gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76784 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: Arnold99 September 01, 2024, 12:01:57 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Information Exchange  |  XP, Vista dual boot
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: XP, Vista dual boot  (Read 3480 times)

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
XP, Vista dual boot
« on: September 21, 2008, 04:26:06 pm »
As most of you know I was dualbooting XP and Vista. Some of you know I even went straight Vista. What most do not know what all the issues I ran into removing the XP from my system with the Vista on there. Used to when you dualbooted XP with any lesser OS like Win2K or Win98 the boot loader was written into XP's boot section. So technically all you had to do was remove/delete the lower OS and remove that OS's entry from the boot.ini for XP to move up. This is not the case when dualbooting any OS with Vista. Vista's bootloader is written into the older OS's boot section. I found this out the hard way. When I formatted the drive with XP on it I was unable to boot into just the Vista. The repair section on the Vista disk proved to be useless to repair it because it was looking for the boot file in the XP which had been deleted. What I tried next was somewhat genius I remember thinking.  :educated: Until I did it. I dualbooted Vista with Vista trying to just try to get into my already established and good running setup of Vista.  8) At this time please keep in mind Window's EULA states "only one copy is valid", so instantly as I booted into the old established setup I get this notification that this copy of Windows Vista is not a Genuine Windows Product and will be reduced to lower functionality only allowing me to boot to Internet Explorer and redirecting to Window's site where I am offered a kit for $191 to validate this copy of Windows Vista Ultimate. Anyway to shorten this story up I ended up completely reformatting both drives and then installing a fresh setup of Vista and going from there. Hopefully my little tale can save others the time and trouble. Good day.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

WinMX World :: Forum  |  PC Aid Station  |  Information Exchange  |  XP, Vista dual boot

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.007 seconds with 20 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx