gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76775 Posts in 13501 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever May 04, 2024, 07:09:44 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  WinMX Community Patch: Known Issues
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: WinMX Community Patch: Known Issues  (Read 28766 times)

Offline Me Here

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
  • We came, We Saw, We definitely Kicked Ass!
WinMX Community Patch: Known Issues
« on: October 11, 2008, 05:18:38 pm »
Known Issues

First let me say that as many here know this isn't my first patch rodeo so to speak.  We have been through a few of these and never in our history has a release been so problem free as this.  Its refreshing and well, at first was a bit scary, but now just a wonderful thing to see so few problems.

Now of course there have been some reports of some minor issues and I'd like to cover those here and the respective cures we've found.

1)  The first is an actual bug that was discovered with users on RCMS. 
Symptom: Users with RCMS installed were seeing multiple listings in the chat user list of the same user.  Everytime a user left and re entered the lists contained both user names.
Cause:  The WinMX Community Patch has code in it, to handle a bug known in WinMX, where by a redirect in a certain condition could cause WinMX to crash.  RCMS was unable to handle the style in which the Community Patch handed the data to it, there for caused the information to be lost that a user was to be removed from the user list.
Cure:  Eagle made a special version of the dll for RCMS users where by the protective code has been disabled.  Because he reason for the code to be in place is for protection of a known issue, he decided a general disabling would be determental, so for RCMS users experiencing this issue there is a special download available from all download mirror sites.

The rest of this list is problems that users noticed after updating to the WinMX Community Patch.

2)  Problems with ports.
A--UPnP auto forwarding, caused conflict with manually opened port rules.
Symptom: Although most routers that have uPnP ability, can have ports set both ways, some do not allow the identical port numbers to be used for both, thus causing a conflict between rules in the router.
Cure: Use one or the other method.  If you previously had ports set up in your Modem/Routers, then disable the uPnP in the patch, go to your Program Files\WinMX folder.  Locate the file named 'oledlg.ini' and open this with notepad. Find the line that says '/enableupnp 1' change this '1' to '0' to disable upnp, save the file and close.  Recheck your manual rules are still in place, and restart WinMX.

B--UPnP not working.
Symptom:  Even though some routers have an option for uPnP in the configuration interface, some ISP issued Modem/Routers have this feature disabled. We found a small amount of users were simply unable to use this feature regardless of enabling it or not, due to the ISP disabling it in the firmware.
Cure:  Manually forward your ports instead or use Passive Secondary mode in WinMX.

C--Ports not working, or settings changed in WinMX due to non default installation of WinMX previously.
Symptom: Having to run through the set up wizard, even though you already had WiNMX installed.  Loosing settings like favorites, port settings, and rebuilding of library, among other settings.  More then one 'shortcut' for WinMX on desktop or start menu.
Cure:  Do a Search for your previous WinMX installation, by searching the machine for say 'winmx.exe' files or 'settings.dat' files.  Find the location of the previous install, copy your settings.dat & lib4.dat or library.dat files into the proper new installation folder, remove the old files/folder and shortcut. This should reset your ports and library to what it was previously.

D--Set up Wizard runs, or reinstall of MX when starting.
Symptom: The WinMX set up wizard runs through the installation process with you, when you restart your WinMX.  This is actually not an uncommon thing if you have a computer crash or sudden shut down of WinMX, however this cure is for users with MXMonitor running on a different drive then WinMX is located.  The WinMX Community Patch looks for winmx.exe when it starts and if it doesn't find this file, it assumes that you have used MXMonitor to start MX.  If the two are on different drives like say
C:\Program Files\WinMX &
E:\WinMX Tools\MxMonitor
It confuses the the patch file, and has caused at least one person to go through the set up wizard on start up of MX via MxMonitor.
Cure: Close both WinMX and MxMonitor down, Move the entire MxMonitor folder and its contents to the same Drive and Folder as WinMX is located (default is C:\Program Files ).
You may also need to re make your desktop short cuts as the path for MxMoni will have changed, once the MxMonitor folder is moved, Go to the desk top and delete the current shortcut for MxMonitor.  Open the MxMonitor folder you moved, Right click on the mxmonitor.exe file and choose 'Send to...'  then choose Desktop Create Shortcut.

3) Problems with Connection.
A--No Network connection after update, flashing yellow.
Symptom:  Updated WinMX or the patch and no longer can connect, getting flashing yellow.
Cure: Quite often this is because a firewall program installed has blocked the connection, they are designed to protect against changes made within a program so that it can not be hijacked as a trojan. Go to the firewall settings, remove WinMX, close WinMX, and restart.  When the firewall asks say Yes to allow it full access.

B--Using the 'patch only' download and dropping it into your existing WinMX folder.
Symptom: Various things from old patches still in place to old registry entries in place.
We as regular MX users are well trained in the art of updating MX, and in the past this site has always carried a 'patch only' with installer, this is no longer the case and we are seeing lots of users with various issues because they grabbed the 'dll only' file available for linux users. 
Cure:  Please if you have done this and are having 'ANY' issues with your WinMX, go back to the download site  https://patch.winmxconex.com and get one of the installers for your WinMX Version.  I can not stress enough how important it is to let the installer do what it is designed to do for you, that is remove old patches, remove/fix old registry entries, check your WinMX install locations, check for things like Peerguardian or PGLite, remove hosts file entries from all groups and will not alter your WinMX in any way if you have it installed already.  The installers are the patch only solution for you.

4) Problem with Installer.
Symptom:  Installer fails or stops and doesnt finish installation.
Cure: Download the installer of the WinMX Version you use now, and 'save' it to your machine, in a location you can find.  Do NOT run the installer from the download dialoge box, this causes it to need to run from the 'Temp' folder which is not ideal.

There has been one report of increased CPU and a que clearing issue that turned out to be a MxMonitor setting, and a issue with room droppage since the update by one user, however, that has always been a problem for hosts and most report less droppage with this WinMX Community Patch, so that doesn't warrant making it to this list.

As you can see from my list really very minor issues if any and those that are having issues, the root cause is usually down to something on the system that needs adjustments. There are well over 100,000+ users now on this new patch, and most are finding the update pain free and problem free. 

A note for those that haven't updated yet.
Please if you have been waiting to update to let others make sure its ok first, take this as a sign its ok.  Remember the patch update is important because it fixes some major issues of connecting for secondary users and for third party software like bots or servers, that affect the entire network.  As long as you or others keep using older patches this problem will persist for users of that software, even if your not one of them you could still be causing problems.

If any one has any questions about this post or the information contained in it please just ask.

Offline Storbinc

• WMW Volunteer
Re: WinMX Community Patch: Known Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 10:40:33 pm »
we love Eagle's Community Patch & WinMX's 'Special' Elf
can't we all just get along?

just because they are out to get you doesn't mean your not paranoid

SexySinner

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:28:50 am »
what about the problem with MX Monitor?

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 02:12:42 pm »
their is no problem with mxmonitor as far as i know. It did have in the beta testing but the final release doesnt. Unless of course you have a problem and yu can let us know what that is?
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Yiu Korochko

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 12:38:03 am »
yo every time i try to install this, Kaspersky and CounterSpy go nuts. About a month ago i turned off both these programs and a proccess called uninstall.exe deleted all my fonts, preventing me from seeing anything, then slowed my computer right up. i cant find any real versions anymore. im pretty sure the real WinMX had a specific file size like 3.55MB or something, if less or more then it was a virus. anyway running vista 64 but it shouldnt rip apart my OS so yeah, email 4 details plz *email address removed for your protection Korochko-ñòóKýçrÕôK*

Offline ñòóKýçrÕôK

• my name is nooks, and I approve this message
  • MX Hosts
  • Dream BIG, Live BIGGER!!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 12:56:31 am »
Hi Korochko, removed your email for your safety but it is associated with your post so if we need to email you we can. As for the uninstaller removing your fonts I have never heard of that happing to anyone before. Can you please tell me where you got the installer from so it can be investigated if need be? As to give you some explaination as to why your antispy and/or antivirus might hit on it I can say that these programs keep refference files on how virii and trojans are written and their behavior. If a certain so much of any file on your pc anywhere reads close enough to a virus detection signature it will hit on it and sound off. If you got the installer where I hope you got it I can assure you it's perfectly safe though. And don't worry, some versions of avast's virus definitions will trigger it to hit on settings.dat in the WinMX folder also but it is as they call, a false positive. Hope that clears things up some for you.
When you wake up each morning always try to remember tomorrow is never your option, it's God's. Love like you want to. Live like you aren't afraid. And ALWAYS try to remember that even if it seems personal it's never as important as something you may have forgotten to do today.

WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE - For WinMX help or help on other pc related matters.
WinMXWorld.com Cafe_AE182F4ECAFE - For great chat.

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 03:38:45 am »
WinMX has never has a file size of 3Mb as its always been a compressed release, I have all the original versions in the site archive and a list of the MD5 hashes associated with them here

https://forum.winmxworld.com/index.php?topic=1242.0.html

Yiu Korochko

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 09:06:25 pm »
Hi Korochko, removed your email for your ...
Yeah turns out it fried my computer. had to reformat and everything... i think i got it from the Community site, the broken one anyway.
Further details are: I ran installer, Kaspersky flagged program "Uninstall" in the background trying to access files, i allowed, fonts deleted, comp hang, fail.

I got a working WinMX from a torrent site. Torrents ARE much better but...WinMX has all the REALLY RARE stuff so using is abusing lolz WinMX 4eva
Sites WinMX is located...:
winmxworld.com
winmx.co.uk/What_is_WinMX_Software
oldapps.com/winmx
Im pretty sure the bad one is approx. 1.44 MB in size so WATCH OUT!

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 09:38:39 pm »
Hi Yiu Korochko,
it sounds like that uninstall.exe was a trojen type of virus, they are very destructive, its possible you picked it up off a bogus site that clamed to provide Winmx,
a friend i know suddenly found an anti-virus program running, one she did not install herself, it tried to close the normal program she uses and this would pop up a scanning window stopping her accessing the net every time,
it turned out she had visited a site by accident while googling, as you do, and it installed itself without her knowledge,
this was a virus in itself and the only way to remove it was delete its entries in the registry, or format the drive.

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Yiu Korochko

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 08:03:01 pm »
Hi Yiu Korochko,
it turned out she had visited a site by accident while googling, as you do, and it installed itself without her knowledge,
this was a virus in itself and the only way to remove it was delete its entries in the registry, or format the drive.
Yeah, i had a similar thing happen in college when i was developing applications for my coursework
windows update installed it and kept saying the internet was too dangerous to access
though that computer was an xp buisness, and my computer is windows 7
whatever that MX installer had in it was evil, but i have a working version with the last of the patches etc and dont need to worry as ive backed them up to my external hard disk
thanks for all your help ( ^▼^)b

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 05:08:41 am »
I came across a problem quite awhile back and forgot all about it until today while snoopin around my comp

if i start winmx with mxmoni, and then look in my winmx folder and open the oledlg.ini the upnp is set to /enableupnp 1

also if i change this setting back to /enableupnp 0 and run winmx on its own without mxmoni it will stay set at /enableupnp 0
until i start mxmoni... once mxmoni has been started i look back in the oledlg.ini file and its changed to /enableupnp 1

I manually forwarded ports, but do have upnp enabled in the router for other comps on the home network that need it for other p2p programs

Cant seem to find a way of using mxmoni without it changin the upnp setting... any ideas?

Offline Max™

• MX Hosts
  • If Im Not Back later... Wait Longer
    • Maxtech
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 06:43:43 am »
yep,
idea: start winmx, when its connected, then starts mxmoni, it will pick up mx as already running, they should both work fine this way and moni cant change the /enableupnp

Try Connecting, the attacks may let you  https://patch.winmxconex.com/

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 06:57:51 am »
Hi max thanks for the reply... but i want upnp to be  /upnp 0

i can run winmx as long as i want without mxmoni and it will stay as /upnp 0, but as soon as i start mxmoni it changes it to /upnp 1

:S

i'll have to mess with it some more and maybe remove winmx from my firewall rules and let it re-ask for permissions

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 08:51:18 am »
not sure if winmx will still work this way but what if you make the ini read only?
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 08:58:07 am »
That seems to be working so far, thanks Joshua :)

Before as soon as i would start mxmoni and check the oledlg.ini file it changed immediately to /upnp 1

Just tried your suggestion and it never changed this time

cheerz

Offline Joshua203

• MX Hosts
  • www.DutchaGoGo.com
    • www.DutchaGoGo.com and a few more like WinMX.ComXa.com and WinMX.ExoFire.net
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 09:15:45 am »
great, though i do think it s weird moni can do this and why :/
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Edition, CPU Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5 Genuine Intel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, RAM: 12GB

Offline Savage Blades

• Forum Member
    • DJ Hire
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 10:47:34 am »
If you have a copy of oledlg.ini in mxmoni's program folder
then using moni to open winmx will not change the oledlg.ini in winmx's program folder
or
bundle all mxmoni's files into same folder as mx, would work too
My opinions, are mine !
They may, or may not reflect the views and opinions of other WinMX World Forum members !!
DJ Hire

Offline reef

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 05:00:05 pm »
Hey never thought of that either, good idea, thanks Blades  :)

sam

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 12:43:41 am »
Hi to all winmx users damn i am ticked off can't seem to get back my version 3.53 win mx have been trying for days can someone out there pleas help me this is so dumb. I've been trying other p2p sites.  Sam

Offline Bluey_412

• Forum Member
  • I'm Watching...
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 01:00:50 am »
umm, why not 3.54b4? It works perfectly

anyway, both are available at  https://patch.winmxconex.com

Of course, we cant give you back peculiar settings or a customised version...

Else what was 'Your' version?
What you think is important is rarely urgent
But what you think is Urgent is rarely important

Just remember that...

WinMX World :: Forum  |  WinMX Help  |  WinMX Connection Issues  |  WinMX Community Patch: Known Issues

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What program is this site about?:
What year is it next year?:
What's the name of the site this forum belongs to?:

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.026 seconds with 26 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx