gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 29, 2024, 12:50:22 am
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  WinMX still flashing yellow after steps 1-3!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WinMX still flashing yellow after steps 1-3!  (Read 3382 times)

Flip

WinMX still flashing yellow after steps 1-3!
« on: October 01, 2008, 06:47:32 am »
Hi,

All of a sudden in the last 3-4 days, WinMX has not been able to connect and keeps flashing yellow. I came on to the site and dutifully followed steps 1-3, so WinMX is allowed in my firewall, Outgoing TCP is set to not use a Proxy server and I reinstalled the patch. However, no joy.

I am on Windows Vista, have been for over a year and WinMX has been working fine until a few days ago. After installing the patch it now says - on the top of my WinMX window-:   WinMX Community Patch 1.0 - Thanks Eagle <FSR=0 BC=0>

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Flip

Re: WinMX still flashing yellow after steps 1-3!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 06:57:25 am »

P.S I'm on WinMX v 3.54 beta 4

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 08:14:44 am »
Can you confirm you ran the full patch installer or did you use the patch only d/l ?

Some folks have been having trouble with old settings being left about from old installs so if you havent already, create a new folder and reload the full winmx and patch install into it and let us know how that goes , the important thing is not to use the old folder for this experiment .

Flip

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:29:58 am »
Hi,

I  chose the first option on this link:-    https://patch.winmxconex.com/

I already had the oledlg patch in my folder and now I have two, one in lowercase and one in capitals. Should I delete the older one and see what happens? Or delete them both and reinstall it? Or as you say uninstall WinMX totally and reinstall it again?

Should I try all of these in order or just jump to option 3? ;-)

Thanks!

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:48:05 am »
Remove them both and use the installer to reinstall patch only it wont touch your winmx and I can see no need to uninstall winmx,  Delete both patch files and then re run the installer.  Post back and let us know.

Flip

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 11:58:21 am »
Still not connecting.  :(

Try uninstall-reinstall?

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 02:45:24 pm »
What firewalls do you use Flip?

Flip

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 09:16:47 am »
Norton 360. But it was working fine until recently and nothing on the computer has changed. Or at least nothing that I am aware of...

Flip

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 09:29:18 am »
I have also uninstalled and then reinstalled WinMX (Same version, 3.54b4) but even then it's not connecting. :-(

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 11:41:37 am »
ok this does seem odd, infact so odd maybe its not you at all but your ISP is blocking access to WinMX, they wouldnt be the first and if that is the case id be for explaining how they have broken the contract with me and take my wallet else where if its possible for you to get other service.

But we wont jump to that conclusion yet...

Right first thing is to remove WinMX from the Norton completely from allowed programs.  Then shut of WinMX.  Now just for shits and giggles as they say.. lets make sure something has not turned the Vista Firewall back on (as it should be off since nortons is running).  Be sure the Vista Firewall is set to Disabled.
Then make sure (if your verison of Vista has Windows Defender) that WinMX is listed as allowed in that.

Then restart WinMX and see if the flashing continues, of course Nortons is going to ask 'shall we allow this program net access' and you need to say yes.

*EDIT**  in thinking about this also something else I remember helping a person with this issue about a year ago they also had Norton, and there was a spam, email, or spyware type of protection with Nortons, it may have even been a type of system file protection, ( sorry I cant recall the name) that when uninstalled or turned off fixed this issue, possibly a nortons update has included this feature for you?  Try investigating some of the features of your Nortons and experiment with disabling some of those types of services?

Flip

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 05:45:35 am »
Hi, firstly, thanks for the help, really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to help me out.

Windows Defender and Firewall are disabled due to Norton 360, I  checked that. Removed WinMX from Norton and restarted. Although Norton did not ask me whether to allow the programme to run, I checked the Norton settings and it was 'Custom' as it used to be.

I also tried something else - about half a year ago, I had difficulty accessing a few sites that I used to visit regularly - the guardian F1 weblog. Then hotmail wouldn't open I did call our service provider and they said something about heavy traffic and asked me to put in a proxy server in the Internet Explorer Options of Connection, LAN settings. Ever since then I have had no problem with those sites. I did uncheck that box as well to see if it made a difference to WinMX but although I can't access the weblog again with it unchecked, it didn't seem to affect WinMX.

Should I try and phone them? What exactly would I say - I cannot access my p2p (I think!) music site? Somehow I'm not sure that would be the best thing to say ;-)

Offline TheMacDaddy

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 07:10:11 am »
Just a quick question here Flip and forgive me if i have already missed it...
But are you on a router ?  and if yes which one ?

Offline Me Here

• WMW Team
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 11:47:08 am »
Routers wont cause flashing yellow and although we may need that info to get things working later.. for now I think we should find what caused this.

WinMX has a thriving chat community, and they are blocking your access to it.  WinMX can be used and is used for freeware files, sharing your grannies christmas videos and your own photos.  P2p is not illegal.

So yes you can call them and ask them what the hell they did to your WinMX.    :lol: :lol:

Seriously just ask if they are blocking access based on 'programs your using'. 

This is illegal btw so dont be surprised if they try to attmept a run around on you, or the other way they usually act is to read you the riot act about what a selfish bastid you are for wanting to use your bandwith you pay for such intense bandwidth use programs like a p2p, (lets face it, its not about the content, its about the fact that they sell high speed broad band then complain when you want to use it for more then web surfing or email) because you shouldn't be thinking of yourself but of the ISP who has over sold thier ability to deliever speeds, and now what you to suffer for it.
</end rant>

Call em they cant kill ya or eat ya... lol  let us know what they say, maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 12:00:27 pm »
I did call our service provider and they said something about heavy traffic and asked me to put in a proxy server in the Internet Explorer Options of Connection, LAN settings. Ever since then I have had no problem with those sites.

If putting in a proxy server in IE helped it might just be worth trying it in winmx as well...

It's usually a bad idea as it will slow down things in most cases and most connections can't even us a proxy so it will fail completely.
Since your isp gave you the proxy information for IE though it's worth a try.

Try copying down the proxy information in IE and put it in the appropriate fields in WinMx in >settings>Outgoing TCP connections

Also you could call the ISP and ask if these proxy settings can be used for other internet services in general as well, without the explicit mentioning of p2p or winmx though maybe...
Yours might be one of the very few cases where it might actually be necessary to use a proxy although we can't say it often enough that generally it's a bad idea.
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Flip

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 05:53:09 am »
Hi,

Not really sure what a 'router' is or how to find it. However, the good news - WinMX has decided to start working again. All on it's own.

Thanks a million for your time and your help. Really.

X F

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  WinMX still flashing yellow after steps 1-3!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx