gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 07:31:16 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Patch or Peer Guardian
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Patch or Peer Guardian  (Read 1764 times)

Offline bazmich

• Forum Member
Patch or Peer Guardian
« on: December 09, 2006, 05:43:37 pm »
Hi, my winMX patch is showing as 'operational'. Is this all I need without 'Peer Guardian? Or should I replace it with 'Peer Guardian'? Or should I have both? I'd appreciate all comments.

KM

Re: Patch or Peer Guardian
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 06:14:52 pm »
http://www.saunalahti.fi/zolord/bluetack/level1.gz

that is the default block list used in peer guardian

go and take a look at it and see just how much it blocks, and the sort of things it blocks (many are mislabeled as anti-p2p when they are not, others are openly listed as having nothing to do with p2p, yet are on the list anyway)

https://www.winmxworld.com/files/block_list.txt

that is the list of every single thing that needs blocking in winmx, which is blocked by the patch

compare them... then decide if you want to block several hundred million potential download sources

btw you'll see many p2p networks themselves on the peer guardian block lists, yes those idiots are so stupid they put actual p2p networks on there claiming them as anti-p2p...

it is strongly recommended that you do not run it, as it blocks millions of p2p users

the patch blocks everything that needs blocking so is required, peer guardian however does not and can not do the same, therefore the 2 options are 1. run the patch which blocks everything, then peer guardian which is doing nothing but blocking legitimate users, or 2. run just the patch and block everything

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 06:16:51 pm »
If your not using any other network then its not necessary to run peer Guardian.

We had previously advised its use but it seems its been turned against file-sharers and now blocks edonkey, bit torrent and of course winmx sites, this is not what is told to its users and for this simple reason we do not support it.
I think its common sense anyway to allow the network techs to monitor the network, something Blutak (the people who make up the list for PG) do not have the tech skills to do.

If you have any more questions please drop us another post,  and have a very merry xmas  Bazmich   :P

bughunter

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 05:35:55 am »
there is absolutely no reason to ever run pg2 period.............
as rightly pointed out bluetac who by the way dont actually compile any block list by finding riaa and adding there ips, they make use of other blocklists compiled by ppl who can actually find riaa..............those at bluetac have no technical skills at all and clearly are nothing more then riaa supporters.....................
why else would they add p2p networks to there list and claim they are anti p2p, only riaa would do that.................
there fore pg2 is only a tool of riaa actively blocking p2p networks and legitame users......................ask your self this question.................do riaa really have in excess of 87 million ips..........................

bazmich987

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 07:51:55 pm »
Thanks for your answers. When I received answers I deleted PG2 which I had run for a couple of hours. I ran it with the 'Patch' which did not show up while running PG2, it now does. Have I compromised my system to anyone or anything?

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 10:02:37 pm »
only blocked lots of ip addresses needlessly
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 04:14:49 am »
Thanks for your answers. When I received answers I deleted PG2 which I had run for a couple of hours. I ran it with the 'Patch' which did not show up while running PG2, it now does. Have I compromised my system to anyone or anything?

Since you have installed the wmw patch, there is no need for Peer Guardian.
NO, you have NOT compramised your system to anyone

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  Patch or Peer Guardian

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx