gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 07:17:02 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  LinkSys Wireless Router - Hosting Help Needed!!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: LinkSys Wireless Router - Hosting Help Needed!!!!  (Read 8797 times)

Nina

LinkSys Wireless Router - Hosting Help Needed!!!!
« on: September 21, 2008, 09:23:43 pm »
Hi Guys,

I have just moved from Australia to NZ and my flat mate has a LinkSys WRT54G Wireless router. I am a Co-Host and have been unable to get a room up that ppl can get into. I have configured the ports on the router etc but I need an acutal port number to use to connect through in my Configs. 

I had the same problem back home - fortunately i found someone who had the same router as me so they gave me their port number and hey presto it was up and running!!!

So if anyone out there knows a good port number that should work for hosting on this router or knows someone who might know PLZ send em this way or into Movies & Music Maximum on Winmx - Bully is our host!

Thanks so much for your help :)

Cheers,
Nina xx

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
Re: LinkSys Wireless Router - Hosting Help Needed!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 05:07:42 am »
Hi Nina,

Im slightly confused hun about your post because Chat Servers can use any port that you assign them, the important details however are:

-The port is entered into the Config file of the chat server program.
-The same port is then also listed in any firewalls, or software protection running that requires opening a port.
-The same port is used for the configuration of the Linksys, and also that the Linksys rules made point to a specific IP address on the LAN. 

---Which you can locate by doing:
---Start > Run > type in           cmd
---Then say OK
---In the new black box that appears now type         ipconfig /all
---Lots of imformation will show up, the IP Address is what you need to make the rules go to
---**Note: Linksys routers are famous for reassigning new ips upon boot up, so its a good idea to also write down your DNS ---Server IPs at this time in order to help you set up a static IP on the Computer you plan to host with.
---( https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/static_ip.html    --guide for XP)

Once these requirements are all met you should have no problem hosting the room :D

Nina

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 10:22:50 am »
Hi Me Here

The port is entered into the Config file is where I am falling over.  Back home in Australia - I set up all my ports in my router but had to use a specific port number in my configs to be able to get the room accessible.

Please forgive my ignorance, I've only been on MX for about 8months and was co-hosting back home for about 1 and a half months. But, just to get this clear in my head and make sure I have understood correctly, I can use pretty much any number as the Port number in the Configs - as long as I use the same port number in the Linksys router setup...Is that right?

Again please forgive my ignorance - Im still quite new to all this :)

Thanks so much for your fast response too! Really appreciate all your help!!

Nina x

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:36:23 pm »
There is NO reason to appologize at all Nina we all learn and start somewhere, I just tend to like to explain as much as possible so you can be... well empowered  :-D        but the ability to only use one port did confuse me...

Yes you are correct that is exactly what Im saying.  Any port, match it up every where   :)

Ashley

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 07:10:56 am »
I also have the same kind of router, I have forwarded my ports on my windows firewall and I have the router forwarded.. I have the ports in my config for my rooms, but it still won't let anyone in my room... No one seems to be able to help me with this....

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 11:24:20 pm »
Hi Ashley,

Can you give us some details on what chat server you're using and which windows.

What have you tried allready?

Offline ']['affy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 01:20:08 am »
has the router got a firewall, if so have u forwarded the ip to go with the ports u've forwarded?

Offline topmaster61

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 03:08:06 pm »
Ok I was having the same problem. It is often a mixture of bad port forwarding and bad chat servers. If you are using windows firewall you do not have to turn it off. If using XP go to control panel, double click windows firewall then click on the exceptions tab.

If the chat server you are using is already in the list hilight it and delete. No make sure the box saying "Dispay a notification when windows firewall blocks a program. Now when you start up the chat server of your choice windows firewall pops up asking if you want to block or allow that program, click unblock and you have now allowed it in your firewall.

Some of the chat servers do not always show up in the room listings and even when they do they may not allow access to the public user. It took me 4 days of trial and error but I now can host and let people in my chat server.

I found that Ouka worked but many of their versions did not. I am now using version 580a. Works a treat. Now you have to use a port that actually works. I am now using port 6697 as advised by a member on here.OK now you have to allow that port in your router an place in your static ip that you should of made in the ip box. 192.168.0.105 for example. If you have not configured a static IP then go to command prompt and type in ipconfig/all. that will show you the ip that is is assigning to that computer, you need the one that does not end in 1, like 192.168.0.103.  whatever it is that is going to be the ip you add in your router after filling out the port boxes.

In most cases you can put the same port on the incoming and outgoing boxes You can also go to windows firewall and delete winmx if it is already in there and then exit winmx so when you start up again the firewall will again ask you if you want to block or unblock winmx. Obviously click unblock. This will save you having to add everything manually. If you are in vista or windows 7 then maybe another forum member can advise you of the procedure but it is basicly the same thing you need to do.
Good luck with your room.

Offline topmaster61

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 03:12:06 pm »
I meant If the chat server you are using is already in the list hilight it and delete. Now make sure the box saying "Dispay a notification when windows firewall blocks a program" is ticked.  Now when you start up the chat server of your choice windows firewall pops up asking if you want to block or allow that program, click unblock and you have now allowed it in your firewall.

Offline topmaster61

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 03:16:09 pm »
oOh and of course turn of your router firewall if it has one

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 08:21:42 pm »
Old thread, Topmaster, Ashley is likely long gone, but...
I would beg to differ on turning off the router firewall, it's a better protection, and its that firewall you are opening ports in when you do a forward.
Windows firewall is not as safe, not the one I would rely on
As a qualified Tech, the windows firewall does not impress me, so even tho it nags and frets, turn it off.
If you have more than 1 net-connected PC, the router firewall will be protecting all from the ravages of the net, you really would only need the windows firewall if there is another PC on your LAN that you don't wanna trust, for whatever reason
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

Offline topmaster61

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 10:08:29 pm »
yea I realized it was an old thread after sending all those posts lol. However i was using norton 360 firewall and also Kaspersky that i highly rate but it kept sayinng database corrupted so i started to use windows firewall again.

I find using windows firewall in conjunction with malwarebytes has kept me pretty safe. I agree that it is always better to keep the router firewall on but so many have problems with it turned on.

Offline topmaster61

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 10:09:55 pm »
While we are here have you any idea why eserv will never connect?

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 11:53:38 pm »
perhaps start a new thread in the chat server section

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  LinkSys Wireless Router - Hosting Help Needed!!!!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx