gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 20, 2024, 12:21:05 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  weird character name on list
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: weird character name on list  (Read 14033 times)

user

weird character name on list
« on: August 16, 2011, 09:38:51 pm »
Is there suppose to be "REN" in front of admin when i go to chat room. i dont see it, only some weird character.

Offline Bieb

• Forum Member
Re: weird character name on list
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:52:34 pm »
®ÊN is a tag for a movie chat room. A lot of chat rooms on the network have their own tags that members can put before/after/in their usernames so other members of that chat room can be identified.

® is the standard symbol for registered trademark:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_trademark_symbol

WinMX currently only uses a one byte encoding rather than a more modern multi-byte encoding such as UTF-8 that allows many more characters.

A full list of what you can use on WinMX:

http://www.alanwood.net/demos/ansi.html

Please note that characters between 0x7F and 0xA2 do not display in chat rooms but will show up on the chat room list and user lists.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:36:25 am »
finally someone calls it ansi instead of ascii....

interestingly the windows version of ansi (cp 1251/2) makes it hell to try and view ansi art that was created in dos (cp 437)..... ....it gets even more confusing with macos classic.... lol...

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 12:38:26 pm »
what i don't understand is if computer can't show them correctly why would people put it there. The screen look messy. I dont know if it just my pc, so i post pic here. Is there anyway to fix it?

img217.imageshack.us/img217/5454/pic1fj.png

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 01:18:49 pm »
whoa um.. have you ever tried changing the font to japanese or other asian font? or is this how winmx has always shown to you?

do note that if you use an east asian font (like japanese) with winmx the font itself will think that the ansi is a dual-byte encoding called shift-jis which will make things very messy when viewing an english room that has users with codepage 1251/2 ansi characters in their names....

the fix is to reset winmx to its default fonts -- however if english is not your native language and you chat in japanese language rooms you wont see the asian character set correctly (you wont see it at all actually.. it would be a mishmash of 1251 and blank boxes) .... this is where the lack of unicode support shows its ugly side... you can pick only one language to show (correctly) at a time..

i dont remember the default fonts for winmx so another will have to fill in the infos for that one should you wish to reset it without loosing your other settings....

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 09:02:07 pm »
This had been always the same for me. I didnt change the font, and to double I check on Setting -> Reset language to English.

i not sure but one of the people in the chat room said they are using "fancy letter". They are chatting in english.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 10:17:57 pm »
is the version of windows you are using english?

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 02:25:40 am »
It is fixed. Under Regional Options tab, Standards and formats  is "English (United States)", Location is United States, and Advance tab Language for non-Unicode programs is another language.

If i create a text file, it will be auto name as "New Text Document.txt"

Anyway i follow this guide answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/431563.html
I post link just in case someone have the same problem.

Now i can see the "®ÊN", but on the chat room list there still some chat room character is unknown to me. Maybe it a language i don't understand. When i went to a chat room what does "@" and "+" next to user mean?

WinMX can only be used under English and will it ever support other languages?

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 03:22:24 am »
winmx can support other languages... but only one 'properly' at a time... winmx was made when windows95 was still common so its not going to have multilanguage support like you see it in software today...

since frontcode, the maker of winmx,  nolonger exsists there wont be any further updates to 'winmx' itself... 3rd party clones may come along that will eventually support unicode to allow displaying more than one language properly at a time.... ....tho i wouldnt hold my breath for that one...

@ next to a name is an admin + next to a name i think is a moderator.... ive forgotten... but that is the program itself adding those characters to the name...

is good you found a fix cos i was honestly getting very baffled at this one...

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 03:25:01 am »
WinMX can only be used under English and will it ever support other languages?

It already does.

please see the text files here that will need to be included in your winmx folder if your native tongue is not English

httpss://archive.winmxworld.com/WinMX%20Language%20Files/

As Stripes indicated above, your windows machine will need to be set to your native language to get the best out of the relevant language files.

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/winmx_change_language.html

For Japanese users further changes are required to make sense of some of the chat rooms and search results

https://www.winmxworld.com/tutorials/winmx_japanese_language.html

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  Chat Issues  |  weird character name on list

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx