gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 18, 2024, 06:22:57 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  Brand New Winmx v4.0
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Brand New Winmx v4.0  (Read 1793 times)

Offline blackwolf

• Forum Member
Brand New Winmx v4.0
« on: August 20, 2008, 11:46:32 pm »
hi folks

i think it's about time someone wrote a new version of winmx to keep up with the changing times

we need a winmx which incorporates the principles of torrenting.  i don't mean connect to sites, but to those in the immediate community.

for example, it 10 people where downloading the same file from me then they would automatically connect to each other too, and anyone who then downloads from them would also join the swarm

just an idea

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
Re: Brand New Winmx v4.0
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:16:32 am »
The problem blackwolf is that winmx is a closed source programme, when the original creator left he didn't release any of his source code. But all is not lost, their are two clients in development at the moment but as I'm sure you have seen here we do not work for financial gain so we unfortunately have to work and live too, so development isn't always as swift as some would like, Check out this https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php/board,51.0.html section as to where their development is as their are a few things you can look, their is also a section of this forum off view from normal users available for coders to see source works of diffrent parts of active development.

Although i wouldn't be expecting anything any time soon i wouldn't loose hope in seeing things added to a once complete winmx clone, although security is Winmx's main weapon in hiding your IP and torrents offer you no protection on this front, I dont know of anyone ever being caught for downloading or uploading on winmx, i can name a good few for torrents. So i wouldnt know if something like that would be implemented. We are very proud of winmx's natural defenses for your security and protecting you and i know i wouldn't like to see something added that could get you caught out.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
Re: Brand New Winmx v4.0
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 01:08:53 pm »
I thought perhaps its time i made a few observations here to clear up some of the reasons why certain "improvements" are not really viable for this style of network, take for instance the torrenting idea, this is great if one person has a file and many others want that same identical file, but in a system like winmx of many sources and many variants of the same file of different size, bit-rate, encoding, etc its just not feasible to use, this is besides the fact that you will be hard pressed to locate torrents of any worth over a year or two old as there are no "seeders", this then is not a helpful model for us to use, I,m all ears to more feasible solutions but they need to be targeted to the fact that we are a p2p file sharing network and not merely a downloading community of the torrent or newsgroup sorts.

A popular misconception I hear time and again is that "torrents are faster", faster than what ?

WinMX can download a similar sized file in a faster time with the same amount of sources this is a fact, try it and see for yourself, this is why multiple src downloads where introduced and of course there is no similar upload overhead using WinMX, 30 users is 30 users whatever system you use.

Some folks may claim that this is not true and point to certain torrents, upon investigation its been seen that this is down to the use of a web server for uploading called in torrent circles a "seedbox", once again when mx is placed on a server the same speeds are seen, pound for pound you have an equivalent capability when compared like for like, so we can state simply that speed will not increase using that model here, it will in fact be worse.

New ideas and concepts are great to hear and we all like to learn and understand new information so if any of you folks do have a "brainstorm" jot it down and draw a theoretical overview or diagram, I for one am happy to look over any usable network scanarios and how best they can be utilised.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  Brand New Winmx v4.0

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx