gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 12:07:11 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks  |  How to Enable and Use ReadyBoost in Windows 7 and Vista
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How to Enable and Use ReadyBoost in Windows 7 and Vista  (Read 3200 times)

Offline ]-[êll.Ôñ.ËÀR'][']-[.

• WMW Volunteer
  • Its hard being me...but i do it just great.
How to Enable and Use ReadyBoost in Windows 7 and Vista
« on: February 08, 2010, 01:10:18 pm »
Windows ReadyBoost allows user to make use of relatively cheap USB flash drive, memory stick or memory card as extra additional disk-based cache memory to speed up and boost performance of Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating system, and improve system responsiveness. Windows uses ReadyBoost memory to supplement the existing virtual memory, which is stored on slow hard disk drive.

In order to be able to be used as the virtual memory caching storage medium by ReadyBoost, the removable media will need to meet the following hardware and speed requirements:

1. The capacity of the removable media is at least 256 MB (or 250 MB after formatting).
2. The flash memory devices must be capable of 2.5MB/sec throughput for 4K random reads spread uniformly across the entire device.
3. The flash memory devices must also be capable of 1.75MB/sec throughput for 512K random writes spread uniformly across the device.
4. The removable media device should have an access time of 1ms or less.
5. The flash media must have at least 235 MB of free storage psace.
6. Formatted as NTFS or FAT32 filesystem, both can make use a maximum of 4 GB of flash memory, which is the ReadyBoost limit, and in FAT32 case, the ReadyBoost.sfcache file size is also limited by FAT32 filesystem to 4GB.
7. ReadyBoost supports one flash device at any one time as of currently.

Of course, ReadyBoost won’t outperform adding additional physical RAM memory, but it’s a good alternative for users with existing or spare USB flash drive to gain some free speed boost. Here’s how to turn on and enable ReadyBoost on Windows Vista and Windows 7 system.

1. Insert the USB 2.0 flash drive (memory stick, thumbdrive, pendrive, key drive and etc) into USB port, or a memory card (SD, SDHC MMC, CF, MS, xD and etc) into a card reader.
2. On AutoPlay pop-up window, select Speed up my system using Windows ReadyBoost.

Alternatively, if there is no AutoPlay dialog, right click on the removable disk drive in Windows Explorer, and select Properties. Then, go to ReadyBoost tab.

3. Select Dedicate this device to ReadyBoost option to use entire flash memory space on the device as ReadyBoost virtual memory, up to a maximum of 4GB.

Select Use this device and then specify to space to reserve for system speed using the slider bar or specify the value in MB in the text box below the option.

4. Click OK.

ReadyBoost will start using the device instantly. If the USB flash drive or memory card reader has LED indicator, the light will be flashing continuously, even without read or write operation initiated by user.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
Re: How to Enable and Use ReadyBoost in Windows 7 and Vista
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 06:06:24 am »
I would imagine that it works better with a multicore processor.

I do video edits, tried ready boost and it didnt really make any difference. But I still have my ancient 2.4Ghz single core processor in the way.

Does that really speed up things for you?

The ram I use (normally) transfers (write) at 8 Meg/sec, but that still does nothing to speedup the system. I have another SD one that zips along at 25 Meg/sec on write, but that makes no speed increase either.

I think my cpu is maxed out and adding all the ready boost in the world, isnt going to speed up the cpu.

Just curious as to does this idea work in a noticable way on more decent cpus?

If I run out and make myself a 4 core physical processor device, then add ready boost, will it end up gonig very, very, fast? Compared to what a 4 core can do which is already very fast?

One very Vs 2 verys.  lol

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 06:08:46 am »
Oh and btw, howdy Hell.

Ive seen you before at times. Its good to see some techical talk going on around here.  :)

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 07:31:03 am »
i tried readyboost (core 2 duo) and used perfmon to watch its usage of the usb device and... honestly couldnt tell a difference with it on or off... ...i read online that its moreso for laptops that have a 5400rpm drive and that if a 7200 (or faster) is used it doesnt make much difference... YMMV?

WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Tips, Tricks, and Tweaks  |  How to Enable and Use ReadyBoost in Windows 7 and Vista

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx