gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever April 16, 2024, 07:55:03 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  The WinMX Community Needs YOUR Help!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The WinMX Community Needs YOUR Help!  (Read 4446 times)

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
The WinMX Community Needs YOUR Help!
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:26:22 pm »
We need to spread the word, WinMX is back, united and hungry to return our community to its rightful place. To do this, we need to publicize WinMX all over the world, and for that we need your help.

I'm sure we have many many WinMX users that are regular posters on other forums, perhaps not WinMX or even p2p related, well we need to reach as many people as possible, so we need your help! If you feel you can post one of the messages below on a forum you are already an established member of, then please do, you will be helping the WinMX community expand!

Please do not just join random forums and post these messages, they are likely to get deleted as spam, and we have no desire to spam random forums. We are only looking for established forum and blog members to help us raise the profile of WinMX across the world!
If you can help, please select one of the pre-written texts below and posts it on your regular forums!

Forum post long:

Title:  WinMX, a p2p community success story!

In 2005 the creators of the WinMX file sharing application allegedly under pressure from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), shut down the WinMX peer cache servers used to connect users to the network. Millions of users were left stranded and unable to connect. The WinMX network provides not only the ability to share files and media with other users but a diverse and interesting online chat community.

Was this the end of WinMX ? not even close, soon after the shut down, teams of WinMX users worked together to launch their own servers and connnection patches,  and after a long struggle the Winmx network is indeed back and on the road to being better than ever.

This week marks the third anniversary of the shut down, and WinMX users intend to celebrate with a brand new connection patch for WinMX that will see RIAA sponsored flooders kicked off the network, and the network growing in numbers by the day!

This new patch offers an array of great features and unlike some previous patches, is simple and quick to install on all operating systems. At the last estimate WinMX had climbed back to over 500,000 users and with this step forward in patch design its likely we will see the two main goals acheived, namely the return of the network to its former size (several million) and the removal of the fake files flooded onto so many p2p network by Riaa agent companies.

You can get the latest patch and information at these WinMX support sites: Winmxconex | Winmxworld | Community Patch information or here Acid-Lounge.com | Mxpie.com | Vladd44.com

Forum post short:

Title:  WinMX users celebrate 3rd anniversary with NEW WinMX Community Patch!

Three long years after the Riaa led cartel pressurized WinMX operators frontcode to shut down, WinMX users can now celebrate with a great new fully featured WinMX community patch. Users from the main WinMX groups have worked together to support patch coder Eagle in producing a new and improved WinMX patch, we urge all current WinMX users to update to this new superior offering,and help kick the cartels flooders off the network!

The WinMX community would also like to welcome new users to its number, please feel free to visit the support sites and download this great software and patch.

You can get the latest patch and information at these WinMX support sites: Winmxconex | Winmxworld | Community Patch information or here Acid-Lounge.com | Mxpie.com | Vladd44.com

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
Re: The WinMX Community Needs YOUR Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 12:49:45 am »
From tomorrow folks its our intention to get the creative folks to work on bringing in as many avatars and banners as we can round up for you all to use in places where its not possible to post an ad, if you feel like making one or two go right ahead all will be welcome but keep your eye on this thread for interesting and pretty advertising materials also if you have a particular spot to fill dimension wise and need something custom made drop us a line and we,ll see what can be done to accomodate you.

Cheers folks  8)

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
  • Your call is important to us ...
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 05:42:50 am »
Places where I post can be touchy about banners or avatars that promote other things, so may I suggest that some of these should be made somewhat small and look slick and professional to convey the impression of quality, with a brief blurb of mx's best features. For example, perhaps an avatar saying, 'WinMX - flood-free p2p file sharing' might work, or 'WinMX - resurgent!' or 'WinMX - p2p music at your fingertips!' or 'WinMX - file sharing made easy' or 'WinMX - community file sharing for today'. I'm sure more could be devised by anyone who has a commercial advertising turn of mind.

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 08:30:22 am »
I see a lot of these very small and flat benners saying things like "firefox user" etc in people's signatures on other forums, some of them gif's with several different ones flashing - I think we need one for winmx, anyone?
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 09:47:11 am »
@nylly; those thin images are from userbars.org -- anyone out there good with photoshop care to add to that sites collection? ;)

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 11:59:54 am »
right this page is about to get busy... lol

The banners below are made by me, not exactly what those your talking about are, and i'll look into some like those as well.  Not that I need be the only one doing some of these and if anyone does some and want them hosted here just let me know.

You can adjust, move, resize, download, re use these in any way you see fit.

https://www.winmxworld.com/files/banner-borg.gif

https://www.winmxworld.com/files/banner-community1.gif

https://www.winmxworld.com/files/banner-get_involved.gif

https://www.winmxworld.com/files/banner-community2.png

https://www.winmxworld.com/files/banner-community3.png

Offline nylly444

• WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 12:03:56 pm »
I know quite some forums who'd never allow one of those although they're all great.

The small and unobtrusive userbars are usually permitted though, so I'd really like one of those.
Unfortunatly I'm the completely wrong person for this as I'm totally unimaginative about things like that, hehe...

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 12:41:52 pm »
They are good. I like them all. :D :D :D
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 02:23:30 pm »
I checked out that site Stripes posted, and am not willing to download or install thier software.  I am however playing with the general idea of this and will post more later of some smaller even then this one, and more along the lines of community patch related, or the likes of winmx being alive and well etc...

This one is larger of the two standard sizes i found  468x60 and the smaller size i'll work on some today is usually 350x19. Does that sound right?

https://www.winmxworld.com/files/userbar-winmxconex.png
*EDIT*
https://www.winmxworld.com/files/userbar-winmx-sharing.png

Smaller version Its sure hard to fit much info on one of these.. LOL

My question though is this, are any of these animated or are they usually standard staic jpg or png ? or maybe the question should be what would we prefer?

Offline Cobra

• Forum Member
  • I'm not me.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 08:31:22 pm »
Me Here,

A standard userbar is 350 pixels wide by 19 pixels tall. The other size that you found may be a "banner", but it is not a userbar. Userbars are usually saved in .png or .gif format (Not .jpeg! EW! Compression hell!). They can be animated but are usually not and typically contain only a picture on the left side and a few words on the right in block-like lettering or in a font used by the cpmpany.

The purpose of a userbar is to show affiliation, not to convey information! A WinMX-related userbar might have the WinMX logo taking up one-third of the left side and "WinMX User" on the right in block letters. That's all.

I recreated the WinMX logo a few days ago in case I use it for a project because I got tired of the resaved, low quality image that I keep seeing around. I might be able to create a few userbars, but again they aren't intended to contain slogans or things like "Download the new patch now!".

As for what I have been doing for WinMX, I am telling old friends who gave up on WinMX in the past to give it another try. I mention that it has grown and about the new patch, and so far at least one has come back and found files that he says he has not been able to find anywhere else.

When someone uploads from me, I also send them a message (I keep it stored but not activated in my Auto-Responder so that it is easy to find) letting them know about the new patch. I have already received several "Thanks, I had no idea." replies.
Downloading is an addiction I do not want to give up.

Offline White Stripes

• Core
  • Je suis aimé
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 11:46:48 pm »
@mh;

where did you get that bar you are using now??

there are no links to it in this thread (mind if i snarf it?)

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 01:30:41 am »
Thanks Cobra for the information duly noted, might be hard for me as Im sorta long winded about things like this .. as you prolly know  :oops:

So i'll try my best to keep it to a minimum..

Stripes the one in my sig was a test really and until i heard back from someone about how this should be layed out avoided posting them, and the double post i would have had to make when i finished it being my winded self lol  so here are a few i did earlier and same rules apply use and abuse all you like link to these upload them what ever you like
user bars:
https://www.winmxworld.com/files/userbar-sky.png
https://www.winmxworld.com/files/userbar-winmx-sharing.png
banner:
https://www.winmxworld.com/files/banner-blessedbe.png
huge large pic for the ell of it :P
https://www.winmxworld.com/files/banner-thumbone.gif

The following are made by MacDaddy with same rules use abuse enjoy post upload what ever... I'm sure I told him to post these links lol so he gets full credit for the following:

https://www.winmxworld.com/files/userbar-winmxworld1.jpg
https://www.winmxworld.com/files/userbar-winmxworld2.jpg

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 05:23:38 am »
I really quite like the first one but I suspect the third one would actually scare some people away from trying mx, as it makes mx look like it might be an occult site.

Offline TheMacDaddy

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 07:43:44 am »
Well last nite i took time to try and build my own banners  (Photoshop First Timer lol)
But i didnt do to bad
So i added my banner to my name on 3 big sites i visit on a regular basisand also made a post stating Winmx was still going strong.
So with this said i have now reached a group of the 3 sites combined totaling 250,000 users   :P
How good it does and how many take up Winmx again remains to be seen
But in my eyes its a step in the right direction   

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 08:39:10 am »
Excellent work, this is exactly the sort of creativity we need to let joe public know winmx is back and with a bang

Keep em coming folks, I,ll post mine this weekend after I have finished work  :)

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 11:13:16 am »
Hey lets not discriminate against Wiccans now, I'm sure lots of them use WinMX    :lol:

Offline Trestor

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 04:36:34 pm »
Hey lets not discriminate against Wiccans now, I'm sure lots of them use WinMX    :lol:

Truthfully, I'm not keen on offending anyone. My comment was a description of my impression of the one banner, which (if I was a person who hadn't heard of mx before) would have scared me off from trying it because things like that spook me. It's fair to say I don't think a Christian theme would convey the idea of what mx is about either.
But please don't be troubled by my comment, as it was of no great significance. I'm only interested that mx is presented as professional and a great place to be. Actually, I quite like the quality of your artwork, both here and in a recent competition in which you got my vote. :)

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 04:40:49 pm »
 :kiss:

Offline GhostShip

• WMW Team
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 02:51:23 am »
Ok here is something I was able to whip up quickly, its called my avatar creating kit   :-D

https://www.winmxworld.com/files/avatar-mxcommunity-base.png
https://www.winmxworld.com/files/avatar-mxcommunity-cat.png
https://www.winmxworld.com/files/avatar-mxcommunity-pirate.png

Basically I have created a few templates of 100x 100 size for use on forums , the simple bit you do is to create the top half for yourself , these should be acceptable and get a few folks asking what its all about into the bargain .

The zip file below has the templates in and some further examples for folks to get the idea.

Offline nylly444

• WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 10:51:38 am »
I love these, nice work QS :D

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  The WinMX Community Needs YOUR Help!

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx