gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 08:19:08 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP  (Read 10706 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP
« on: August 15, 2008, 02:20:58 am »
Eagle has asked us to round up  group of 100-200 patch users for a large scale test of his new patch, we have been testing it for a while now and it seems to have all bugs ironed out in the main patch body but this latest release contains code for dynamic UPNP that automatically forwards ports and closes them again after the app closes, this method is used by most  torrent clients and many current p2p clients so we envisage no problems but as a whole the patch needs a workout, this is where you come in...

For Experienced Users To Test Only Please

1) Close your MX
2) Save your old patch (oledlg.dll)in the winmx folder in program files and unzip this latest test version there
3) Start MX up as normal, enjoy look for bugs and do your best to find fault  :lol:

Please post any bug reports here for Eagle to read. ta folks  8)

Our thanks go to Eagle for his community minded work and in ensuring this patch has met every obstacle we could throw in its path, well done Eagle  8)

[edit : File removed by Ghostship due to update]

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
Re: New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 09:52:33 am »
considering the fuss caused the last time, methinks i'll sit this patch out and just wait for a fully functional new client...

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 10:06:27 am »
A few ppl have asked about the <FSR= and BC=> in the update bar.

FSR is fake search results blocked
BC is Blocked Clients.

In other words if your using primary you will see the BC raise as the patch blocks riaa/mpaa clients like MediaDefender from connecting to you as secondaries, and if your doing lots of searching the FSR will raise as it lets you know how many fake search results were filtered from your screen.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:16:10 pm »
Excellent news, im so looking forward to this rolling out, already beavering away with new installers lol, cant belive we are finally at a new stage in Winmx's life.

And folks wanting to continue using the old patch will soon find their connection times RAISING continuesly when this patch rolls out due to it having no lock in method like the current DLL. Also robomx connection times will get better and better. Some may know a client is being built, but a better solution for now is here, and with full UPNP support the answer to alot of folks setting up nightmares are over. So you may want to stick with the old KM patch but i would imagine it wont be long before the connection times are worse than robomx itself.

The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »
what about the routers that dont support UPnP but do support NAT (yes... port forwarding can be done automatically without UPnP)? will NAT be added?

[EDIT]: ok... oops... apparantly normal port forwarding cant be done with just NAT in of itself... insert foot in mouth on that one...

and Deux... you sound just a little too excited about software that really should still be considered alpha...

[EDIT]: but i do still think you are being to quick with this one.... already making installers? (do you not remember what happened with the last installer?) and spreading FUD that the original patch will be really really slow? (not everyone is going to switch over instantly.... so... wtf?)

care to post some extended infos about the internal workings of this patch like the page describing the KM patch on this site?

how exactly are you editing the update bar in realtime? does the "new" (term used loosely) dll do .dll injection for mshtml.dll in winmx too? or is this being bounced between winmx and a server running a script? are there any edits made to the hosts file?

some questions -need- to be answered here.... before install...

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 07:35:11 pm »
about the <FSR= and BC=>

for the nosy and suspicious like me, it would be great if these blocks and filtered fakes could be made visable in real time.

after all, that would prove filtering and blocking does work as it should work.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 07:41:20 pm »
They are working in real time, as you search you will the search number increasing as it filters each search, and as each media company tries to connect to you and it blocks it goes up in the BC=. That is real time, its not making them up.

and silver, you will find this patch is a beta, this has been around for a very long time and i have been testing it since its very first version, i can assure you this is far from alpha, if anything if maybe something crops up, which i haven't been able to find for the two weeks already Ive been using it my working on new installers aren't premature, it wouldn't be here in public if we hadn't already tested on a bed computers, i would consider, if nothing crops up, this is probably ready.

The patch works almost the same as KM's, it replace winmx.com and sends to our caches. It loads the blocklist via port 7930 as did KM's. It filters almost the same as KM's yet it doesn't use any primary protocol to filter to secondaries, so it would appear to feel safe to publish source code, but i wont say if it will or wont be released opensource, as that really has nothing to do with me. The update bar is a txt file, nothing scary their. The patch doesn't need any hostfile modification, as i say, it works the same as KM's. Yet it has no mangle, and it doesn't filter primary to secondary, it filters the secondary results at the secondary machine.

and as you know we are all volentry users here, I'm sure a new page will be put up closer to this patch's release, and when one of us has a chance. And thier is nothing wrong in seeing some of my friends hard work finally come to fruit, and the inevitabilty is as this rolls out, KM's patch will become more and more difficult to connect with, this is not a lie, its a fact.

What was the problems with the last installer? Merlins are we talking about? Some people think themselves as god, the installers i made are posted without contract, the source is actaully posted in a section of this forum you dont have access to, nothing to hide from me, no come backs either, if you read the info on the installer it even says its owned by nobody.

I personally am very excited by this, so are alot of other people, and if you do a business degree you will learn a simple phrase. "The Six P's" which stands for "Previous Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance". Something i stand by.

Anything else?

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 08:15:32 pm »
One thing worth mentioning is that it adds a file in your winmx folder called oledlg.ini.

In there you can enable/disable the above mentioned showing of  blocked connection and you can also see where it connects to
for the status bar and which caches addresses it uses.
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 08:38:22 pm »
anything else?

yes... whose are 'our caches'? same as the old? a new set?

it replace winmx.com and sends to our caches

how does it do this without modifing the hosts file as stated;

The patch doesn't need any hostfile modification

even a single line counts as a modification....  even the KM patch does this... which causes a glitch when IE is set to use a proxy (the update bar stays white)... (MX isnt set to use a proxy... only IE and as a side effect any app that uses mshtml.dll to reach the web...)

this;
And folks wanting to continue using the old patch will soon find their connection times RAISING continuesly

this is the gun jumping FUD im talking about... yes i agree the KM patch will decline in connect speed but considering this patch hasnt even been officially released and is still in a testing phase 'soon' is much too strong a word to use.... unless you are using the 'coming soon' joke that trillians authors use...

and then;
What was the problems with the last installer? Merlins are we talking about?

i dont care if it was made by the knights of the round table... i dont want the 'bitchslap' this patch caused the network to happen again....

or as the old saying goes "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"...

i will await for comment/assurance from GS and MH before considering anything else... no offence to you but considering ive been around those two a lot longer than you they get priority on the "im-not-making-this-shit-up" scale.... (again... its nothing personal... its that i dont know you that well)

[EDIT] you still havent answered if it replaces with dll injection the mshtml.dll used for the status display with something of its own...

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 08:50:49 pm »
You can wait for mehere or quicks to respond, you should know me, ive been here since the begining, or maybe its the name change that is throwing you. How soon tiny4eva is forgotten,

It doenst add a line to the hostfile as it doesnt update the update bar in the way KM's patch used too, it uses a diffrent system that im sure someone who knows how that section works better than myself will explain to you. KM's patch never made entrys in the hostfile to make it connect, not ever.

Seen as thier are disscussions with pie my theory will be swift,

the caches are the same that are running at the moment, with the advent of new ones if requierd

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 09:06:58 pm »
How soon tiny4eva is forgotten
(emphasis mine)

dammit... >.< forgotten indeed... i didnt know -who- the hell you were... LMAO
oook... now that weve established that....

KM's patch never made entrys in the hostfile to make it connect, not ever.
this i knew, but because of my configuration and occasional habit of locking the hosts file it caused problems only with the status bar.... so i wanted to know what the new patch did to change the status bar... and how on earth it was doing it in 'realtime'...

and one more question.... since the patch filters fakes on secondaries (doesnt need the primaries) will this not cause more problems (congestion) for dialup users (has this been tested?)...

@nylly the .ini file use i like... the name of the ini file may prove confusing to some but still its a leap forward in being open (and better than using the registry)...

anyway.... now that i know who the hell you are :P ill give this thing a spin...

Offline nylly444

• WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 09:12:45 pm »
- The caches being used are in fact the same ones wmw has been using and others can be added the same way with simply adding them to the dns

- winmx.com gets replaced in the dll the same way KM has been doing it for ages (ask the techie people about this if you really wanna know)

- The only hosts file entry KM's patch needed was for the status bar to work, eagle has found another way to do that (don't ask me, I'm not a programmer, lol)
 (host file on Linux is writable for root only, on KM's it needed to be modified manually to show the update bar, now it doesn't need any modification at all, not even temporary)

- We're not jumping the gun on it this time around. Last time it was released prematurely, this time it's been tested by some selected users who found no majopr issues,
that's why it's out there for YOU all to test now before any new installers are being built

- The problem wiht the last installer was that it was built on an earlier version of the patch that caused major issues for windows users and shouldn't have been released at all for public use

For any other technical questions I will refer you to those in the know about this kind of stuff, I'm not a programmer.

And btw, do you think GS would have made this post in the first place if he hadn't agreed on releasing it this time?
In fact we all agreed on it after testing it urselves for a while now.
Personally I've been using this On Linux since it first came out and never had any issues with it, so I think EaglE's hard work on this is finally paying out
which is a good thing all in all.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 09:23:46 pm »
I think good things are going to come of this patch for sure but I hear what your saying Stripes and also know whats been happening behind the scenes and how long Deux has been testing this beast along with many others in the admin group here, we like yourself will be watching to ensure the test-users are satisfied with Eagles latest release and will of course generate information and answer any queries folks wish to ask when the final build is in, for all I know this may in fact be the one being tested, but your right in the main respect, lets not jump the gun, we have time to test and inform each, and whilst I am hoping a successful test will mean we can remove the Mangle feature from the network and thus ensure better network operation and faster bot and chat client connection times, I for one wont be using a stick to drive folks onto the alternative just yet, I think it should stand on its own merits as I see it already doing and the users can test and get comfortable with any new release as and when they choose, this is of course the longer path to improving the network but it is the least troublesome and to most of us that makes it the only real path to follow.

I do however feel happy that this is a real contender for the next patch upgrade, it has every feature we have requested and a developer who has not been slow in finding and fixing bugs when notified directly, this alone gives me confidence in what seems so far a stable product.

And yes a 56k user has tested it and found it fine, but there is always room for more input and Eagle is eager to hear of any flaws or bugs , thus far he is tapping his fingers I expect..lol

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 09:39:58 pm »
online ~15mins so far...

connected in less than 10seconds (havent seen winmx do that since before the shutdown)

searches return a plenty and downloads work quite nice...

bug?; FSR= and BC= havent changed from '0'  status bar did change saying it was looking for updates then switched to say beta8 with the FSR and BC....  i searched for 'popular' music (ick) artists and it never changed but there didnt seem to be any fakes...  

any input for that one? my modem is technically 56k but dont count on it sustaining that speed.... or at times even close to it....

Offline EaglE123

• Core
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 09:59:17 pm »
If you are connected to a primary that is using a dll patch that can filter results you don't receive "bad" results, so FSR will stay to 0
secondary filtering is needed only when you are connected to a primary that doesn't filter results

Offline nylly444

• WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 10:01:37 pm »
EaglE has just informed us that he added the function to enable/disable the new upnp feature in the ini file now, so here's a new download for you.
Otherwise it's exactly the same, so no new version number, just has the adddtion of   /enableupnp 1  by default in the oledlg.ini, which can be set to 0 of course.

See attached file.

[edit : File removed by Ghostship due to update]

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 10:27:59 pm »
If you are connected to a primary that is using a dll patch that can filter results you don't receive "bad" results, so FSR will stay to 0
secondary filtering is needed only when you are connected to a primary that doesn't filter results

ahh... that makes sense...

Offline wonderer

• MX Hosts
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 03:14:29 pm »
They are working in real time, as you search you will the search number increasing as it filters each search, and as each media company tries to connect to you and it blocks it goes up in the BC=. That is real time, its not making them up.

Anything else?

Showing IF is filtered or blocked seems to me a bit different from showing WHAT is filtered or blocked

Good to see uPnP can be switched off.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 07:46:31 pm »
reporting in; winmx itself has been running for 14 hours (not connected for 14 hours tho... no patch on the planet is going to fix a bad connection to the web... this runtime would have been a lot longer had windoze update not gone through its time of the month) and it has been running stable through internet hiccups and disconnects and as far as i can tell there are no memory leaks (if there is one its a small one)... and i guess it might be a good idea to post that im running it on windows 2000 just in case....

note: -still- have not seen FSR change from '0' .... um... does this counter reset when connected to a new primary cos i know my bad connection has had me bouncing between primaries like a superball on crack.... so should i not have at least seen something .... just... gettin a little worried here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT_Port_Mapping_Protocol

ah-hah! i knew there was another one (besides UPnP) that could automatically port forward....
tho this seems to be apple centric (translation; not as widely supported?) it would be a nice gesture, tho not exactly a necessity, to add it at a later date for those who somehow got winmx to run on OSX... (its in this forum that its being done... tho considering all OSX is - is a fork of BSD called darwin with a 'pretty face' grafted onto it, its not that far of a stretch of the imagination that they got wine installed to run the MX...)

Offline EaglE123

• Core
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 11:38:24 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT_Port_Mapping_Protocol  <--- easy to add
2  FSR and BC = 0... in secondary BC is difficult different by 0, FSR .. are you making searches on each primary do you connect? if FSR is still 0.. probably you are connecting to all dll primaries

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx