gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 12:20:00 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Other Software  |  Peergurdian 2 yes or no ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Peergurdian 2 yes or no ?  (Read 8086 times)

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
Peergurdian 2 yes or no ?
« on: January 03, 2009, 03:32:19 pm »
Just wondering what the general feeling was now about using peergurdian i just installed it for a trial run, using winmx on primary and only having the p2p list in pg2  it was blocking allot but mainly ips from net2EZ every second !  for people who use other clients other than winmx or aswell as winmx is pg2 good or useless ?

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
Re: Peergurdian 2 yes or no ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 04:18:06 pm »
From what ive just read through links on google Net2EZ  is one of the badies hitting me hard with only having winmx running on primary ?

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 05:02:56 pm »
Peerguardian is only as good as the lists it uses.

Our blocklist is always up to date and accurate because we maintain it ourselves and it contains only those IP's currently hitting the network.
Please keep in mind that pg2 blocks before stuff even reaches winmx.

The usual PG2 lists are blocking about half the internet because most tend to add stuff fairly quickly but never take it out.
If using winmx with PG and the blutack p2p list you can expect being blocked from accessing caches and even this site as at some point it had been classified being "antip2p" - go figure.
Also a lot of rooms might be inaccessible because their IP range made it into some list maybe ages ago.

Generally speaking we do NOT :no: recommend using pg2 with winmx anymore because
a) our blocking system is way superior and doesn't use half as many recources
and
b) we think that most lists are crap and some of the people running them are not to be trusted.

If you're using winmx on primary with our community patch you can see it doing it's job by looking at the number of blocked connections (BC=) in your status bar.
And do I even have to mention that our patch also is able to inspect the actual traffic and filter out falsified search results (FSR=) which pg2 can't do at all?  :yes:

As for using pg2 with other p2p that would be up to you but in my experience most lists block way too much genuine traffic.

LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:15:50 pm »
What on earth is this ip range its hitting my winmx port 6699  iam on primary and its showing every second in peergurdian, i havent seen flooding like this since the problem with the wcs flooding!  when winmx is off it stops turn it back on and bam of it goes again

Net2EZ  72.172.91*
Net2EZ  72.172.89*

Offline nylly444

• WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 07:23:10 pm »
It's 2 of the IP ranges MediaDefender uses - they're in our Blocklist as well.

Would be more effective letting the patch take care of it instead of wasting system recources to let pg2 handle it :P

Offline birdman

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 07:39:37 pm »
Oh i see, i thought the flooders etc were blocked at server level not at pc level duno why i thought that sorry lol  that explains why iam seeing the above then thnx

Offline nylly444

• WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 07:51:29 pm »
No use blocking them at server level - they're not necessarily using our caches to connect, lol.

And like I said before - the BC= numbers in your status bar should steadily go up as those are the number of blocked connections when you're on primary.
On secondary you're normally protected by your primary and won't see any blocked connections at all.

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 05:14:56 am »
There is much I do not understand in this subject, but after reading the above I'd like to ask: If I'm on a secondary connected to a primary who is using Peer Guardian, will I find that potentially good peers are blocked from searching by the PG-using primary? Would I be better off becoming a primary?

There are times when I connect and activity is very quiet indeed, and I don't know if that is normal at that time or if there is a blockage of some kind.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 09:35:53 am »
If you are connected to a non dll primary running Peerguardian you will notice nothing much other than it maybe running a little slow if their lists are crap. As the flooders use up that primary's resources to flood the network. Technically the chances of you landing on a hostfile primary now is extremely low. As their are not many left and are also usually full the whole time that they are on-line if they are unprotected, and fully protected ones are extremely rare. Also PG2 can only block UDP/TCP connections, IE the initial connection. Searches are spread via Primary's and all the information is in encrypted data, PG2 can not see this information so can not interfere with what search results you get.

If you are secondary their is a way to tell if you are connected to non dll primary. And that is your FSR=. If you are on secondary you will notice that this has probably never gone up. An the reason for this is that you have been connected to protected primary. The protected primary handles all the filtering of searches for you and only transfers good results to you. But a non patched primary obviously doesn't do this so your patch would kick in and filter the results for you and you FSR= would increase. Really i would be pretty surprised if any of you have ever seen FSR= go up on secondary and its really a testament as to how many are running the new patch.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 04:01:43 am »
I would just say that I use pg2 with utorrent but the only list I use is the WMW blocklist at https://www.winmxworld.com/files/block_list.txt . On a lot of newer files I can see that it blocked a lot of antip2p activity. Older stuff not so much or not at all. I would say you'd be perfectly safe doing so but even I know that there is always a chance that I take downloading off utorrent with ANY list so I say use at your own risk. As for pg2 with winmx and the community patch it's completely unneeded. Good luck.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 04:51:41 am »
No. PG is just a slow way to do the exact same thing a firewall will do.
A firewall doesnt bother looking up the domains and logging it and all that, it just does one thing, block programmed connections as quickly as possible.
And most already have the firewall part, just use the list and type them in.
If ya want, add more later. PG blocks too many things that are not involved, slowing it down even more.

Offline MinersLantern

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 06:57:20 am »
These ahem.. 'people' get on my nerves.
204.252.16.0-204.252.31.255,216.66.0.0-216.66.95.255
Holyoke Gas & Electric Department
Eternal and neverending constant attempts to connect at one hundred trillion miles per hour. They try then vanish, so fast that the firewall, patch or whatever does nothing. Once the search is made and block attempted by the blocking software they are already gone. A waste of cpu cycles. Who is Holyoke Gas & Electric Department?
I don't know, but I bet they have little to do with selling electricity or gas (except the gas from their buttcheeks) :P
Netlimiter, software that is not free, shows such network antics like connection requests at 10 times a second, that disappear so fast that even a hardware linux firewall cannot block them totally. I use 'currports' (freeware) to see things like net2ez making a bunch of connections from similar ips (a thing that is as likely as permanent middle east peace, on winmx) when I go primary. Strangeness like that can be easily detected and then blocked when you can see every connection and its lookup at once.
They can change ips all they want to, the flooders, etc. Then get their little selfs firewalled. Once you have been monitoring all connections and watching for persistant weird activity then blocking the ips (I prefer ranges) its surprising how few changes you have to make later on. Sure they change ips, but changing isps is a more costly thing, which they dont seem to be interested in wasting more money on.
No effect on fake files of course, but the flooder secondaries go away and staying connected as a primary more permanently without freezing or lagging winmx is much easier. Side benefit I guess, would be the dll doesnt have to spend time on blocked conns when a firewall eliminates them before winmx sees them, making winmx less likely to lag. Thats for normal flooders.
The 'gas company' is something i've never found any technology to block, not even the hardware linux built into the modem itself blocks it, or more correctly, its effects.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Third Party Stuff  |  Other Software  |  Peergurdian 2 yes or no ?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx