gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 26, 2024, 05:39:16 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World  |  Site Feedback  |  Few changes...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Few changes...  (Read 4791 times)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Few changes...
« on: March 12, 2008, 03:02:44 pm »
Just wanted to let you all know that after talking to a few users, supervisors, and assistant supervisors we've decided to make a few small changes to site policy. 

First of which is that we have opened General Help topics (English only until I can speak to all the Moderators of the Language sections) back up to Guest posting.  Basically this will allow more user to get help that don't feel they need or want to join the site, and you may know it was always our policy to allow guests to post in all sections until it was abused recently by banned members.  Hopefully this wont be abused and we can enjoy allowing users to post problems and get help unabated.

The second thing you will notice is that Regular members have been given permissions to Edit/Modify their own posts.  This will be on a trial basis but I anticipate that it will become a permanent permission for Regular Members and that we will have no problems with it.  You'll notice a new button beside the 'Quote' button called 'Modify'  for your own posts now.

If anyone has any questions post them here or comments ...  :wink:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Re: Few changes...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 06:23:38 pm »
Hmm unfortunately I have already had to delete a post full of link spamming by a guest, I,m still willing to see how this pans out though so for now we shall go with the trail

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 07:14:21 pm »
I think that allowing members to Edit/Modify  there posts could open up a big can of worms especially in topics where feelings are running high ..... although in principle it would seem a good idea my thinking is that it could be easily abused by certain people.

Is there possibly a way that if a regular user Edits/Modifies  there post that it could automatically show that it has been altered?  ...... could possibly save a lot of arguments along the line

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
    • Taboo Community Website
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:59:10 pm »
i don't know here, but *by default* SMF shows "last edited by <name> on <date/time>" at the foot of edited posts, if that feature is off, i'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man to re-enable it, which would show any abuses of the kind you mention instantly.
Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed.

Offline Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK

• WANABE WINMX CHAT SERVER HACKER
  • Forum Member
    • The Rebelion
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 09:06:25 pm »
Yeah i was going to say the same but could it not be possible to add onto that each time its edited otherwise it shows only the last edit
might be nice to have a list of all occasions it was edited
[ìíÍIí¯Iì·´¯ìÍ]Íì•íÌí¯`·íI¯ìIÌì í]¡í¯ìIÎ Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK ÎIí¯ì¡[ì íÍIí¯Iì·´¯ìÍì•íÌ[Ìí¯`·íI¯ìIÌìí]

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 09:59:35 pm »
http://www.simplemachines.org/  search mods see if there's one to do that, if there is you can, if there's not.. you need someone who knows php & mysql inside out to make one.. or board admins could check the moderation log

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 01:13:05 am »
I agree with you Hell, as I said the reason editing was disabled in the first place was because it was abused, a person kept just changing thier post to the 'new comments or questions' every tiem there was a reply and it looked a mess.  The fact is we are mostly adults here and I have to at some point assume that most 'memebers' of the site are going to act accordingly,  there is a moderation log but im not entirely sure if it shows edits by users.  I'll have to check into this more

What gets annoying with the 'Last edited by' comments on posts is often person are solely editing spelling or wording errors and this shows the post has been edited and gets suspicians up that something seedy is going on.  For some odd reason lately suspicians are as thick as O2 in the air... LOL
*edited by MH*  *giggles*
Let me also add tho thanks everyone for the feedback and ideas ..

Offline thunderwinds

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 02:06:51 am »
These both sound like good ideas.  Now i will keep my fingers crossed that people choose not to abuse them.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 10:47:40 am »
Quote from: Me Here
What gets annoying with the 'Last edited by' comments on posts is often person are solely editing spelling or wording errors and this shows the post has been edited and gets suspicians up that something seedy is going on.

possibly, but turning marking of edits off also leaves you open to claims by the cynical that it's only been turned off so that it's not obvious when board admins are changing things to suit their politics better

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 11:21:50 am »
Such cynics as are likely to make such claims are usually those helping attack winmx in some shape or form from my experience.

Forums rely on trust, we trust the posters and they trust us, despite many trolls having come and gone over the years with their own agendas hidden we have been upfront and open as much as we can about our wish to help users, the majority of those using this forum are more than happy it seems as they do in fact continue to arrive here for help.

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 01:18:55 pm »
I wasn't making any accusations, merely pointing out a side effect of having this feature turned off.
Please don't jump all over me for no good reason

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 01:38:35 pm »
Sorry to double-post, just thought i'd point out that in enabling editing of own posts for members, you omitted to enable it for members of the MX Hosts section, had you done so, not only would i not have needed to double post.. but could have added a postscript such that it was a single post.....

Offline ]2aven (R.I.P.)

• MX Hosts
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 02:25:38 pm »
  Oh brother. Let me get this straight.. this "new policy" gives added options to trusted ppl such as guests and regular members, in other words everyone except mxhosts. This is just another way to alienate more ppl from this site.

How convienent that the edit tags have been eliminated. Now you can just go back and edit whatever you want to from your posts. For example, when someone says I never accused so and so of that, they can go back and edit it out and theres no proof that it was ever said.

This new policy is a bad idea altogether. Who came up with this.  TSK TSK

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 02:48:40 pm »
The inability for editing for MXHosts was an over site on my part and I'll fix that now, but I also reitterate my point about the suspicious minds ..

I guess i expect a degree of honesty from folks and as a sign and thanks for the years of support have enabled a permission that many more then have posted against it here have asked for as it is standard on most boards to allow editing of ones own posts...  :?

Merlin no one said you were doing anything but making a point and its well taken and as far as I can see Ghost is also just making a point in reply to yours?? 

Raven you seem quite hostile to be honest and I think your upset over other issues is clouding your response here, to be expected to a degree I guess but as stated above the omission of MXHosts is merely an oversight on my part.

I'm beginning to grow very tired of every thread becoming some new battle ground.  To put it simply I'm all for opinions on the subject for or against but i see no reason to get nasty over it either and assume the worst all the time.

Offline ]2aven (R.I.P.)

• MX Hosts
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 03:10:14 pm »
  Sigh... this was posted in the site feedback section right? I only posted my feedback about the new policy like any mxhost would've when they found out this new policy excludes them. I dont see how thats being hostile. Even if you do enable this for mxhosts i still think it's a bad idea for reasons already stated.

I'm growing tired also, of ppl saying i'm hostile whenever i post something that disagrees with someone. I've already been told that my input doesnt matter here and my posts are not welcome but i feel i have the right to since this is a public forum. Isnt it?

Offline Bearded Blunder

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 03:19:02 pm »
Well Ty for enabling MX Hosts too, I had suspected it was purely an oversight rather than a policy decision, as to the other matter of having SMF mark all edits, it's pretty standard in most places, just think it's a pretty good idea myself..

Moderators can (and in my opinion should) in all cases add a footnote of the sort
* Edit <state reason - correct grammar, remove cuss words, whatever>

and it should be *encouraged* in all cases where any change has been made, the object being to be as transparent as possible, which tends to reassure the paranoid somewhat, I'm sure we can all actually cope with SMF's default marking at foot of modified posts, it might not be particularly pretty, but it *is* right at the bottom in small type (also 8pt i think).. not *that* obtrusive...

Offline Mizz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 03:30:42 pm »
  Sigh... this was posted in the site feedback section right? I only posted my feedback about the new policy like any mxhost would've when they found out this new policy excludes them. I dont see how thats being hostile. Even if you do enable this for mxhosts i still think it's a bad idea for reasons already stated.

I'm growing tired also, of ppl saying i'm hostile whenever i post something that disagrees with someone. I've already been told that my input doesnt matter here and my posts are not welcome but i feel i have the right to since this is a public forum. Isnt it?

Hey Raven ;)

let me try and explain something to you...and in no manner belitteling to you..thats something i want to make clear first :D

It is never a problem to disagree on topics, idea, plans and what have you not...we all have our right to speak our mind here and to share our views...we consider our site as site where everyone can and should have his or her say in matters !

Having said that i also have to say, its not that people are against things or disagree....but how they VOICE their opinion !

We can have the best intent in mind and the most brilliant opinions...if we voice them in what appears to be an angry manner people simply will not respond the way u would like them to...does this make sence to you...coze i really dont mean it in a negative way towards you but you seem to have a hard way of voicing your opinion and that doesnt always go down the best way...even tho u posted your opinion with the best intentions in mind ;)

no offence ;)
If God, in his infinite Wisdom, made me an Atheist...then who are you to Question him ?

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 06:26:34 pm »
Yep.... no need to be hostile in posting   :wink: :wink:

Offline ]2aven (R.I.P.)

• MX Hosts
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 07:56:22 pm »
  Everyone is intitled to their opions here but please dont mistake sarchasm or defensiveness for hostility. There is a reason for adding a hint of sarchasm to my posts and it's because of this comment right here ... " I think its only fair for folks to know you are one of those who sit in the "stuff" room supporting WCS and its programmer, in short your opinion is jaded to say the least."

If my opinions are "jaded" or worthless here before I even state them, then what does it matter? I really do applogize to ppl like Mizz and Hell. I really didnt think my sarchasm was hurting anyone.

Offline Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK

• WANABE WINMX CHAT SERVER HACKER
  • Forum Member
    • The Rebelion
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 10:26:06 pm »
I shout and scream bout things and people listen to me :P lol
[ìíÍIí¯Iì·´¯ìÍ]Íì•íÌí¯`·íI¯ìIÌì í]¡í¯ìIÎ Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK ÎIí¯ì¡[ì íÍIí¯Iì·´¯ìÍì•íÌ[Ìí¯`·íI¯ìIÌìí]

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World  |  Site Feedback  |  Few changes...

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx