gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 09:23:18 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World  |  Site Feedback  |  What's Your Problem??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What's Your Problem??  (Read 6770 times)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
What's Your Problem??
« on: May 02, 2008, 11:49:09 pm »
Yes, folks that's right I want to know what your problem is/was with WinMX.  I'd like you to tell me what questions you or folks you know have about winmx, especially the ones you had before you knew much about this program and how to use it.
There are many obvioius ones but I'm doing some research on it and don't want to depend on just myself to think of all the things new users and old alike might like to know about this program and how it works, or how to fix common issues.

I'll start...

I lost my browse window, about 6 months after i was using WinMX, got very brave and went ahead and clicked the 'Yes, Continue' button on the Chat warning... found a few weird rooms then finally found some folks for help. 

I could see the lower portion of the browse, whois's were gone completely however i could still see them listed like they were open.

So question was,
I cant see my browses and whois or even a message, I click on them but nothing happens.
Answer was:
Right click one of the WinMX icons and choose 'Reset All Windows'.. worked great and I pretty much never left the help room.. lol

Yall dont have to give me life stories unless you want to, Dont need to answer  the questions.. but i need to know your questions.
Thanks for this

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
Re: What's Your Problem??
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 09:31:17 am »
When i started on winmx i had no chat experience at all (meaning not even MSN,Yahoo,or anything!).... so that first day that i got brave and clicked the chat tab and ignored the big scary warning....found a nice sounding roomname,entered the room,seen the chat going on and for the life of me couldn't figure out how to chat in the room..... figured out the PM no problem as it has a place to type your message and a send button lol..... so after working my way through the list of people 1 responded and kindly explained it to me. I doubt this would be a common problem now a days though as most people use msn and yahoo already or w/e else ,but i have had a couple of people come into my room and pm members asking for the exact same help... the last time was probably 2 years ago now but hey ya never know it might happen to somebody else lol

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 11:02:31 pm »
This is probably a Windows/Explorer issue instead of WinMX, but it only seems to happen with WinMX for me, so I will mention it.

From time to time I will click the "X" to minimize the program to the System Tray and my computer behaves as if it took a screenshot of the program at that moment and pasted it on top of my desktop. I can't access the desktop icons, sometimes I cannot access my Start button icons, and every kind of screen refreshing that I can think of (without logging out) doesn't work. As I expected even the first time that it happened, closing down the program doesn't change anything.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 11:54:52 pm »
Thanks Reef,
Thats an excellant example of what I'm looking for common issues the new user has with WinMX.  I'll add that to our list..

Cobra that sounds like a computer resource or exploerer issue yes, i get that myself but it just takes soem time for my machine to snap out of it.  You running XP.. do you have issues with AVI files?  or maybe its the GDI objects problem.. *me goes to find that thread in search*

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=1293.0.html

This may shed some light on it, not sure its the same issue tho.

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 01:50:05 am »
I guess the only real issues I've ever had with WinMX were on the pre 3.54 versions when I was sharing files. People would be chatting and instead of waiting on 2000+ files to load I opened notepad and would copy and paste into the chatbar. Most the time people never knew what I was doing unless I wasn't quick enough with the Enter button. Which was a lot of the time, lol.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 02:51:55 am »
Me Here, I wasn't really looking for an answer. It is what it is, but thanks anyway!

I don't have problems with other files, and I am pretty good at stretching resources thin resulting in an increase in virtual memory, but since this only happens with WinMX, it has to be a factor somehow. But it only happens once a year maybe.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 09:22:55 am »
I'm not entirely sure what your telling me there Nooks.. lol

Keep the questions coming folks lets broaden this a bit..

What do other ppl seem to ask the most when they are new?

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 11:35:51 am »
How to download files and search for files etc..

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 11:51:41 am »
I remember it was a long time before I found out what opennap was, and even longer how to get it installed and running in mx.

It also was a confusing issue to find out that I needed to unshare sub-folders in the library.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 05:38:33 pm »
Not my problem, but I've heard this one a lot:

"Why do my files keep timing out?"

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 12:33:18 am »
whats my problem?
bad phone lines that wont let me upload any faster than about 1.2k/s(dialup) and winmx wont let me throttle it any less than 2k/s so when someone downloads from me the connection saturates and winmx (and everything else) become completely unusable... and of course the downloader never gets his/her file...

since there is a 0 of 0 hack is there a 1k throttle hack? (winmx even has a 14.4k modem 'option' so you'd think they would have taken the saturation problem with that kind of speed into consideration...)

Offline thunderwinds

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 09:26:57 pm »
I would say th biggest problem i have encountered is the difficulty of getting winmx, especially the chat, working properly with screen reading software.  i know that there is little that can be done at this stage with winmx to make it easier to access.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 10:13:32 pm »
I don't know if this is a WinMX problem or not since WinMX is always running anyway. After a little over a week of runtime, strange things happen with windows 2k. Right click copy/paste stops working, windows are missing parts of themselves and finally no folders files or anything else involving a window will open until the whole thing is rebooted. I found a fix though, I end task 'explorer.exe' desktop vanishes, WinMX and RoboMX continue without interuption. Then I restart explorer.exe manually by typing it in the task manager. Desktop reappears and everything works just fine again without the reboot part.

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 10:28:04 pm »
MinersLantern,

I am not an expert, but that sounds like you might be running out of RAM memory or your PF Usage getting too high.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 11:40:55 pm »
These maybe interesting links for you MinersLantern,

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=2889.0.html

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=4670.0.html

The links here however are in referrence to XP tho, not sure if there is a fix for win2k but do some google work on GDI objects and see what you can find in relation to win2k.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 03:59:17 am »
thank you. I have checked with 'the google' and found http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724291(VS.85).aspx
a registry change to allow more than 10000 gdi handles, now its 16384. Maybe it will run longer maybe not. Seems 2k is limited to 16384 max. Xp to 65535ish. Both should be infinity imo.  lol

strange though this pc started doing that without an update years ago out of the blue and hasn't changed since. Before frontcode went down even, so not a patch issue. RAM and CPU still read fine after the thing gets all flakey.

Offline SamSeeSam

• Forum Member
  • The Sky will never Fall on our heads
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 05:56:45 pm »
I can't get it to work in my college :(
Can anyone fix that?
goddamn http proxies

Cheers :P
Reconnect to winmx with the blocking patch :)
Patch link :
 https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Spread the word now :)

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 08:00:50 am »
Not totally fixed... but after 21 days at least that annoying thing where windows would open (any old windows) missing parts here and there and the system refusing in its arrogant windows way running new instances of programs, it is now behaving itself. :D  That alone is wonderful, since I don't have to reboot at regular intervals to remain up. Now just that other problem that will not go away. After a time as decribed before, right click 'copy' seems to work, but forget about 'paste' that does not work via the mouse nor control V. Only way to fix it is to reboot or succumb to the dreaded task of typiing instead of copying, like a secretary from the 1960's.

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 07:54:11 pm »
MinersLantern are you using RoboMX also by chance? 

This bug is something that happens to folks using RoboMX, if you, are open RoboMX, right click on someones name in chat user list, choose copy name, paste it in the text bar then back space over it and it should be resolved, no need to actually enter that post into the chat room.
RoboMX has some bug that tends to lock up the paste function.

Let me know if this helped or if I'm way off base here next time it happens.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 09:45:08 pm »
Yes I am. I since rebooted and went on linux. Will try that next time I go to windows. Interesting.
Thanks!

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX World  |  Site Feedback  |  What's Your Problem??

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.024 seconds with 27 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx