gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 27, 2024, 12:39:09 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  File Sharing Etiquette?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: File Sharing Etiquette?  (Read 52854 times)

Offline bluepup

• Forum Member
  • bluepup
Re: File Sharing Etiquette?
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2007, 11:09:44 pm »
Do you think that perhaps those users (i.e., "leeches") might not know how to configure their libraries to share?  What's the harm in erring with a brighter outlook?

Offline pikebishop

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2007, 05:15:38 pm »
Hi,Is it me or have people become very stingy with their sharing.I am waiting weeks to finish some downloads.One cretin is uploading @ .20 per sec.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2007, 05:49:17 pm »
Most of the time, not all, but most cases like that pikebishop, upon further investigation you will find its not the user causing it but the ISP (internet provider) they use, it happens to me as well during peak times and many many users have an ISP that throttles WinMX or blocks it completely.  Those throttled may have normal speeds during off peak hours or it maybe like this for them at all times..

Before folks immediatly assume its greedy ppl, try to remember there are many reasons this could be happening that a user cant control too...

Im alot like Bluepup, I have no use for MXMonitor, I dont mind sharing files with ppl that have 0 shared or few shared, I often pm them and talk to them if possible and help teach them, I have no faults with files coming in at slow speeds (of course fast is nice too..  :wink:    ), the only ppl I ever have in my ignore list are those using the 0 of 0 hack to advertise shared files then leave ppl sitting in the que for years or until you give up and delete the files because they wont ever start..

Offline saturnx311

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2007, 11:28:14 pm »
In regards to file sharing, I'm seeing a user reported by Leechhammer as sharing exactly 3000 files. I know this is not true, is this a hack of some sort? Anyone?
Thanks

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2007, 01:11:03 am »
Hi Saturnx311,

Not sure exactly what you mean.. how do you know its not true?  Its very easy to share exactly 3000 files.

If say im sharing 4119 and a secondary user (or thier leechammer) browses me they will only see 3000 files.  Its built into WinMX to only show 3000 to secondary users and only 5000 to primary ones.

Offline saturnx311

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2007, 10:33:42 am »
Hello Me Here....
I thought that maybe it was some setting within WinMX I was not aware of.
I am a primary user, and others are showing as sharing many more than 3000( or much fewer, of course), and as this user comes up day after day as sharing exactly 3000, wasn't sure if that was possible.
What I meant was, I know that it is not true that this user is storing that exact number...just figured that anyone shares the number of files that they have on their machine, and not the number that they choose to share.
It's not a big deal, I'm very easy about sharing, # of slots allowed, DL's, etc., anyway--to the extent of bandwidth that my cable provider allows me, that is :-) I don't care how many or few files that a user shares, as long as they don't try to take up too many slots at once or something.
Thanks for your help
WinMX is the absolute effing best, keep up the great work

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2007, 12:21:06 pm »
nps saturnx311     :wink:

Offline saturnx311

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2007, 03:06:42 pm »

Before folks immediatly assume its greedy ppl, try to remember there are many reasons this could be happening that a user cant control too...

Im alot like Bluepup, I have no use for MXMonitor, I dont mind sharing files with ppl that have 0 shared or few shared, I often pm them and talk to them if possible and help teach them, I have no faults with files coming in at slow speeds (of course fast is nice too..  :wink:    ), the only ppl I ever have in my ignore list are those using the 0 of 0 hack to advertise shared files then leave ppl sitting in the que for years or until you give up and delete the files because they wont ever start..

Same here, but it's slightly stupid when some users-- I've seen this-- try to download ~100 files at a time, don't know the logic behind this, if there is any, and they end up downloading-- and uploading-- at that extremely low speed; I see them downloading at like .09, 253:54:23 hours to download, that's a little ridiculous, I have to open up another slot, and I KNOW that my PC will probably be rebooting before *that* download finishes.....

trotsky

« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2008, 12:55:52 am »
I currently have a problem with a user blocking me for no obvious reason.  i share loads of files, have winmx set to q up only 1 file to a user at a time, but this user constantly blocks me even if i change my username. on another system i have, He doesn't block me even though im sharing slightly less files. The first machine is vista running winmx 3.54 B4 with the community patch; the second is XP running winmx 3.53 with the community patch. Ive tried messaging him to find out, but he has privacy set so i cant.  I simply cant see how a monitor can be set to do this automatically even if i change my name,based on the info he can se about me within winmx - so i'm coming round to a view that maybe it's vista stopping him seeing key info somehow. ild be grateful if anyone could point at a bug in winmx, vista etc. that might explain this or a way in which I might contact him to find out how and why he's blocking.  i know that my isp is speed throttling, sometimes to really low speeds, and i get timeouts causing the next local file to enter his queue but surely monitors ought to handle this properly?

As to his file sharing etiquette, it raises a wider issue.  Just what is a sensible monitor strategy in terms of the restrictions that are set.  Although i dont believe in blocking so-called leechers, many do. Unfortunately, they seem unable to grasp (in my experience anyway) that there are other reasons why someone might q several files or appear to have none shared, that are outside the users control. Ive cited one of my examples above. Given that users will use monitors, it would be beneficial to have something on the web site that recommends settings that can control users while broadly allowing most other likely isp/network issues.  it ought also to contain some strong hints about what not to do - e.g. don't ban a user - given that its almost impossible to get the reason for the ban ought of a user. perhaps the monitor software should be modified to  prevent 'stupid' combinations and impose sensible limits. Advertising a user's restrictions is needed too as not everyone does it the same and what's right for one is not right for another.

what are the views of others on this? Im certainly getting heartily sick of running up against stupid monitor problems and i'm sure others must be too.  we have enough winmx issues to worry about without this - long winmx queues, slow speeds, etc. and this problem is undoubtedly getting worse not better.

Offline dlc247

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2009, 02:50:24 pm »
Hello, I hope this reaches "Me Here", :-D because in the past you've given forth many sensible and usable responses. :yes: Question; is there any way to disinfect the hordes of leeches :vomit: that infest my queue? Whenever possible I monitor my queue manually, weeding out the non-file sharing leeches but they always return, sometimes, it seems with reinforcements. It's so unfair to the file-sharing community and I wish there was a way to combat this abhorent behavior...

Offline Savage Blades

• Forum Member
    • DJ Hire
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2009, 03:32:58 pm »
yep there is a couple of programs..
but please define what you call a leech.. 
someone with zero files shared ?
someone who has files but never has a single upload ..ever (ie junk shares )
etc etc
then I can suggest whats best for you..
My opinions, are mine !
They may, or may not reflect the views and opinions of other WinMX World Forum members !!
DJ Hire

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2009, 04:12:04 pm »
Hey Dlc,
Just wanted you to know I have seen ya question, however I'm going to let Savage help on this one.  He can get you set up with whats best when you reply to his questions.

:kiss:

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  File Sharing Etiquette?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx