gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 19, 2024, 05:19:57 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  server migration tool
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: server migration tool  (Read 1907 times)

Offline sIrMoOn

• Forum Member
server migration tool
« on: May 19, 2007, 04:03:52 pm »
As complicated as mx chatservers tend to be nowadays, I am continually struck by the difficulty in moving a room from one to another - new commands, new config formats, new levels, etc.  I've been thinking of building a "server migration tool" to make it easier to try different servers without having to start from scratch.  But, does anyone else feel such a thing would be useful to them?

Offline Victim

• Forum Member
    • Winmx 4 Eva
Re: server migration tool
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 04:10:31 pm »
Yes.. I think i would use your program (if you made it). Being as moving rooms is alot of hassel. Well it is for me anyway.

Suppose we could do with a new program for winmx anyway. Thanks.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 05:37:42 pm »
I'm not being a pessimist or something just that
I'd suppose it'd be good... but such a program has full potential for screwups and stuff eg  : messing up on access levels.
Another thing is you'd have to more or less update whenever a new version of a server is released.

But I must say that this will do most of the work of shifting leaving few things to be done by hand .... Seems like a great idea overall 8)

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

KM

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 06:23:44 pm »
I think the various servers are generally different enough that you couldn't really do much automatically, as you need to set things up differently anyway you'd basically end up merely making a setup wizard for each server type, just that happens to read a few minimal details like channel name from a config file, with the majority having to be entered manually anyway

it would probably be more worthwhile to spend the time simply making a config editor for each server

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Servers  |  server migration tool

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx