gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 02:47:59 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Avast! marks WinMX as Adware..
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Avast! marks WinMX as Adware..  (Read 1850 times)

AlternateGuy

Avast! marks WinMX as Adware..
« on: November 02, 2006, 04:49:31 am »
Just today, my Avast! antivirus marked WinMX as Adware.
I thought the exe had been infected somehow, so I deleted it, and reinstalled from a fresh download from this page.
Avast! still sees this as adware. Has Avast! gone in league with the RIAA and MPAA and made it so that normal users won't dare to use WinMX,
or is there anything about WinMX I don't know about? I surely can't see any troubles with WinMX in that direction..

AlternateGuy

Re: Avast! marks WinMX as Adware..
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 05:13:26 am »
Just saw that there is another post about this in the technical/WinMX client forum. So it seems its a false positive, still annoying though as I cant seem to stop making Avast! see this as some malware.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 06:56:59 am »
Mabye you can add it as an exception somewhere.... Norton has the option of excluding some folders if you don' want it to auto scan everytime you visit that folder.
Avast may be having some similar option.
Typicially it's somewhere in the autoscan or auto protect section.

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 10:01:12 am »
Hi AlternateGuy,

I have had issues with Avast seeing the 'Settings.dat' file of Winmx as a 'microtrojan'.. lol If you were to allow it to remove said 'threat' WinMX will crash and have to reinstall the next time it starts up.. so the best thing to do, because it IS a false positive is to 'Right Click' the avast task icon, then choose Program Settings.. then Exclutions and point it to any WinMX related files its picking up.. it sould take care of this problem.

Let us know..
**EDIT**
Just to update yall, I have emailed Avast support and strongly urge you to do the same reporting WinMX.exe as an OK file and to be removed from thier detection rules.
You can also email them here:
support@avast.com

Nathan

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 01:23:44 pm »
Avast have just released a further update...does anyone know if this sorts out our problem....I am loathe to allow it anywhere near my WinMx files until I know its sorted...

KM

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 01:35:30 pm »
looking on the avast forus it appears that they did an update that killed a lot of software (radmin, vnc, mouse drivers, etc) - so it wasn't just limited to winmx

apparently the latest update fixes all those false positives, but winmx isn't mentioned specifically - with luck they have updated the detection rule that was triggering them all and it's solved and not just excluded mentioned programs

lost in cyberspace

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 01:40:15 pm »
If you open the Avast! program from the taskbar, double click the p2p icon, just scroll down and unclick the WinMX application. I had to re-install WinMX, but kept getting the same Avast! warnings, and after unchecking that box, the trouble stopped. As 'Me Here' requested, I sent an e-mail to them asking them to remove WinMX as a threat.

Hope this helps!

Offline UiNeill

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 01:46:21 am »
Avast have just released a further update...does anyone know if this sorts out our problem....I am loathe to allow it anywhere near my WinMx files until I know its sorted...

I think this has been sorted. My AV was updated a few hours ago and ive just reinstalled Win and its up and running without any problem.

Offline shewolf38

• Forum Member
  • A little gooky but only bite when cornered
    • HMSA Hyper mobility sufferers association
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 01:08:19 pm »
phew, glad it wasn't just me. I'll try re-installing MX now :D
Wolfie xx
Hyper mobility Syndrome, the curse of the few

Offline shewolf38

• Forum Member
  • A little gooky but only bite when cornered
    • HMSA Hyper mobility sufferers association
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 01:24:37 pm »
Just to let you know, avast is now behaving properly and I have no problems with WinMX  :D
Wolfie xx
Hyper mobility Syndrome, the curse of the few

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Avast! marks WinMX as Adware..

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx