gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 16, 2024, 08:01:03 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  WinMX Hosts File Instructions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WinMX Hosts File Instructions  (Read 5904 times)

Offline Delta Epsilon Zion

• Forum Member
WinMX Hosts File Instructions
« on: July 02, 2007, 11:57:38 am »
Well, I know there's been a lot of confusion with the recent hosts file fixes, so I'm writing up instructions on how to download and install the hosts file, and hopefully get your WinMX connected again.  If you've any questions, feel free to post, and I'll try my hardest to answer them, I'm sure if I can't, some other helpful person will,  :D

First things first, you'll need to download the updated hosts file, here: https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4984.0;attach=1724

From there, you need to open the patch.  It's been compressed into a .rar format, so you'll need to download WinRar, or similar .rar extractor.  WinRar can be obtained from http://www.rarlabs.com/

Thirdly, open windows explorer, or My computer, whichever you prefer, and navigate your way to C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc
Alternativly, you can go to your start menu, select run (Windows Key + R for Vista users) and enter that address in.

Now, You'll need to close the WinMX program down, so we can install the file.

Open the file in your extractor of choice, and then either extract to the location above, or click and drag it across.  (IMPORTANT!! It is STRONGLY recommended you create a backup of the original hosts file first, in case anything goes wrong.  You can do this by right-clicking on the original, selecting copy, then right-clicking an empty space in the folder, and selecting paste.  This should automatically create a copy of the file.  If it doesn't, try renaming the original file, (select it, press F2, and rename it to hosts-backup, or whatever you wish) then try to paste again.)

After this is done, simply restart WinMX, and you should be connected in no time.

Hope this works all!

Offline bughunter

• Forum Member
Re: WinMX Hosts File Instructions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 12:25:58 pm »
excellant post delta  thank you for your efforts

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 02:01:31 pm »
Okay, updated .exe installer now, Thanks to the WinMXWorld team for all their hard work!

http://24.111.100.169:3258/hosts_file.zip

Just download, and run the included .exe file to patch your mx to connect.

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 02:04:10 pm »

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 06:46:55 pm »
Thanks for the post lol
Should be helpful to many

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline bigred

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 07:59:09 pm »
Well, I know there's been a lot of confusion with the recent hosts file fixes, so I'm writing up instructions on how to download and install the hosts file, and hopefully get your WinMX connected again.  If you've any questions, feel free to post, and I'll try my hardest to answer them, I'm sure if I can't, some other helpful person will,  :D

First things first, you'll need to download the updated hosts file, here: https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4984.0;attach=1724

From there, you need to open the patch.  It's been compressed into a .rar format, so you'll need to download WinRar, or similar .rar extractor.  WinRar can be obtained from http://www.rarlabs.com/

Thirdly, open windows explorer, or My computer, whichever you prefer, and navigate your way to C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\etc
Alternativly, you can go to your start menu, select run (Windows Key + R for Vista users) and enter that address in.

Now, You'll need to close the WinMX program down, so we can install the file.

Open the file in your extractor of choice, and then either extract to the location above, or click and drag it across.  (IMPORTANT!! It is STRONGLY recommended you create a backup of the original hosts file first, in case anything goes wrong.  You can do this by right-clicking on the original, selecting copy, then right-clicking an empty space in the folder, and selecting paste.  This should automatically create a copy of the file.  If it doesn't, try renaming the original file, (select it, press F2, and rename it to hosts-backup, or whatever you wish) then try to paste again.)

After this is done, simply restart WinMX, and you should be connected in no time.

Hope this works all!

Dude, I'm no computer expert so work with me.  After opening the host file using the extractor where exactly am I extracting or dragging it to?  Sorry for the stupidity, but I'm losing it! Thanks.

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 08:03:21 pm »
Dude, I'm no computer expert so work with me.  After opening the host file using the extractor where exactly am I extracting or dragging it to?  Sorry for the stupidity, but I'm losing it! Thanks.

You can extract it to wherever on your computer you want, I find a new folder on the desktop is simpler then burying it somewhere however.
Then you simply drag the hosts file out of that folder into the C:\Windwos\System32\Drivers\Etc folder, and you should have no troubles connecting.

Offline bigred

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 08:32:17 pm »
Thanks for helping me out and being patient.  IT WORKS BABY!  If I could get it working...believe me, anyone can.

dazco

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 10:20:06 pm »
Any chance we could have 1 availible host file and as new ones emerge links to old ones removed as its causing confusion as to which to be using plz  thnx

Offline byinbyan

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 11:51:18 pm »
Says I am not allowed to access this page.....  Can't connect.....  What the deuce is going on?  Is WinMX defeated?

Offline bughunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 02:03:07 am »

Offline Scyre

• Forum Member
  • <Insert nothing here.>
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 04:47:00 am »
A cat will almost always blink when hit with a hammer.

Offline Victim

• Forum Member
    • Winmx 4 Eva
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 04:54:06 pm »
Yep, there is a new patch released, so for anyone still having connection issues. Please download the new patch.

The new patch can be located at: https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/connection.html

Or can be downloaded from here:

Setup for 95/98/ME
Setup for NT/2000
Setup for XP/Vista

Thanks for keeping WinMX alive!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  WinMX Hosts File Instructions

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.009 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx