gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 26, 2024, 08:10:35 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  The Jammie Thomas Case: Does this stop you from downloading?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The Jammie Thomas Case: Does this stop you from downloading?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline LiamPiam517

• Forum Member
The Jammie Thomas Case: Does this stop you from downloading?
« on: October 06, 2007, 11:22:40 pm »
Hi,

I notice in these cases that thankfully winmx is never mentioned. But, this woman was found guilty and has to pay the RIAA $200,000--around $9,000 a song.

I don't have the best computer. I rarely run the PGuardian program. I just open up winmx and go. (Usually on a secondary network).

The last thing any of us needs is a lawsuit from the RIAA.

I haven't downloaded in awhile.  I don't even know if the RIAA looks at your past activities, and it's usually the people with thousands of songs that get targeted.

Does everyone here still download on winmx? And if so, what do you personally do
to make sure your activities are not traced back to you?

Thanks. :)

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
Re: The Jammie Thomas Case: Does this stop you from downloading?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 12:39:49 am »
As far as i am aware no one as yet has been prosecuted by the riaa from winmx.(i could be wrong & thats not to say it wont be a possibility in the near future)
As for the state of your  pc or what you run on it would be irrelevant if a case was bought against you.. it is also irrelevant the amount of downloads you have made .... if you have downloaded or even shared (as the case you was referring to said)   material that is copywrited then as far as they are concerned then you would be guilty.
Its no different than if you had killed one person or ten you would still be guilty of murder.
If a case against you was bought then for sure they would know your past activities by checking your hard drive as traces are always left behind in one form or another.
yes plenty of people still download on winmx .....what they are downloading & uploading is not for me to speculate as to but im sure its all legaly shared files  :wink:

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 04:41:05 am »
i rarely download from the MX anymore cos... well... ive had a 2gb pile of  '__INCOMPLETE__ ' sitting around since the 2005 shutdown... (i may be holding on to hope a bit long)

as far as protecing myself... well... there havent been any lawsuits (that i know of) against winmx users... so... i just use it the same as i always had...

now as far as my serious downloading goes i prefer downloading from sources that have nothing to do with the RIAA (or vice versa) and the act of downloading is completely legal... examples include places like;
http://www.modarchive.com (oldschool but still cool)
http://www.jamendo.com (creative commons music --- note: the BT tracker is down right now but they are working on it)
ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/music/ (there is more here than you can shake a stick at... and yep... its legal)

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 07:23:45 am »
lol ever thought of loading them and searching for simiar silver (long shot i know)     :)

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 08:03:05 am »
*similar

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 08:39:13 am »
even before 2k5 it was near impossible to find a mod (.mod, .xm, .it, .s3m. -- etc).... (i found all of 6 .xm files and one .s3m)

as for the other two i just opened the MX and searched for one of the more popular groups on jamendo and some of the popular songs from ftp.scene.org and as you might have guessed.... nothing...

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 02:41:39 pm »
Links on the story...

http://timworstall.typepad.com/timworstall/2007/10/jammie-thomas.html

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article2592637.ece

quotes
The companies accused her of offering the songs online through a Kazaa file-sharing account.

During the three-day trial, she denied having a Kazaa account but the 12-strong jury agreed unanimously that she had shared the files using the name “tereastarr".

Their witnesses, including officials from an Internet provider and a security firm, testified that the Internet address used by “tereastarr" belonged to Ms Thomas.

The verdict against Jammie Thomas of Brainerd, Minn., brought an end to the first jury trial in the music industry’s protracted effort to rein in piracy with lawsuits against individual computer users. Since 2003, record labels have brought legal action against about 30,000 people, accusing them of trafficking in copyrighted songs.

Not exactly useful I must say....

I'm interested in the evidence, cause I believe no ISP can provide evidence like that unless it wants to break privacy laws.
I'm not sure as to the reason why she got nailed while so many others went scott free

And as for your question
No it does not scare me :lol:

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline LiamPiam517

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 03:13:51 pm »
Miss Thomas might appeal. I hope she does. This case is ridiculous. I have digital cable--there is an option on the system that asks me if I want to transfer the program to a VCR tape...would that mean I'm stealing? Someone on one of the many message boards on this topic had a good point, they remembered making and trading cassettes and VHS movies and no one cared. Now all of a sudden it's a problem?

Silver Stripes thanks for the links! I'll check them out. :)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 02:34:43 pm »
Interesting reading and ironic that its Sony in many cases doing the sueing now isnt it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Corp._of_America_v._Universal_City_Studios,_Inc.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 10:53:30 am »
sorta related and sorta unrelated;

good news: above i said that jamendos bittorrent tracker was offline but now its working fine... yay!

Offline itsbry

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 02:35:45 pm »
Does everyone here still download on winmx? And if so, what do you personally do
to make sure your activities are not traced back to you?

Yes, I still use WinMX up and down... I am really just depending on the ISP not to turn over my personal information that is tied to my IP address.

On that note, is there a place where one could read up on the different ISP's privacy policies?
Also, if someone could be proven to have committed a crime, would a warrant be sufficient to get the aforementioned presonal information?

Primary User
Win XP Pro SP2
Comcast Cable Modem
WinMX v3.54 beta
MX Monitor

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 11:04:29 pm »
As long as a crime has taken place its an offence not to hand over evidence upon request, a warrant is the last stage of that process and only demanded in a few cases, most ISP,s will hand over your info quick as a flash to the police.

Filesharing is of course not a criminal offence and so we can all rest comfortably in our beds knowing we are safe, and dreaming that the police are after closing down all the bordering-criminal tax loopholes the cartels use to operate their global monopoly and avoid paying tax revenues (that is a crime)  :wink:

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  The Jammie Thomas Case: Does this stop you from downloading?

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx