gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 10:02:58 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World  |  Site Feedback  |  Contact Details
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Contact Details  (Read 3507 times)

Offline JohnMc

• Forum Member
Contact Details
« on: September 17, 2007, 01:47:33 am »
Good Evening,

I work for a large copyright enforcement company in canada. I have recently heard about you operating a list that blocks users from connecting to the winmx network, we have found many people using winmx for unlawful copyright infringement and would like to know the address to send these users details to so that you can block them from continuing their unlawful activities. If possible I would also like to discuss the possibility of an automated system to assist in mass blocking of detected infringers, however for the time being manual submission of the worst offenders would be a great step forward.

In the spirit of cooperation I shall also pass this information on to my contacts in several other cooperating enforcement companies so that we may work together with you to effectively combat the problem of internet piracy, with your permission of course.

Thank you for your assistance,
John McHarg

Offline Mick832

• MX Hosts
Re: Contact Details
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 03:07:51 am »
I got a bit confused John.   At first you seem to be asking for somewhere for YOU to send user details so the good people here can block them, where you say "would like to know the address to send these users details to so that you can block them."

Then you say "In the spirit of cooperation I shall also pass this information on to my contacts in several other cooperating enforcement companies so that we may work together with you to effectively combat the problem of internet piracy, with your permission of course."   Why do you need the permission of anybody here to pass on a list YOU say you have.

I am also concerned that If I am on such a list that I may be blocked from using WinMX, when all I use it for is the chat feature and to share photos of my family with my many internet friends.   Neither of these activities breach any copyright laws.

Offline Mick832

• MX Hosts
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 03:11:48 am »
Oh by the way John.   If you work for such a large company, ask them to enrol you in a English and grammar course.

I believe that Canada needs a capital C.

"to the winmx network, we have found many".   Try a full stop after network and a W on we.

Also I would love to know all about your company.   What is its full name,, address and phone numbers, preferably with a direct extension to you.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 04:08:14 am »
Good evening John, I took the liberty of checking your IP as you would expect and was suprised to find it resolves not to Canada but to the US, Arizona to be exact, this of course is easily explainable but highly suspicious from my point of view, but regardless I,m more than willing to explain why its not possible for us to help you.

Our position on adding or removing IP,s from our blocklist is a simple one, we operate our list voluntarily and on behalf of winmx users to block those commercial entities that operate a network disruption service to various rights holding groups, we dont believe it is legal or fair to allow these commercial entities to disrupt a p2p network in the name of copyright protection in a scattergun fashion as they do.

No IP,s addresses on our current list are those of individual users and I,m sure you are more than aware that the current trend for consumers to use DSL technology to access the internet means there are in fact rather limited fixed IPs for us to block with any certainty even if we where 100% certain of the individual users identity, as you may not be aware users network identities are dynamically allocated at each session.

Thus we have no means of checking either the identity of a user nor any specific files held by any individual user of winmx nor of operating a block based on content as the winmx protocol does not offer these functions to us nor yourself in turn, in short its technically impossible to block any normal user from the network, and even if it was possible we would like most responsible people be expecting the rights holders to take the appropriate action when they claim copyright infringement and take legal action against those using the network for infringement rather that ask ourselves to do something thats not within the realms of possiblity.

Please read this tutorial as it explains our actions completely.

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/fake_file_info.html

If you have any further questions please feel free to post them here as we are a users collective that has no leader as such, I am however the voice for the site and as such will be able to answer most of your queries.

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 04:16:27 am »
LMAO try using the user profiles JohnMc  that will give you a start in your mighty quest .... just for a leg up though uk here south east /kent (the lil bit next to france)

Offline JohnMc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 02:48:32 pm »
Ghostship, I have seen posts on here by yourself stating that you have the capability to block users that you do not want on the network, this of course leads to the obvious conclusion that you have the ability to block any users you wish. These posts were in fact the reason for my posting here to request contact details as previously you ave claimed to not have such capability. As a network operator you would of course be legally liable and stand as a co-defendant in any infringement cases your infrastructure assisted in that you were aware of and able to prevent, but failed to do so.

I don't wish for you to take that in the wrong way, I am merely making sure you are aware of your legal position of operating servers that can be used to facilitate unlawful activities with the capability to decide if those activities take place or not.

I would rather not identify my employer on a public forum for various reasons (I am also posting under an alias that we use for such tasks) which I'm sure you can understand, I was barely able to get permission from my manager to make this semi-anonymous public request for information.

Regarding the issue of the location I appear to be connecting from, I am not one of the technical team so I do not know how it all works however I believe we use some system on our network here that hides our location, as this helps us in our enforcement activities against users who actively try to block us from protecting our clients rights. This is standard practice in our industry as far as I am aware.

Ghostship, would you be the correct person to send infringement notices to? and if so what is the best way to pass those on to you? or if not then who is the best person to contact?

Offline Mizz

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 03:32:53 pm »
* Mizz smells a rat :P
If God, in his infinite Wisdom, made me an Atheist...then who are you to Question him ?

Offline ']['affy

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 03:42:34 pm »
smells like crap to me

Offline Mizz

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 03:51:36 pm »
* Mizz smells a KM who is in need of yet another bit of attention...

ComeON KM if your going to do sommat then atleast do it RIGHT....

81.169.183.122       KM        Re: A tip and a question      September 23, 2006, 04:28:23 am

how dence are you !
If God, in his infinite Wisdom, made me an Atheist...then who are you to Question him ?

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 05:05:48 pm »
I did suspect that this was KM already but I hope you all agree its best I replied the way I did in case it was a genuine overture from the cartel lackies.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 05:44:00 pm »
Damn, he must be really bored now, perhaps he could spend some time doing something more constructive, like writing to snip? ;)

Offline bu44er

• Forum Member
  • Hack The Planet
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 07:19:23 pm »
KM i mean JohnMc you should know that WinMx World have the facilities to log IP addresses of people who post on the forum, but then i give you 0/10 for tying maybe you should try a proxy or next time don't even bother. If this is what you are going to do for attention then why not just ask people for one more chance that way people would not mind half as much.

LMFAO
System(s) Configuration
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo T4500 CPU @ 2.3Ghz, 2048MB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit

Offline chuck

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 02:01:53 am »
mr JohnMc in responce to your question as to who to send any notices to would be KingMacro as all programs being used to do any blocking are his property and are under his terms. They can be found here http://www.kingmacro.net/terms/

As you can see noone includeing ourselves can Modify any of the Source Codes and compile them such that they may cause any problems or be an anoyance to anybody (an anoyance isn't what you find anoying, its what someone else finds anoying)

Im sure you can derect any emails to  KingMacro@ KingMacro.net you may find some of his other software helpfull as well he is a clever chap and im sure will help you in any way.
Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Offline Scyre

• Forum Member
  • <Insert nothing here.>
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 05:45:06 pm »
To anyone (KM, JohnMcFake, or other):

Before ever considering to make such a request to any of our users, I hope you understand that a CLEARLY explained documentation (of precisely how supposed offenders are identified and PROVEN to be in some sort of violation) would be required to be submitted to this site, all of it's moderators, every other affiliated site, and their moderators, as well as petitioning the government of each moderator's residence, and sent back signed with governmental approval from the appropriate branch, posted in the local newspapers of each moderator mentioned, and broadcast on all of the local media outlets of each user, so that we can then tell you again that it is not technically possible to do your job for you.

Hope this helps! :P

Best Regards, and Be Good!
Scyre
A cat will almost always blink when hit with a hammer.

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 07:20:01 pm »
To anyone (KM, JohnMcFake, or other):

Before ever considering to make such a request to any of our users, I hope you understand that a CLEARLY explained documentation (of precisely how supposed offenders are identified and PROVEN to be in some sort of violation) would be required to be submitted to this site, all of it's moderators, every other affiliated site, and their moderators, as well as petitioning the government of each moderator's residence, and sent back signed with governmental approval from the appropriate branch, posted in the local newspapers of each moderator mentioned, and broadcast on all of the local media outlets of each user, so that we can then tell you again that it is not technically possible to do your job for you.

Hope this helps! :P

Best Regards, and Be Good!
Scyre

lol, you coulda just told him to go jump!

Offline Zénar

• Forum Member
  • Born again christian since 2010!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 01:57:46 pm »
Well... maybe km is using the same proxy server than then people of "copyright enforcement company"...

It's a good coinsidense right?  :P
[John 14:6] Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me."
[Jean 14:6] Jésus lui dit: Je suis le chemin, la vérité, et la vie. Nul ne vient au Père que par moi.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World  |  Site Feedback  |  Contact Details

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx