gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 10:38:25 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX on current Windows Versions  |  WINMX SLOWING VISTA DOWN TO SNAILS PACE
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WINMX SLOWING VISTA DOWN TO SNAILS PACE  (Read 3856 times)

e160877

WINMX SLOWING VISTA DOWN TO SNAILS PACE
« on: August 01, 2007, 04:33:33 am »
When I run Winmx, Vista slows down to a snails pace and once you click on something, it can take 20 seconds for that program to come up.  Winmx connects but it will be extremely slow to show anything, to the point where it's unbearable.  For example, you will see it's been connected for 1min and then the timer will stop, then the next time you see the timer go it will be 1min 25 secs then it will go for a few more seconds and freeze again.

Details:

Vista Home Premium (clean install)
Counterspy
Zonealarm
NOD32

I have tried stopping counterspy and zonealarm, have tried different versions and patches for Winmx to no avail.  This is driving me crazy!!

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
Re: WINMX SLOWING VISTA DOWN TO SNAILS PACE
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 05:03:40 am »
Are you running WinMX as a Primary? If so,have you tried Secondary?   

Also you mention you've tried different versions and patches.If you are
on Primary you should make sure your running the latest patch from

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/connection.html

Offline e160877

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 05:05:02 am »
I should have mentioned that I have it running as a secondary as I only have dial-up.  It used to work perfectly on WinXP, but not now......

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:57:23 am »
ZoneAlarm is known to cause issues with winmx on some systems.. try with it uninstalled (vista's native firewall is perfectly adequate in any case)
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 10:24:07 am »
Another thing you may wish to try is changing the compatibility of winmx.exe in your WinMX folder to Windows XP compatibility byright clicking the winmx.exe and clicking properties. If it isn't changed to that already, the slowing could be Vista trying to deal with the exe and the dll file in a way that WinMX doens't know it's supposed to dealt with. If it's available do a properties on OLEDLG.dll also and check compatibility on that. I only got to run Vista for a day or so on a dual boot setup to see how well Vista would do before unfortunately it had screwed with my XP install making it troublesome, but when I installed WinMX on the Vista system I also set the compatibility of the installer to Windows XP and it installed fine and connected fine. Only issue I seemed to have would be just dropping connection.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline e160877

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 10:57:29 pm »
I've tried running it under different compatibilities with no luck, but I didn't try it on the .DLL file.  Will try this, along with uninstalling Zonealarm, and let you know how I go.  Stay tuned for updates.........

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 11:25:24 pm »
no need to uninstall it to see just turn it off then try winmx

Offline e160877

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 11:43:41 pm »
Already tried just turning off, so I uninstalled it, then tried different compatibility modes and still no luck.  Beginning to think it's a lost cause.  Goes normal speed when installing but when it gets to the connection stage, and even after connection, the whole system just trawls along.  I checked in task manager and it appears to use anywhere between 15 - 20 Mb or resources.  Is that correct?  Doesn't seem right for such a small program.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 05:51:23 am »
If you are on primary, then I think that is normal, Try a secondary connection and see if it helps....

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 06:28:17 pm »
if your whole system is slowing try looking in task manager if some app is using tonns of cpu & which one

Offline e160877

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 09:07:52 pm »
Obviously people aren't reading my previous posts.

1.  I'm using Secondary, not primary

2.  Yes there is an app using lots of CPU, it's called Winmx.  It's using between 15 - 20 mb

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 09:55:09 pm »
obviously you aren't reading the replies carefully  either CPU usage would be expressed in % of CPU time MB is memory usage & the amount quoted wouldn't be unusual, or a problem on any modern system...

sometimes security software will go nuts with p2p software running, hence me asking you to look for processes with high CPU usage (not memory)..

also being dialup it may be worth you visiting the bandwidth script page, things going too fast can saturate the limited connection & slow ie in particular way down... dialup users are some of the few where throttling incoming as well as outgoing bandwidth can help, in both cases around 80% of available should do

Offline e160877

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 10:33:34 pm »
Thanks, I've found the culprit.  I disabled the active protection part of Counterspy which seems to have done the trick.  Winmx was making the Scan Service part of this program go nuts.  Thanks for the help, it was the CPU monitor that gave it away.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX on current Windows Versions  |  WINMX SLOWING VISTA DOWN TO SNAILS PACE

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx