gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 27, 2024, 02:14:03 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  PlusMX - is it good?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: PlusMX - is it good?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
PlusMX - is it good?
« on: July 22, 2007, 05:19:53 pm »
I'm not sure in which board to post this, so a mod can move it if necessary.

I want to run two WinMX's at the same time, with different kinds of files. This is because my file list in now so huge that anyone Browsing me has to wait a long time for it to load, so I would like to spread the categories around.

So, I have downloaded a program called PlusMX, which I've read is supposed to do the job. Can anyone tell me what they think of this program, or if there are any other programs that will do the same job? Also, is there any downside to running two MX progs?

Micromecca

Re: PlusMX - is it good?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 05:29:12 pm »
I've had little experience with plus mx, but I do know it allows you to achieve what you are trying to do, the only downside I can think of is that your bandwidth would obviously be shared by the 2 instances of WinMx and therefore halfed  :D

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 05:40:03 pm »
I used plusmx last year,just to check it out.It worked fine for me.... had uploads on both winmx's... plusmx uses version 3.53  and up to 10 instances of mx can be run.If your on a router you'd have to open another set of ports for any additional winmx's.

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 09:39:16 pm »
PlusMX is fine to use, especially for what your describing Trestor.

Your asking I'm assuming you've heard or know that QuickMX was bad for ppl to use and it worked differently.  I dont have alot of experience with this program of Emulator's however I do know its gotten the stamp of approval from those in the know..

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 11:19:35 pm »
you *can* also achieve what you're after using fast user switching & setting up a second winmx in a second program folder & running it in the second account.. though it's a horrible waste of resources compared to plusmx.. but you *would* be able to use 3.54 that way
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 02:22:20 am »
hi there,

plus mx has some downsides:

- you never know how many and wich ones will connect or crash trying to start up (it used to make me restart lots of times before i got exactly what i wanted, best way for me was ... want 4? ask for 8! and pray you get the ones you really want  :wink:)
- make sure only one does the downloading or at least have them searching for their own incompletes (else you ll end up have  something like eminem(1).mp3 and eminem.mp3 ... 2files ..1 song! downloaded by 2 different mx in one go!)
- having them all set to primary is obviously asking to crash ( i used 1 on primary in the past and the rest on sec)
- just one mx moni to monitor just one mx

on the positive side:

- it does actually do what you want
- it can be run with 3.54 (just replace the 3.53 with 3.54 before letting it set up shop)

hope this helped alittle :wink:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 02:29:36 am »
i forgot to mention:

the  other way of doing this was  a more stable on startups

this one allows you to run 4 mx3.31 ...good thing about this was you are allowed to handstart them one b one ..so you know exactly what you ll get

i think this version must be iin the archieves on here

cheers.. joshua203
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 02:34:34 am »
oopz ... last post was about ....multimx

oooow  how i miss an edit button on WMW  :P

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 12:59:42 pm »
Thanks for the helpful replies, folks.  There would be no risk of doubling up on uploads from me, as I would have my files in separate folders, e.g., spoken word in one WinMX, and comedy and nostalgia in the other WinMX. I would also allow only one upload per user per MX, and only two users per MX, making a maximum possible of four files being uploaded from me at any one time.

I'm still in two minds about doing this; I don't know how badly it may use up my resources, and anyone Browsing me at present can see my whole collection and maybe see some other file they hadn't thought of getting before. If I run two MX progs then people won't see everything that I have to offer. I'm on WinMX mostly to share; there's not much that I want that is available from others (what I want is rare) but I hope to share my stuff around (what I share is rare, too).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your help.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 06:15:43 pm »
You will face one problem :)

The user at the other end will be able to see only a select portion of your collection

But sorting them into categories will help as you say...
best make a message  informing that you do have even more files to offer if they want them...

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 10:39:19 pm »
would need to add to the message to search for trestor 2 (or a specificly named unusual filename)to locate then add a text docu called trestor 2 (or specific file name)in his second winmx to enable ppl to locate the second set and browse the files otherwise no one will find them.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Other WinMX Help  |  PlusMX - is it good?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 25 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx