gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever May 10, 2024, 08:03:55 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  creepy...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: creepy...  (Read 3849 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
creepy...
« on: October 11, 2007, 03:29:40 am »
http://www.xs-sniper.com/nmcfeters/IE7-Local-Software-Enum.html

uses the IE specific res:// URL to sniff at what software is on your system.... doesnt matter what your IE security settings are and works in IE6 as well as 7.... yet another security hole that MS has yet to plug...

ready to switch to firefox or opera now? *pokes ghostship*

Offline Mick832

• MX Hosts
Re: creepy...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 04:08:45 am »
The Following Software was Discovered on your Computer:

MSN Messenger
Microsoft Movie Maker

Should I panic?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 04:18:08 am »
think of it this way... imagine a RIAA run website that detects winmx bitorrent etc.... might not sound alarming cos they dont know what you are doing with it but like every good cartel they might not be past making it up... (or logging your IP for future reference)

Offline bughunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 05:08:28 am »
im constantly amused at those that claim IE is vunerable, its no more vunerable then any other browser , and despite that sites claims regardless of IEs settings they can scan you for applications...........absolute rubbish and here is the jpg to prove they scanned and got zero, why because i have IE set up correctly even thou im running the same software as a previous poster.........
firefox is a great browser as is opera i use them but they are no better or worse then IE........
people should really learn how to set things up properly.........
as they say a pic says a thousand words and this picture shows like so many before them there full of it.......just useing scare mongering to get people to use other software that they have no reason too............end of story.....................

Offline bughunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 05:12:37 am »
sorry for the double post but if you look at the pic you can clearly see msn running in the task bar and yet it wasnt detected.............

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 07:33:15 am »
i take it you didnt take time to look at how it works...

Offline bughunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 07:54:22 am »
i dont need to its claims are false and misleading as is your post........you cant argue against the picture...........end of story.........

quote from silver stripes ............
uses the IE specific res:// URL to sniff at what software is on your system.... doesnt matter what your IE security settings are and works in IE6 as well as 7....

rubbish the picture clearly shows that statement to be false.............

and to continue this arguement just makes you look foolish..............

like so many who make these claims its all to easy to show other wise...............
you would be better to research how to set up a browser correctly, then to make false and misleading statements which are all to easy to disprove............

as i said a picture is worth a thousand words....................

Offline Mick832

• MX Hosts
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 10:01:41 am »
OK, I upped my IE security settings a little bit and now it is blank like bughunters.

Offline bughunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 10:19:07 am »
quote from me ..............
and to continue this arguement just makes you look foolish..............

i withdraw that statement, as your not foolish i actually have a great deal of respect for you...................

but i will say this...........if your going to wander around the internet with the key in the lock , sooner or later someone will open the door.............
setting up any browser is relatively easy    google can be a good friend if you choose to use it.................

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 11:27:13 am »
.if your going to wander around the internet with the key in the lock , sooner or later someone will open the door.............

thats what worries me... the 'key in the door' settings are the default... and most (not all) of the net population who use IE use the default settings...

to test this site was the first time in quite a while ive let IE play on the web... mostly i just use it as a .jpg viewer (there was even a bug for that... but thats been long since patched)... since i installed the 'fox i dont use it anymore so ive not googled for IE tweaks in quite some time... i came across this little tidbit ironically in a comment on the IEblog... (im still waiting/hopeing for position:fixed to be fixed in IE7.. something i might as well let go of) and thought i would test it and when it found winamp (only thing it found [and its a dirt old version at that]... its search results now seem to be very unpredictable) on my system i thought "hmm... bet it could be used to find winmx"

that was all... an interesting post about a bug for joe IE user to see.... (and a joking jab at GS.. who was the one i was hopeing to get a reply from)

Offline Mizz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 12:00:36 pm »
well i went and checked there just for the hell of it lol...it told me i had nero 6 and office2003

pretty intresting stuff seeing as i dont have either on this pc lmao

If God, in his infinite Wisdom, made me an Atheist...then who are you to Question him ?

Offline bughunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 12:16:53 pm »
your point is noted and i agree.........

microsoft are guilty of haveing everything turned on so to speak, thou this may make useing there software very user friendly it also opens them up to all kinds of nasties.......
even some flavors of linux are risky on there default settings not as bad as windows but still full of surprises.......
i guess thats the comprimise that has to be made for the general user......the softwares useabilty as against its secruity.........just sadly most seem to get this balance wrong, and leave the general user vunerable..........
hopefully sites like this and others can help the user get this balance right, especially in the area of blocking the cartel when useing p2p applications...........
if nothing else comes from this thread at least mick is more secure then he was a few hours ago, and so you should be thanked for raiseing the awareness of not only mick but other forum users to browser and indeed general secruity...............

Offline Mick832

• MX Hosts
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 12:30:44 pm »
I am always happy to learn

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 12:42:58 pm »
I did look this page over and it old me I had nero 6, something thats not on my machine, very troubling...not  :lol:

Offline ..Ñøßߥ..

• Core
  • We all wear masks... metaphorically speaking...
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 02:14:27 pm »
Running it on FF i got 25 results, of which 7 i actually have on my pc, but then in fairness, the average user could have guessed most of those 7.

When i ran the same page on IE it gave me 5 results, all of which were correct, but again, of those 5 most could guess it, MSN, Nero,  WMP, Quicktime, MS movie maker. If im right 3 of those are installed with XP anyway, the others are both common and often bundled with the PC's when you buy them, what an amazing website, NOT, lol

Offline Mizz

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 03:56:11 pm »
lol i only posted the most obvious ones...also said i had excell ? another program i dont have :P

and lets go on with things i dont have on this pc (or any other for that matter)

Nero 6E
Azureus
Cain
Citrix
PGP Desktop (never even heard of that one)
MSN Messenger (removed a few months back due to being a pain in the ASS)
Live Meeting 7
Excel 2003
The Office 2003 Suite
Visual Studio 2003
Picasa2
Quicktime
Oleview (dont know what this is so not sure if its on or of pc lol)
SecureCRT
Symantec Anti Virus
Ultramon

but thats the list of things it says i DO have......

what a crock :P
If God, in his infinite Wisdom, made me an Atheist...then who are you to Question him ?

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 04:41:59 pm »
LOL, quite interesting what's installed according to that page - and I'm running LInux :D
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline bughunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 07:10:23 am »
point is this site like all sites shouldnt be able to see or read anything, as i and mick demonstrated it couldnt even take a guess.....
the raiseing of your browsers secruity settings in no way interfers with normal use as far as im aware of....
is it not better to have your browser set up correctly and securely, then to find you have suddenly been corrupted in some way......
these days hackers and script kiddies arenot interested in takeing your computer down, but are far more interested in haveing it as a zombie and or useing key loggers to capture credit card , bank account logins etc............from my point of view its better to be safe then sorry, and find out your bank account or credit card has been cleaned out like so many are unfortunately falling victim too..............

Offline itsbry

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 02:27:15 pm »
I'm no expert but I am going out on a limb to say that anyone who knows enough to secure their surfing is probably not the one who needs anything else but IE...

A good example is my girlfriend... she has all the default IE stuff where I have Firefox installed. She rolls her eyes at me when I ask her how long it's been since she ran any kind of antivirus stuff on her machine... I calmly tell her that since we're networked, honey, I could get something form your computer. :?

But then, even if she installed Firefox or anything else, she doesn't know enough to make it any more secure than IE.

That reminds me, she is at work right now so I'm gonna go scan her machine real quick like...
Primary User
Win XP Pro SP2
Comcast Cable Modem
WinMX v3.54 beta
MX Monitor

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  creepy...

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx