gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 12:00:10 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  File Sharing Etiquette?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: File Sharing Etiquette?  (Read 52782 times)

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
Re: File Sharing Etiquette?
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2007, 12:33:21 pm »
If you absolutely have no files to start with, you can get some from the wmw room...
Just browse anyone and download a few mp3's.

I will add that usually people are not so rude... just that they tend to class all users with 0 files as leechers... :( which is not always the case.

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline marzi108

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2007, 08:31:31 pm »
I have a great sharing attitude, but since going onto broadband (from dial up) I've noticed no one uploads from me - then a couple of times someone tried and were disconnected (not by me, though!).  Also since going onto broadband I can't have as many songs on my computer without outlook express telling me to free up space or else it won't work.  I was rapt going onto broadband DSL as I chose a plan that would allow me to download without worry, and let people upload to their heart's content, and I don't have a limit on a user uploading only one or two files from me - I'm generous!  Yesterday I was dowloading from someone and they did a "who is" and tried get a song from me, but they were disconnected.  Of course, they disconnected the song I was getting from them - I don't blame them!  Then they put every song on my computer in the queue and each were disconnecting - I am new to all this and am guessing they were both blocking me and trying to annoy me.  I feel like the biggest heel in the world because I WANT to share!  Being not so tech minded, would my firewall be stopping people from getting my files??  If so, what should I do.  If not, what can I do - I'm not a leech!!!!

Offline SDL365

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2007, 04:11:19 am »
Hi SDL365,

Welcome to the site.  Your example is exactly what i find most often with folks that are not sharing.. they simply dont know.  Im glad you posted here as a reminder to be kinder to our fellow file sharers and future sharers.. if you need anything SDL let us know.. we're always glad to have new users..

Sorry about your experience, I hope you'll stick around long enough to find out that most folks are not so 'hostile'.. lol

I decided to stay..after a lengthy (5 seconds) thnkover. I aded some files from some of my CDs; I have over 50 files to share. Hope that helps me and others.

I am currently on dialup; no idea whjen I'll be getting on broadband.

Thanks for the kind words, Me Here :)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2007, 02:31:54 pm »
Hi marzi108

It sounds to me like you may have a DSL modem that has a built in router ability, most do now days.  If this is the case then some configurations will be needed to get your ports set correctly and that should allow the uploads to work.  Here is a general guide to get you started on that:
https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/routers_info.html
Once this is done make sure your firewall is allowing WinMX access.  Yes, it can be the culprit of this.  If your using Windows firewall we have a guide for that also, as it requires specific ports set too to work right.
https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/firewall.html

Once these are done post back to us and let us know how your getting along.

-------------------------

Thanks SDL for posting back and for giving WinMX another shot..  :wink:  Dont be bothered by having dial up right now.. many many users out there still do.. be kind to the 56kers... most of us started off there ourselves..

Offline 50s Boomer

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2007, 10:47:34 pm »
Hi All
I've been using WinMx since i bought my first comp. in 2001. For the most part it's been great except during the patch wars. Since this is about etiquette though i would like to ask people to please not lable albums wraped when they're not. WinMx World has free wrapers in download section if you just look. It's a hassle to download then cut the tracts out. Thanks for letting me get that off my mind.

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2007, 11:07:07 pm »
hi there 50s

your request is a verry good one and i agree!, however i think that most people simply add albw in the titel because they might think that is the way to label a complete cd/album not even thinking about how easy tracks be separated using the true albw maker/extractor
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2007, 05:27:35 am »
Admittingly, until recently I never knew what albw meant... I thought it was just a tag to denote an album until I read that its a couple of mp3s put together lol

Patch link :

Offline marzi108

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2007, 06:03:13 am »
Thank you SO much Me Here.  My router in WinMx settings was the problem, and my firewal was already set to accept winmx as an exception, so I didn't have to change that one.  I'm so happy - now I won't be making people cross, and can't wait for someone to upload from me to see if it's working!  Now my only problem is - I used to be able to have around 300 songs on my worn out little hard drive before I had to make room, now since getting onto DSL I can only have around 50 before space becomes an issue.  Maybe my only option is to get an external drive for all my music and boot it on every time I use WinMx so that everyone can access all my music.  At present, I just burn them and have to delete.  Or would compressing them be a viable option?  You've really been a great help - thanks for the effort you put in for me.  I'm silly - I almost feel like sending a message to anyone who has shared a song with me to say "thanks", and suspecting I've had a problem that wasn't allowing anyone to get my files was making me feel really awful - I even laid in bed not able to sleep one night, I felt so bad!  xxx

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2007, 06:50:11 pm »
Compressing has little/no effect on mp3s which are already condensed.
YOu can sharwe the cd drive and thus put in a cd full od stuff if someone asks for them...

Patch link :

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2007, 02:43:37 pm »
Its a hard situation...

Im thrilled your back up and sharing Marzi :D  I have hard drive space issues myself and I think maybe an external (if a new bigger internal is not an option) is a fine solution.. after all its also a pain when you want to listen  to them easily to have to get the disks..

to 50's..

I could not have said it better.. I hadnt considered the idea of ppl thinking those letters denoted a full album but yer.. i can see that however.. its like the worst thing to download one and then have to hand cut it.. lol

Please folks see if yours are true ALBW and if they are not remove those letters.. lol

Offline 50s Boomer

• Forum Member
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2007, 04:18:48 pm »
I hear you Me Here it sounds like a petty gripe but when you have about 35 - 50 dvd's worth of music you've had to cut over the years it gets to be a job. Thanks

Offline SDL365

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2007, 05:59:09 am »
I've been looking for this one song...found it and when I tried to download it, I kept getting discionnected. I messaged the person and found out he put me on ignore. No idea why...I've got over 50 files and I certainly hope I'm not a leech at this point. Only wish I knew what I did to piss this person off.

Sorry if I seem out of line here.

SDL

KM

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2007, 06:04:28 am »
often that's caused by mxmonitor automatically ignoring you, normally it'll be because of either too few files (up to the user what they consider too few but more than 100 is normally safe) or because of too few uploads running (personally i go by active uploads, if you have 1 file shared and 20 people queued for it you are more of a sharer than someone with their program files directory shared with 3000 files nobody actually wants)

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2007, 10:16:25 pm »
MXM & LeecHammer will both ignore if they can't get a whois as well, if so set, this is not uncommon either
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline SDL365

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2007, 07:39:47 am »
I'm leaving. I give up. Never mind that I have over 150 songs to share. Guess because what i have isn't what some people like that they put me on ignore which makes me feel like crap. Sorry is people aren't uploading from me. Am I supposed to FORCE them to upload?

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2007, 08:34:35 am »
Please calm down, we all know that at least half the population are (by definition) below average intelligence...
Don't let that half of the population spoil everything for you, OK you've been unlucky with that one song
with patience you'll probably encounter another user who has it, who falls in the other half of the distribution...

I do try where possible to encourage MXM & LeecHammer users to set limits which aren't restrictive to new users with small shares, you are the perfect example of why..

In fact my own setup requires a grand total of 2 (yes TWO) files shared & doesn't check running uploads...
the purpose being to only weed out the BLATANT leeches..
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

KM

« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2007, 01:12:02 pm »
it's not possible to tell if a user has no uploads because they are there just to leech, or if it is because they simply don't have anyone currently getting their files... yes innocent users do get caught by anti-leech mechanisms, but it is really unavoidable and the other option is to allow leeches, which would not really be very helpful to a p2p network is leeching was encouraged

Offline marzi108

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2007, 01:21:43 am »
SDL365 - don't leave!  I've had trouble with people trying to upload from me. not knowing my settings were incorrect, and they've been annoyed at me.  BUT, only a minority have been impatient and assumed I was a leech (when I'm far from that) and the majority have been wonderful sharers.  I have been ignored so many times, not knowing why, but kept searching for my particular song and always found a good person who shares w/o suspicion.  There are way more good people in the world than bad, and that includes the WinMx world!!

Offline ninjamynci

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2007, 09:42:27 pm »
I'm leaving. I give up. Never mind that I have over 150 songs to share. Guess because what i have isn't what some people like that they put me on ignore which makes me feel like crap. Sorry is people aren't uploading from me. Am I supposed to FORCE them to upload?

SDL365, don't go. There'll always be some who'll let you download from them. If you ever come across me in your searches, send me a message and you can have a freebie start. I'm always either something with ninjamynci or bluemynci in the username.
Intrigued as to what the song you've been having trouble getting is as well...you never know, it could be nestling in amongst my 15,700 (at the last count) mp3s!!

Offline selluloid

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2007, 02:50:25 am »
Thank you for this useful thread.

I too have been put on ignore a few times and didn't know I wasn't sharing.  At first I thought it was something to do with my router and failure to specify which ports are for WinMx.  Then I finally went back to the tutorials and saw the "how to share" section.  Bingo - I hadn't put my tracks in the library. 

When I first saw the library window and the prompt asking if I wanted to load tracks I thought, "well I don't need that: I already have everything listed in Windows Media Player and itunes, or I can go through it all in Windows Explorer."  I was coming with the wrong idea of what the library is for, based on my experiences with eMule and winmx as it used to be in 2002 (last time I used it!) i.e. when it didn't have this requirement.

So...  Would be good if the WinMx library window were to kick off with a warning box saying "you need to fill this library to be able to share"

Also, under the tutorial on routers, firewalls and port forwarding, how about "STep 1: Add your files to the library otherwise people won't be able to see them" ?

Sorry if this point is in fact clearly made and it's merely a case of me missing it, maybe I skimmed too quickly through the instructions..

My 2 cents, cheers

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Upload/Download Issues  |  File Sharing Etiquette?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx