gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 06:29:03 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Video and Audio Help  |  Audio Help  |  Archives converted to mp3's?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Archives converted to mp3's?  (Read 4026 times)

Nespatol

Archives converted to mp3's?
« on: February 26, 2007, 02:10:57 am »
To anyone who downloads music from WinMX, you've probably seen a lot of albums and singles with file names ending in .rar.mp3 or .zip.mp3. Does anyone know how this is done?

KM

Re: Archives converted to mp3's?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 05:56:24 am »
what do you mean?

typically those are zip or rar files, they have just had .mp3 added to the end of the filename to make them appear in an mp3 search (normally people looking for music search for mp3, not for zip/rar)

Nespatol

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 11:42:03 am »
The thing is I can play those as mp3 files or I can remove the mp3 and have the archive, but if I try to add mp3 to the end of my archives, I can'r play them at all. I don't understand why that is

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 02:14:27 pm »
Nespatol

Players will not play .rar or .zip files.  Renaming it tricks the system into thinking its an audio file but it wont actually play the contents of the archive.  If you get files that are named that the best thing to do is remove the .mp3 from the .rar.mp3 part. and Unzip or Unrar them.  If you want to share your own files this way its easy to Zip or Rar them up, then rename them.. and then add them to shares.. but they still wont play in this format.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 03:57:11 pm »
Suppose your file is abc.zip.mp3
Go to control panel>folder options
Click on the view tab. Uncheck the "hide extentions of known file types" option.
Click on apply and say ok.

Now to to the file and you will see the name as abc.zip.mp3
Now carefully remove the .mp3
(I say carefully as in some cases, not giving properextenstions can permenantly corrupt the file. But usually, this this case, that is not a problem)
The icon of the file will now change to the usual "winzip" icon. Now unzip the file and play it. (the file will now be abc.zip)
Same thing for rar.mp3

Now go to folder optins and reenable that option else, renaming files will become a pain...

Usually people do this thing to compress the file a bit. It does shave off a few mb. But not actually useful. As a normal user, you (for that matter, most of us) will never think of searching for a compressed file. So people compress the file and add a .mp3 at the end, to fool winmx into showing it as an audio file, so that it appears in searches for audio files.

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Video and Audio Help  |  Audio Help  |  Archives converted to mp3's?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx