it needed bringing to your attention, obviously not, next time thier is any problems i wont ask for advice

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 06:27:21 pm »
* Bearded Blunder wonders when he ever asked about cache traffic....

so far as i'm aware.. all i've done is let the thing run.. i cretainly havn't monitored traffic, i assumed if there was a problem you would alert me to it
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Meeee

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 06:46:53 pm »
i agree with KM here.. seriusly kinda true.. he public-ised the catches loads of n00bs jumped in and said "yes ok i'll host" ... kind of childish in itself.. but also see KM's point.. he does need a break :)

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 07:02:14 pm »
bearded i think that was aimed at just me, all i can say is dont worry about it, i was only concerned about it, it was just showing up loads in my firewall as a attack and was being blocked, i was just affraid that might have been somethin important. if its not then fine lets get bk to normal. ill ignore it, but like i say, i dont log or watch the traffic, it just was giving these odd address's in me blocked firewall list. as that was a pic of the blocked list.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 07:23:33 pm »
well firewalls are so notorious for spurious alerts that i usually have logging disabled in mine, unless i'm specifically looking for something (a once in six months event) i only run one at all to alert me to new stuff trying to connect out..
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  port 7943 what is it

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx