gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76793 Posts in 13502 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 October 14, 2024, 04:23:17 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Router drops 50 percent time when hosting
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Router drops 50 percent time when hosting  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Snick512

• Forum Member
Router drops 50 percent time when hosting
« on: February 21, 2007, 04:29:10 pm »
i used to have a direct connection to the net with my modem (cable)
then for xmas got a router cuz other ppl in the house got computers.

I configed the router, setup wireless, security, yadi yadi.

it's a linksys

When i'm not hosting any WinMx things, it runs just fine. I host my f.e.a.r. server, apache, sql, and ftp... all that, and nothing happens. But as soon as i run FX, 20 minutes later it drops. I tested on WCS, it drops.

The only successful server i've had with hosting right now is OUka. But even that, 1 day later it dropped.

Any suggestions to fixing? Or something?

KM

Re: Router drops 50 percent time when hosting
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 07:19:39 pm »
setting up the wifi "pretend it's security" just uses more of the routers limited RAM up making it slightly worse btw ;-)

if it's a WRT series then there is a known issue with large numbers of connections, however it's not normally bad enough to have a problem with programs like winmx - mostly with bittorrent etc

if it is that issue then the only fix is third party firmware (or throwing the router out)... if it's a WRT54G v5 then you're pretty screwed there as that model was deliberately downgraded to block third party firmware (although some have reported getting a majorly reduced version of DD-WRT to function on it)

Offline Snick512

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 07:32:47 pm »
it's a v6.

And it works with Torrents, Very well actually.

And by fixing 3rd party software, what do you mean?

Offline Snick512

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 07:33:57 pm »
it's a v6.

And it works with Torrents, Very well actually.

And by fixing 3rd party software, what do you mean?

I meant 3rd party firmware*     

wheres the edit button on this?!

KM

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 05:04:43 am »
wheres the edit button on this?!
disabled after we had someone keep going back and editing their previous post in to a reply instead of replying... lol

third party firmware is more reliable than the firmware linksys give you - as well as having some extra features of course, don't forget linksys = cisco = they give you a £30 router that can do too much, who will buy their £20,000 one with the same CPU in, just different firmware and a switch with a few more ports? (plus a little more RAM, but that's only for routing tables etc)

the v5 and v6 are ones where they basically switched from linux to vxworks and reduced the RAM and flash ROM size, to prevent people running linux on it - to stop people adding all these advanced features

linux is more generic, and therefore requires more RAM/Storage space than vxworks, which is specifically made for the role... so the idea of reducing the flash memory to 2MB would prevent linux running on it

of course there are lots of people who were unhappy about the change (which forced them to re-release the v4 as a "more expensive" WRT54GL), and went about getting a useful linux system down to 2MB... they did it, lol

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/106177-how-do-i-install-linux-my.html

it's a very long winded process (as it basically has to use the firmware to overwrite itself, while it is running...) but supposedly works fine

btw if you manage to brick the router doing it, send it to me so i can fix it and keep it as a free router, and of course tell you how i couldn't fix it so threw it away ;-)

Offline Snick512

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 02:48:26 pm »
i like that setup. thank you

i will try it soon as possible and let u know results

and if i 'do' brick my router, ... yeah i'll brick it alright after that

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 08:17:01 pm »
RVD, ive moved your question to here for better service..

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=4302.msg26018#msg26018

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  Router drops 50 percent time when hosting

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.008 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx