gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever May 11, 2024, 02:09:13 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  File Sharing Etiquette?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: File Sharing Etiquette?  (Read 52905 times)

Offline bilvihur

• Forum Member
File Sharing Etiquette?
« on: November 24, 2006, 02:43:39 am »
I'm relatively new to WINMX, but have had the following experience enough times to trouble me: I may Browse a User while downloading a file, and attempt to put multiple download requests in his queue and wait my turn. Abruptly, the original download will disconnect, and all others in the queue will time out. Is it bad manners to make multiple requests of one user? I have 5 upload slots, and allow 2 per user at any time. I don't have a problem with a dozen requests by the same person, as long as they're willing to wait their turn.   :(

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
Re: File Sharing Etiquette?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 06:04:33 am »
Some people use mx moniter which will disconnect if you queue up too many files togatehr.
Go to winmx>queuing and set the maximum number of downloads per user to 3. Which works great for me.
You can browse and queue up files. But make sure that you do not hog the other person's bandwidth.
Not exactly bad manners to queue up many files. But the thing is that people may be sharing many files and that others may be denied of their chance to download their files.
Set the downloads per user to three and you will automaticially enter the queue for another file once you finish the one that is downloading.
Also note:
If you use opennap the you cannot multi source downloads so if you keep clicking all the yellow files you get in the searches, then all you are doing is downloading the same file over and over again.
You may not be having a problem with multiple requests. But others may and if so, then you have a problem. :)

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

KM

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 10:24:30 am »
it is generally considered bad by most because although you might only be getting 1 file at a time, you basically queue for 5 and as soon as one finishes the other starts without you having to queue up again... which is pretty much jumping the queue for the next file, which is why many people set mxmonitor to automatically remove you (and ignore so you can't try again...) to make sure you queue up again and give other users a chance to get files instead of taking up a slot for 5 downloads in a row without anyone else having a chance

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 11:22:35 am »
I agree with Sam, more then likely your finding some users that have MxMoni set to ignore folks that que for a 'certain' number of files.. whats that number tho? Many times in the browse message of ppl you can find their preferences.. if not I generally really wont que for more then 3 files at a time unless I know its ok with the person.

On the other hand.. I also dont ignore by upload requests even if I do have moni running, I agree with you bilvihur, if a person is willing to wait for them, Im willing to upload to them when its their turn.  That said I dont like folks that queue for an entire season of shows because those can take hours and hours to upload Id much prefer they que for them all a few at a time leaving a few other folks spaces in between.

Offline bilvihur

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 11:24:24 am »
I had Max Downloads/User set same as Max Downloads. By reducing it, the queuing will occur on my end of the connection - right? I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info.

KM

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 12:43:52 pm »
if you set max downloads per user to something then it will limit to that, so if you set it to say 2 then try to go for 3 files from the same user then the third will be locally queued, so it won't download from them (or join their queue) until one of the others finishes

and personally if someone wants an entire album then that's fine they can get 10 mp3s from me (in fact i have mp3s set to auto start so they can skip the queue) however i find there are a lot of people who queue for an entire series of some TV program... mxmoni doesn't have an option to tell the difference so i have it set to auto clear someone queuing for loads, then have mp3s set to auto start so there is no need to queue for them (mp3s are set to auto start by telling it to start anything under 50MB because it lacks an mp3 option... all of my mp3s are under 50MB and all of my other files are above it so it works fine)

Offline sst75tss

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 11:48:32 am »
What seems to be a forgotten feature of WinMx in this thread, the automatic search and que enter. To the other side it may seem to be some  one hogging the que, but in reality, it is the way WinMx is designed. These monitors that ignore for a certain number of files in que, are bogas apps that people that don't have a clue use.

KM

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 04:46:27 pm »
winmx by default will never go and queue for an entire TV series, even if you go and browse someone and select the entire series you then have to change your settings (or manually override each one individually) in order to get them to queue

there is no way to innocently join a queue more than once, as the default in winmx will locally queue the second file you attempt to access from the same user, and you have to change the setting to increase this - and if you increase it to something stupidly high (i think setting to 2 is OK and reasonable, 3 is pushing your luck, more is asking for trouble) then it's not really innocently joining someones queue loads of times, you are doing it deliberately - and therefore if someone does ignore you for it and cut off your uploads then you have nobody to blame but yourself (either for doing it deliberately and knowingly, or for not thinking through the potential effects - depending on which is the case)

Offline sst75tss

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 01:26:56 am »
I am never amazed at the stingy attitudes of some people,,, on a file sharing network.

Yes you are correct about the defaults, but who the hell leaves the setting at the default. And this setting above 2 or 3, is that the que number that you would join, if so, I would never finish my incompletes without it set at 100. Many times I've entered a que in the multi-hundreds, like one right now at 843, yes 842 ahead of me in line for some file(s).

Share or just keep your freakin machine off the network(s).

KM

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 02:17:26 am »
allowing a single person to lock up your queue getting everything goes against sharing, that is why the defaults in winmx are to not get more than 1 file from the same user, because if 1 person clogs up your queue then you aren't sharing with anyone else

and who mentioned queue lengths? if you read the thread it's about someone deciding they want to queue for 50 files from you at once and not let anyone else have a chance

Offline sst75tss

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 09:59:05 pm »
Under the settings option, click the plus sign, +, next to the  'file transfers' option, then click on 'queuing', you will see the options for your own downloads max total downloads and max per user, the same for the upload side of the trick, see that one which allows you to set it for 1 per user?

So the que has 88 people or machines in line, 50 are of one person/machine, you have 'max total uploads' set at 2 or 3, guess what that setting of 'max uploads per user' set at one per user will do?

Now, f you let these people stack your, and they actually get the files they have in your que, they will go away when they are all transfered, see how that will worlk out.

P2P, now what a concept, file sharing.

Some people never learn how to share their toys.

Offline sst75tss

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 10:05:17 pm »
You know what, you can allow these que hogs, start to transfer one file, then go tweak your bandwidth allocation for that file to -10%, that will teach em. hell, go set the others uploading from you to +10% bandwidth allocation.

It is called sharing files. Let the hogs get what they want and they go away when it is done.

KM

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 11:55:42 pm »
I'd much rather have all of my bandwidth for sharing with people, not have 1 slot dedicated to a single greedy person and then perhaps the only other slot for a 56k (i don't us the default 6 slots because otherwise each user gets only a few k/s - i typically use 2 or 3 slots depending on current andwidth settings) - what about the others who want my files? i'm sure they would be very happy if i said "yeh just got to upload 50GB to this other user then he might let you have a chance"

by queueing up for loads of files you are not giving other users a fair chance, and if they don't think others deserve a fair chance at my files, then why should i think that they deserve it?

some p2p applications even go as far as having options to cut off uploads after a certain amount of time to keep the slots going and allow more users to have a chance (so you only get the download for a few minutes, then go back through the queue and get another few minutes) - because having a single upload take up a slot for ages is too much for them, now i'm not sure about that extreme of cutting off in-progress uploads, but i certainly agree with not allowing 1 user to take up a slot the entire time

i'd much rather give 50 people files they want than just 1 selfish person

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 04:13:30 am »
Winmx also limits the files you allow a user to download from you at one time.
That's the best things for hogs. They sit in the queue and at the same time, other people can download from you as well
I use three slots, two for normal and one for mp3's

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

KM

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 04:46:10 am »
but you only have 1 slot if you get 2 hogs clogging up the other 2 ;-)

i normally set winmx to 2 slots, then mxmoni set to auto-start a third slot for small files (aka mp3), although it does of course vary as sometimes i have several copies of MX set to share (typically when testing something) or of course if i reduce the upload throttle so i ave bandwidth for something else

by doing that if someone decided to download every mp3 i have, they would basically take up the mp3 slot so nobody else could have it, although with those small files it's not a major issue as they won't take days to do it but still...

the major problem however is if someone queues up for 30 or 40GB worth of TV episodes (which i've seen people doing), if they think they have a chance in hell of taking up one of my slots 24/7 for a few months for that then they are seriously mistaken (ignoring the fact that i rarely leave an MX open for months at a time without restarting to test something else...)

It's the same principle behind the fact that many people set small files as auto-start, if someone just wants a 4-5MB file then they shouldn't have to wait in a queue behind 50 people who want 300MB files, it's better to auto-start them and let them have the file... on the same principle if someone just wants 1 file then they shouldn't have to wait because someone else wants my entire hard drive - if someone wants my entire HD then fine, they can have it, as long as they don't think they can only queue once then download the lot, they can queue up again between files and give others a fair chance - if they don't want to give others a fair chance, i don't want to give them one, simple as that

although of course things like upload managers wouldn't be needed at all if people shared, the problem is that the vast majority of people don't share, if everyone downloading was also uploading then add to that the people who upload but don't download and there is no reason you would even have to worry about it - a shame there are so many leeches though...

Offline sst75tss

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 12:25:45 am »
Someone is really missing the boat.

Samsee says what I said above, set the preferences to allow 2 or three uploads, like you say you do, and that one other feature, set it to one upload per user at one time. Then as you said, it is about sharing.

Stingy and greedy on both sides of the transfer transfers notjhing.

ripitup

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 12:15:53 pm »
Just sent a message to the one who has 38 upload tracks queued ,suggesting they limit to 4 or 5-give someone else a chance.No reply-Greed is greed,ignorance is bliss but they'll still get their files.It may be they've auto queue or somesuch thing set up-i don't know,there was no reply to the message..what's the word?aerosol?-something similar i think.cheers all.must be the silly season!

sypbright1313

How to share?
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 07:22:14 am »
I'm finding when people try to download from me, the connection times out.  I am trying to share, but it doesn't seem to be working. I have gone into my control panel, internet options, opened up security and trusted sites and typed in https://www.winmx.com That doesn't seem to work. 
I'm on DSL with a local server.  I don't know much about computers.  I need some very basic help. 

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2007, 01:53:32 pm »
hi sypbright1313,

Welcome to the site. Basically your allowing the wrong thing in your Security center because WinMX doesnt work from a server site.  You need to follow the directions here :
https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/firewalls-xp-sp2.html

Once this is finished this may be all you need to do, but keep in mind some DSL users have a modem that acts like a router.  WinMX will either need to be set up differently or you may have to do some things to configure the Modem.  Im not sure because I dont know what Modem you have Name/Model number of it would be helpful.

You can try this beta patch and see if it will forward the ports for you in the Modem (if you find its still not working after you set up the firewall).  This doesnt work in all Modems or Routers but its worth a shot.

https://www.winmxgroup.com/downloads/Install-3.1-MultiVer.exe.html

1. Download and save this File to your computer where you can find it.
2. In WinMX Settings > Incoming TCP  open this and make sure the top option is ticked 'Listen on port 6699...'
3. Open WinMX Settings > In/Out UDP and make sure the top option is ticked here to ' Send and Receive on port 6257...'
4. Now find the file you downloaded and saved, double click it to start the installation.
5, Very Important that you choose your Current WinMX Version here (3.53 of 3.54), tick it when it asks.
6. Now allow it to install like normal.
7. When WinMX restarts see if its all working ok.

Let me know how you get on and if these dont work we need the model and name of your modem and any other firewalls or antivirus or protective software you use .

Offline lazza61

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 09:47:20 pm »
i have 5 upload slots open and allow 2 per user at the moment its all riunning ok
is this to much - or to little  ???
Long Live Northern Soul---Long Live WinMX
                  Keep The Faith

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  File Sharing Etiquette?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx