gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfx
76774 Posts in 13500 Topics by 1651 Members - Latest Member: insider4ever March 28, 2024, 10:32:11 pm
gfx*gfx
gfx
WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  Open Source Section
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Open Source Section  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
Open Source Section
« on: November 12, 2008, 10:18:38 am »
Well folks ive been testing a few things last day or so and im going to be setting up some open source programmes which i will be sharing from my server over the winmx network. Now id like to know what sort of programmes you will be interested in. I recently moved over to linux and im made up with it but most folks dont know that many of the free programmes on linux are also about for windows. An their are many free alternatives to expensive Word/excel, DVD authoring tools that dont get much limelight. So maybe some of you are already using free alternatives and you can throw them up here so i can add them and get a pretty decent list knocked up. Please though dont just thow up links to sites of software you dont use as i will install them and maybe offer up a little write up. If it gets popular who knows a open source section alongside quicks popular news section  :lol: :P So yes, get posting.
The Solution to 99% of winmx problems

nap.winmxgroup.net        -ONLINE again YAY!!!!!! :D

Praise's daily at the church of "Kopimi"

Offline tig

• Forum Member
  • WinMXWorld.com Help_AE182F4EBABE
Re: Open Source Section
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:04:57 am »
sounds like a great plan... :D
People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves they have the first secret of success. BY Norman Vincent Peale

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 02:25:45 pm »
Ok ive uploaded OpenOffice3.0. This i have been using now for over a week at my work and i have to say now i dont notice the diffrence from using excel and word from microsofts expensive office line. Installations was simple, i had a few issues with linux as i didnt have the linux comparisons to windows fonts installed but on a windows install it installed out the box and worked instantly. The great thing about this is that its free and a very good if not better alternative to M$.

This file is shared as "Open Office 3.0[WmW].exe" ive added the little tag so that you can tell its from my serve, then name also incase your weary is "FreeServe"

Offline thunderwinds

• WMW Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 07:55:24 pm »
How about gimp 2.6.2.   I've used it for a while now on my linux computer and recently started using it on my windows one. I like it better than photo shop.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:04:16 pm »
Note: Avast, BitDefender, G-Data, Ikarus and Norman Antivirus falsely identify the one of the plugins as being infected with Win32:Trojan-gen, Trojan-Downloader.Agent or W32/DLoader.KQTO. If you're affected by this problem, please report it to the vendor of your antivirus, or change to another product.

gimp-2.6.2 [WmW].exe added an on the winmx network :-) MD5:b1c646b8e91c09218df88a78ed8e7034
Ta

Any more???

Offline GhostShip

• Ret. WinMX Special Forces
  • WMW Team
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 11:56:37 pm »
Great Idea Deux 8)

Can I add a small suggestion to this thread, how about a quick index list either in another locked thread or at the top of this one to indicate the programs and their hashes we can all obtain, so folks can quickly locate a these free/open src alternatives, also as you say a little write up would be a great idea and perhaps someone a  disappointment if a program is not so hot.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 09:37:14 am »
well i wanted to see what interest came its way, if people like it and its popular we could maybe set up a section, then i can make lists, tutorials or reviews etc. Im just fishing really, im still new to the free side lol so im still finding my way as to what free alternatives are the best to me, maybe a few more long term people on the free side will pop up and help.

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 02:59:33 pm »
Hmm, now let's see:

I like
Avidemux for video editing
MPlayer for watching videos
Amarok for listening to music and internet radio
Pidgin as a multi-protocol messenger (msn, yahoo, aim, icq etc)
XChat for an IRC client

and there are many more, unfortunately not all of those are available for windows yet or are still in alpha/beta status...

LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 04:00:07 pm »
thanks nylly, some good linux ones, most of them thanks to linux's setup can be gotten easy from within linux, im thinking more the hard to get treasures. Although ill be adding them as soon as possible and seeing what are windows efforts too.

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 04:23:50 pm »
Ok new one added today, this is a windows freeby

CDBurnerXP 4.2.3.1062

This is a free burner software, ive been playing with it today, i like the fact that it converts .bin files to .iso which is a handy little tool. Ive had no probs with it so far and appears to be another great free alternative that offers CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs copying/burning.

Its on the network now folks as CD Burner XP 4.2.3. Free [WmW].exe

Offline Lagerlout666

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 04:35:21 pm »
right another little gem brought forward thats both linux and windows.

The programme is called WinFF, its basicly exactly the same as WinAVI, but yet again its free :)
This was a little difficult to install on linux, i found reading here pretty important http://code.google.com/p/winff/wiki/DebianInstallation as with most things but it wasn't just quick and done so to speak as ive come to expect with many other things ive been playing with but was worth the messing in the end. I found this quick, clean and good for its size. The windows version is now on-line on the network as the file named below and linux install instructions are in the link above.

WinFF 1.43 [WmW].exe

Please if you have five mins try these softwares out and give me a little report, it doesnt have to anything special just a little good or crap etc ;) and if your having probs getting them on  a search you can browse FreeServe in the winmxworld chat room and grab them from thier.

Offline nylly444

• The /root of all evil ;-)
  • WMW Team
    • WinMX World
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 12:14:23 am »
Here's another favorite of mine:
Filezilla, a free ftp client well known to many windows users has been ported to Linux now also, as well as to MacOS

And btw, both Avidemux and XChat from my post above are available in windows versions and well worth checking out even if they originate from the Linux world :)

Avidemux does pretty much the same as Virtualdub which is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit Windows platforms (95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP),
licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It's very useful for video editing, reencoding etc.

XChat is a free replacement for mIRC and can do much of the same things although it won't support mIRC scripts.
It has a lot of it's own scripts and supports multiple script forms via plugins, i.e. perl, python, ruby etc
LINUX - Legendary Intelligent Needful Universal Xperienced

WinMX World :: Forum  |  Discussion  |  Think Tank  |  Open Source Section

gfxgfx
gfx
©2005-2024 WinMXWorld.com. All Rights Reserved.
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx