gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 12:39:00 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks  |  fun with task manager
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: fun with task manager  (Read 5007 times)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
fun with task manager
« on: August 18, 2009, 11:16:54 pm »
http://akshayjain.org/blog/2008/08/hack-unable-to-change-priority-in-task-manager/

lets you change the process priority of 'system' processes (amongst other things)

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
Re: fun with task manager
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 01:57:28 pm »
I didn't see a reply to the question in that thread to whether or not you would have to do that every time to open task manager with system priveledge so I copied the command and pasted it in notepad and saved it to desktop as task.bat and tried it and it worked. makes a right propper shortcut to taskmanager. :)
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 12:49:37 am »
i put it in the 'run' box as "cmd /c ntsd -c qd tasmgr" (without the quotes) ... works the same as the .bat file without creating a file since its in the run boxs' history list ;)

guess it would have been nice tho if the blogger had mentioned that it -does- need to be run like that every time...

intesting tidbit; change the .bat to .cmd and it will start quicker.... (using .bat starts the ntvdm and the old 16 bit dos command.com to run it)

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• MX Hosts
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 12:01:58 pm »
"cmd /c ntsd -c qd tasmgr"

Ok, so just out of curiousity can you break that down and tell me what exactly I'm telling windows when I type that command?
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 01:31:29 pm »
First of all I think SS meant

cmd /c ntsd -c qd taskmgr

and breaking down,

CMD start command shell

/C Carries out My_Command and then terminates

ntsd invokes windows command line debugger

-c executes the following debugger command

qd quit and detach the application

another nice "feature"

Kill *any* process:
Get list of processes : tasklist /svc
Kill Process : ntsd -p <pid> -c "q"

Start Task Manager with Elevated Privileges (Kill System Processes, etc):
ntsd -hd -c "qd" taskmgr
-c "qd" tells debugger to execute 'qd' command at the first breakpoint.
-hd forces the target process to use regular heap (when the process is started under debugger the default is to use the NT debug heap. This is slower and takes up more memory)

note: qd has another function than "qd"

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• MX Hosts
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 02:34:14 pm »
Thank you very much for that explaination wonderer. Made for an interesting read.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks  |  fun with task manager

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx