gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever May 05, 2024, 02:35:13 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP  (Read 10724 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 11:45:01 pm »
Hi Stripes Eagle has been reading this thread and has implemented the requested feature in a further release, I have however asked him not to release it just yet as we need a solid reference build confirmed before bolting on any extras, I hope you agree we need a period of intensive testing to identify any major/minor concerns and with a single build to ensure the waters of bug reporting are not muddied.

Offline Bart_Laroc_260

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 03:58:21 am »
tried the patch with /enableupnp 0, winmx went into "not responding" on openinf, took a few minutes to respond & open, but connected ok when it opened ?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 05:06:42 am »
* Silver Stripes didnt mean for eagle to add NAT-PMP now GS

i ment for it to be added at a later date as in... after we have a stable release first lol...

but since you, eagle, are -that- quick at it heres a wishlist for down-the-road releases...

1 randomised ports on each restart (dont go below 1024 tho... some folks do use the service ports for serivces) when UPNP and/or NAT-PMP are enabled (leave them at default if not of course and make it a seperate option)

this might help with ISPs that play nasty..... if its even needed....

2 basic leech blocker (if possible) .... consider users with the 0 of 0 hack installed to be 'bad connections' (or add another ticker to the update/status bar and label it something else) and make this also disableable in the ini file...

and.... really thats all i can think of right now.... im not quite sure what all can be done with .dll injection of this sort.... can you add functionality to the chat client part?

in other news... ~ 24hrs solid run so far... memory useage normal... client still stable...
unfortunatly im not using the version that has the ability to disable upnp since at the time i installed this one the other didnt exsist and a upnp client is supposed to simply do nothing when encountering a router that doesnt support it (and linux ipmasq doesnt support it.. at least my setup doesnt) --- when a download i have running ends (either by getting cut off or finishing) i will try the upnp disableable one....

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 06:14:17 am »
installed upnp disableable patch.... deleted old .ini -- started the MX to get the new ini file autocreated -- closed the MX -- changed '/enableupnp 1' to 0 and opened the MX again..... lol.... (bit of a stretch to get the ball rolling but hey...)

started with upnp disabled (?) with no problems....

Offline EaglE123

• Core
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 01:26:50 pm »
randomize port.. i could do that modifying settings.dat winmx file

leech blocker -> very difficult

where are all coders of winmx? anyone that wants to help?

Offline Programmer

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 02:49:44 pm »
Not to be wanty or anything, but why didn't you make a gui for the new settings like KM's patch. And when will you  add fast channel listings by secondary?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 08:10:26 pm »
@programmer: where is the KM patch GUI?

@EaglE: those are just pipe dream type wishlist items... by no means are they neccesary...

tho i do have a question; if you dont know how the configuration file is crypted do you know what ports winmx is trying to open (for the UPnP configuration) when it tries to connect or do you have the defaults hard-coded?

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 09:38:40 pm »
Programmer the fast channel option was something that was delivered from the KM web based peer caches and we no longer use those due to KM not wishing us to do so, we currently operate caches provided by Eagle that he provided to help defeat the WCS node flooding damage, this they do perfectly.

@ Stripes : Programmer is referring to the tree additions in the Settings Tab that appeared in a beta version 3.1 KM patch, this was never released for the entire network just for testing and thus it may be something many have never heard of.

The decryption of the settings dat file is known to Eagle and therefore retrieving the port information from that file will be possible.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 11:08:09 pm »
* Silver Stripes apparently had a really bad brainfart and thought EaglE said he -didnt- know how it was crypted...

Offline EaglE123

• Core
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 12:02:12 am »
I said i didn't.. 2 days ago
now i know how to read && write the settings.dat file :D
(now i see what ports winmx tries to open intercepting a function called for open a port)
fastlist for secondary = high bandwith usage for the peercache, i don't like it.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2008, 09:02:02 am »
ah... so at least i know im not seeing things lol

fastlist  for secondary always cloggled MX and caused lost downloads for dialup (i hated it too... i can wait for the list to come over the pipe the normal way.... pleeeese dont add that back)

heh... if you can read/write the settings.dat file a really nice (for those of us that hate to have to use leechammer) would be that every time your patch starts it checks for and disables the 0 of 0 hack.... but i have a funny feeling that would cause a lot of leeches to not install your patch and find other ways to connect.... but.... hmmm... would that be a bad thing? after all... it would make -their- life harder (KMs patch wont connect as fast... if at all... and the hosts file alone would show too many fakes and allow them to be bogged down by cartel connections... and peergardian... well... thats a story onto itself...) ..... it would probably split the network again... but not between mxpie and winmxworld but the legit users from the hacks and leeches...

just some ponderings in the wee hours of the morning while half asleep and cant get back to sleep... (ugh)

eagle/GS/MH/tiny.... what do you folks think?

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 09:06:12 am »
Nope i wouldnt agree in adding the fast list again either, it requires the caches to request the chat list continuesly, many forget patch 3.1 didnt work with opennap, it suddenly had this fast list reload, and messed with the settings part of Winmx. To me its fine adding stuff but messing with the programme too much i dont agree with, in the end you could just be making a rod for your own back.

Personally in a final release i would like to see these option's.

The block =1/0 removed, i dont agree that any patch should be in final production with this facilty able to be turned off.

filter=1/0 yes leave that in, maybe some folks like seeing millions of fakes, who knows.

upnp=1/0 yes on or off, some dot like it, personally i think it will be the best thing to happen to winmx for along while and atract more noobs.

port randmoisation. i dont see the purpose of this, maybe im missing something, i know torrents do it too, but if people want it people want it.

0 of 0. I would love to see this in the patch, especially since now you can check the settings.dat file. i would like to see the patch remove this on every load up and be rid of people who just wont share or let them sit on hostfiles and their connections bombed with flooders.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2008, 09:49:54 am »
From a technical/security  viewpoint I would like to caution against including unecessary code and functions into a patch , the reason being we could find the features hacked out of the patch and used for bad in another app, this is not beginners work for sure but it is possible and therefore something we shouldnt take lightly when deciding what should or should not be in a patch.

Offline Programmer

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008, 02:39:17 pm »

fastlist  for secondary always cloggled MX and caused lost downloads for dialup (i hated it too... i can wait for the list to come over the pipe the normal way.... pleeeese dont add that back)

The fast channel listings were actually all on a web page exactly like the list wpnlist.exe makes. KM's patch just made a separate connection to the web server downloaded the list and injected it into the receive buffer as a new packet or something like that. *after the decryption process*.

So really, it had nothing to do with the network.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 05:37:58 pm »
I dont believe Stripes said it did, he merely drew folks attention to the fact that in his opinion is was a hindrance rather than a help.

I,m sure someone found it useful but when your using a third party patch to operate on a finely tuned application (MX) you will always run the risk of doing something to harm the performance of the original app, anyone who doesnt take these things into consideration will only be making a problem for themselves.

I draw your attention to the problem it created with OpenNap mentioned above, KM did in the end fix this problem but you can be sure he wasnt expecting to have to do so.

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2008, 01:01:23 am »
Ok folks I thing we have had a good time of testing and want urgently to see some feedback on any potential issues or concerns that are unresolved posted now, and please if you do have any issues to report we want details of the following:

Operating system and service pack level
If your a linux user we would like information on the linux build and type and the wine version in use.
WinMX version and whether your a primary or secondary users
Router or modem information,  make and model please
Any third party mx programs
Any third party firewalls or windows firewall in use ?

...and of course a short description of the problem and how to duplicate it.

Please remember the more targetted information you can all provide the faster a general solution for all users can be acheived, stability seems to not be an issue with this new patch thus far so we can all be happy on that score and a few folks have made some observations that are being investigated for cause, lets all do what we can to help and gather any useful data quickly and resolve the final concerns.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2008, 08:37:23 am »
win2k SP2 here.
If I run on the real OS and set the upnp to zero winmx will open with a gray screen. The update window fills in but thats all.
If I do the same on a virtual vmware of the same OS it doesn't do that, it behaves and connects whether upnp is zero or one.
Also, a certain trader on Verizon whos ip is no where near anything on the blocklist never shows up in a search nor does he queue. When I do a pie sorta patch he usually shows up easy enough. (with firewall blocking access to the same ips as the blocklist plus a whole lot more)
Sygate firewall BTW, yes I know it can be hacked, but I like it and dont have any loose trojans on this pc to bypass it. In fact, if I do set it to allow everything it makes no changes to the above situation.
This is on a network behind an actiontec modem running iptables and the primary ports properly opened as they have been for years.
This patch is still showing 100% cpu usage at times on a primary just as KMs did. That freezes the entire system for short times. I thought maybe the filtering was doing it, so shut that off in the ini file, no effect on the freezing.
Using a hosts file to connect without a dll patch and firewalling as I do, winmx rarely goes to 100% cpu time. It doesn't filter fakes that way, but I don't search for fakes either.
Otherwise it is amazing just how fast this patch can connect as a secondary.
With a hosts file patch like pie, stare at the pretty yellow light for about 10 minutes.
With this patch, I usually connect in under a second.
Now if whatever its doing to cause the cpu to lockup could be addressed, that would be really good.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 08:49:21 am »
Windows Vista ultimate sp1
winmx 3.54b4 run both primary and secondry, mostly primary 90% of time
Speedtouch 585 v6 upnp works flawlessly ever single time
dont use any third party mx programs always have 6 slots for anyone
use windows firewall, no issues with that

Only thing i noticed during patch installer testing was when i was testing installers so icould stay in the room i was running the multi MX versions available in the archive here httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/Ze%20Assortment/doubleMX.zip the update bar stayed white, i dont know if thats because of them versions of mx or its not working on wimx 3.31, but something you can look into. Also awhile back, many versions before these, and i havent installer mxmoni since, but when you started winmx with the Moni icon. ie opened moni and mx booted a few seconds later automaticly the  fsr=0 bc=0 didnt show. I should probably tst that again before reporting that, i did tell marty about it as i say many verisons ago lol.

Played with the blocking etc, loaded my own fake lists watched me fill up with dodgy secondrys and then loaded the correct list, kills them nps at all, filtering works effortlessly and extremly smoothly, ie no detected extra computer resources or small freezes as it trys to filter, just results flowing, it even handles a search for eminem with no shakyness. all in all very happy with it.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2008, 09:19:00 am »
2k sp4 (automatic updates is on so ive got the latest of everything MS still wants to release for 2k)... cant test primary so its secondary only... upnp (or any other method of automatic port forwarding) doesnt work due to my setup being manual only...  have upnp disabled to prevent unneeded IP traffic on the internal network that goes through a belkin router (and partially through a linksys hub cos i ran out of wired ports) setup as a wifi access point cos i dont have hispeed (cant use the routers 'modem' port or other functions.. like upnp)... linux is where the dialup web is coming from.... (ipmasq with portforwarding setup)

upnp being on initialy didnt do anything to the router (which does technically support it)... so at least thats good...

also; i can actually list the chat channels on the wpn without loosing downloads or my connect to the wpn... something i couldnt do with KMs patch...

basically i havent had a problem with the beta8 patch....  as far as 3rd party stuff; used winmx with leechammer and the normal crashes that happened with it even before the winmx.com shutdown still happen (leechammer has a bad memory leak and isnt developed anymore... but i fscking hate leeches and 'trade only' 0 of 0/mxmoni users)

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2008, 10:27:19 am »
Thanks Gents this is the sort of info we need  8)

Can we have some more results please from some of the other folks who have downloaded this patch.

Miners Lantern and Stripes can you both tell me how much ram you have installed please, cheers  :)

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  WinMx World News  |  New Test Patch from Eagle With UPNP

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx