gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 12:42:33 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Clients  |  Backdoor found in Rebellion's(Sean) Winmx peer application 1.0
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Backdoor found in Rebellion's(Sean) Winmx peer application 1.0  (Read 5628 times)

Somone

It asked to connect right when i opened it so i did some investigating. The program phones home and tells what you do.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Backdoor found in Rebellion's(Sean) Winmx peer application 1.0
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 04:22:32 pm »
This is a beta and perhaps Sean thought he could obtain useful feedback via this method, personally I would have informed folks of such a feature, is there any demonstration of chat room strings being passed as you would expect if this was malicous ?

Offline Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK

• WANABE WINMX CHAT SERVER HACKER
  • Forum Member
    • The Rebelion
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »
i personally do not know vb but having looked at that if u read it carefully it actually sends a message to Sean's ip with ur username and the error u hit.  this is simply the same as the error u get wen windows crashes and asks if u want to send an error report to microsoft.  as it was a beta im sure he wanted to get all the crash data and therefore added this "call home" class in.  it is not like he is trying to put viruses or bugs in ur pc.

yes he should of mentioned it calls home but its not a biggie and if u chance using a beta then u gotta understand the things are TEST based only

hope that clears this up
[ìíÍIí¯Iì·´¯ìÍ]Íì•íÌí¯`·íI¯ìIÌì í]¡í¯ìIÎ Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK ÎIí¯ì¡[ì íÍIí¯Iì·´¯ìÍì•íÌ[Ìí¯`·íI¯ìIÌìí]

Offline Sean

• Core
    • The Rebelion
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 02:23:27 am »
Hello. The error and usage reports were added in version 1.0 to help me make a better application. It was pointed out to me that it was considered spyware by someone here at winmxworld, and I immediatly removed the ReportClient class from the project, and closed the server that was hosted at my IP address. Allthough I am aware of the fact that this is considered a "backdoor", please be asured that it only collected the name of the user as a "username", and reported menu usage, and packet errors. Once again, it was removed, and I apoligize for any problems this may have caused. Thank you.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Chat Clients  |  Backdoor found in Rebellion's(Sean) Winmx peer application 1.0

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx